Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on September 25, 2005
*Post review EDIT* The Title 'Beyond positive thinking' is explained in the book to mean something along these lines: The idea of thinking positive is flawed in a very fundamental way. Many times when we are confronted with a situation in our lives that cause us pain, we are encouraged to think positive about some aspect of that situation so that we can find some peace about it. But finding the positive in a painful situation doesnt help us to solve the underlying problem that caused us the pain, it just gives us a coping mechanism. The concept of going 'Beyond Positive Thinking' teaches you to see the situation for what is really happening and then discovering the root of what is causing the pain so that we can then focus on the solution to that problem that is causing the pain. The way that this book teaches you how to do that is described below in my origional post *End EDIT*

I have been reading and skimming success books for some time now, I am fairly young, but the subject of perceiving reality as it truly is really interests me. One of my goals is to become a master of my thoughts and emotions. This book is really helpful if you are interested in finding the truth in any situation in your life.

Many times in people relationships there are many different perspectives... what this book teaches is how to get to the truth of the situation by seeing around the perspectives we place on situations in our lives. The focus on the book is to get you to understand that we all have our own way of interpreting reality, but our interpretations are filtered through our accumulated experiences and therefore are not processed by the mind as they really are, but as we perceive them to be. If we can become aware of our environment in a present moment awareness and a willingness to not judge positive or negative of any situation, then we are more apt to see things as they truly are and we will then understand the truth of the moment and then have the ability to respond accordingly to it. Basically it replaces the idea of thinking positive or negative with the concept of 'Right thinking' and 'Wrong thinking.

Also this book teaches you not to judge yourself or anyone else for that matter. It teaches you to replace your judgements of yourself with 'observation of yourself'. In other words, if we will just watch how we act in certain situations, we can learn so much about the way we think. If you feel yourself getting anxious in a certain situation, dont panic about it, Calmly watch the situation unfold and do not judge yourself over it. Allow yourself to be anxious and see yourself as you go through it. Then learn from it! That is what it is all about....

Like I said, the book is Deep, but it is written in a very Simple format and the ideas here will strike you with stunning clarity. There is no hype in this book; just plain speech.

If you are looking for a book that teaches the fundamentals of the human mind and how to overcome fear and all other human folly, then I would sincerely recommend you buy this book then read it twice!
11 comment|72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 2, 2006
If you read a lot of self improvement books and find the same information presented again and again, try Robert Anthony's material. All the newer "gurus" like Tony Robbins and Joe Vitale blatantly took Robert Anthony's material and re-wrote it. Badly.

There may be typos in this particular book, but it's straightforward, easy to read, and is well-written (unlike most of the more modern hype).

My daughter is a thirty-eight year old going for her PhD in Psych. She reads everything she can get her hands on regarding self help, self improvement, etc., and she's been complaining that everything is beginning to sound alike. I gave her a copy of Beyond Positive Thinking, and she loved it.

Buy this book. Enough said.
44 comments|77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2005
I truly believe that every person can learn a great deal about themselves by reading and implementing the recommendations in this book. I would reiterate what many of the other reviewers mentioned here. Take more control of your life and put it on a better track to not only achieve your goals but interact with the world.

That said I would like to say to the author that this is absolutely the worst edited book I have ever read. There are so many examples of a "the" that should be "he" or and "of" that is in a sentence that shouldn't be there, or similar grammatical mistakes. Interestingly these are not errors that would be picked up by a spell checker in a word processor.

Despite that, the book can truly change our life. It is all up to you.
on January 9, 2007
This book is an entirely new approach to changing old ingrained patterns of thought. Positive thinking, says Dr. Anthony, doesn't work. How true that is. How often has it been recommended and tried. Dr. Anthony has a new approach that actually works, is very simple, but requires constant monitoring of your moods and self-talk. It's simple, but requires vigilence and practice. It works. Ask my formerly depressed husband who's life has turned around. He'll tell you. We first read this as an e-book several weeks ago, then ordered copies to give as Christmas presents. Everyone who received it, loves it.
on April 14, 2006
I put off buying this book for a long long time, It has always been on my list, but I always seemed to put it off or overlook it. I wish I had bought it earlier to begin applying the principles into my life. Folks, this may be the best book on this subject i have ever read, it certianaly is in the top five and I would suggest everyone I know to read this book.

Why? Becuase, Dr Anthony has provided the clearest explanation of why we have what we currently have and the best explenation I have ever read to how to get to where you want to go and to get what you want to get.

I now for the first time truly inderstand that life is lived from the inside out and that when it comes to getting what I want in life it is not a matter of "I believe it when I see it" but rather a matter of "I will see it when I believe it".

We truly do live the lives that we have brought on ourselves and when we change how we see wealth, health and happinesss and begin to see that we can have and deserve wealth , health and happiness than it will come to us.

As a Christian I endorse this book, even though it isn't a "Christian Book" becuase I believe that the laws mentioned in this book were placed on this planet by God and are indeed the laws and concepts behind Faith and having Faith that are mentioned in the Bible, I also believe that the law of attraction is the mechinism behind Jesus saying that if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you can move that Mountian.

Do yourself a HUGE favor and get this book or the CD series offered on DR. Anthony's web site and apply what you read. Your life will change.
on September 5, 2005
I tend to agree with Wesley Spear. It is a shame such a gem of a book has such poor editing. It became very distracting and I started looking for errors rather than absorbing what was being said. After the second reading I started ignoring the errors. This book, with all it's typo's etc, is still a treasure to be kept and reread often.

As for John Zxerce's comments, he needs to get a life.
*****
This isn't a perfect book, but it was so valuable I couldn't rate it less than five stars. "Beyond Positive Thinking" goes beyond introductory Law of Attraction (LOA) books like "The Secret" and the Abraham-Hicks books to a deeper exploration of LOA. It will appeal to people who want to know more and who want to understand why.

An example: "Anytime your mind is out of the present moment you cannot receive the answer you need from Higher Intelligence." This makes sense to me, and helps me to understand why I would want to stay present and mindful, although I'd never thought of it this way. Another example: exploring the Law of Circulation (with respect to money), which is one reason money is called "currency"---as an "idea in action" it will flow one way or another, either flowing with life (which is what you want) or with unexpected expenses (which is what you don't want) when there is a blockage.

This book is recommended and promoted by Joe Vitale, a popular speaker and author of LOA materials. He calls it the one book he would have on the LOA above all others.

The flaws: Some recycled information (for the advanced student), poor editing, light self-promotion. The flaws are very minor compared to the great value of the information.

If you are not an advanced student of the LOA, I would recommend Michael Losier's "The Law of Attraction" instead of this book.

It is a book I will read again and again. Highly recommended.
*****
on October 26, 2005
If you have low self-esteem or self-image, this is the book you need to pick up and read over and over and over again.

This book actually gives you instructions on practical application in your life, something missing from most self-help books I've read in the past.
on February 18, 2007
I've been watching and listening to The Secret for months, but reading Beyond Positive Thinking helped pull it all together. I truly understand what I am doing in this life and that I have the power to change anything I decide to change. Beyond Positive Thinking goes beyond "wishfull" nonsense and puts all the control in your hands or mind. The life we live is by choice and Beyond Positive Thinking helps us to make incredible choices.
on April 15, 2008
This book has an interesting history. In 1973 it was created as a series of audio cassettes; in 1988 turned into a book and in 2004 rewritten with the original title restored, a good title. (Anthony's publishers have foisted a couple of dumb titles on his books.) In my view this book is golden, the Mt. Everest of self-help books. Don't be fooled by its briefness because Anthony makes every sentence count and there is more than 30 years of experience behind it, which gives it clarity. True, some people have sniffed out the spirituality grounding this book and reacted like Dracula to the cross. The fundamentalists also, the "if Adam and Eve were not real people then the whole Bible is a lie" type of thinkers, won't like it. But that's their loss. The spirituality gives the book depth, power and roots which all the "no sweat, get rich quick" books lack. There is just one problem. Most people will read this book and go on to the next self-help, success book. But those who read it again and again and diligently, patiently, put its teaching into practice may find a miracle in their life. (I regret that Anthony keeps such a low profile and his life very private, since you always want to know an author you admire. Still, its the message that counts, not the credentials. Those who want to see where the ideas in this book came from can go to Anthony's "Ultimate Secrets of Total Self-Confidence," a hype title but a good book.