5.0 out of 5 stars THE TRUE HISTORY OF OUR WORLD, November 19, 1999
By A Customer
The most powerful, cohesive summary of world history I have ever read. Supported by incredible research (500+++ footnotes per chapter). Marilyn French has formed a work of such astonishing clarity and vision that I am at a loss as to how describe it. Buy it, read it, and LEARN!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best desciption of the evolution of Patriarchy I've read, April 14, 1999
By A Customer
This book traces the origins and developement of the cult of power showing how the way that we are culturally organised today with men or pseudo men in positions of power was not always this way and is therefore not 'God given'.
She also shows that it has become so entrenched in our world that it does not exist in any place such as politics, industry, church etc but is now in all of us, in the way we think how we see and interpret things, and that we all need to look into our selves to find the way out of this. With an excellent grasp of the undertow of history she also shows that there have been many revolutions against power but they have all been squashed or assimillated into power, control and domination such as the Langadoc area in France the location of Chivalry, a sort of worship of the feminine that was destroyed by the only Crusade to take place in Europe.
So what to do if the more things change the more things remain the same. Read it and find out! Its a worthwhile journey and it is an adventure not to mention a step along the road to what we could be.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most powerful book I have ever read! My eyes are opened, May 25, 1999
By A Customer
This book should be required reading in school because it is of such fundamental importance! I am giving a copy to every woman I know.

5.0 out of 5 stars an astounding work, January 14, 2010
Marilyn French's Beyond Power is a description and analysis of our world and how it evolved through centuries of change from a matricentric world to our present patriarchal world. She identifies the element men have used for millenia to maintain supremacy: the continuing and unlimited search for power. Her analysis takes into consideration every aspect of life; she unifies her discussion by showing us how the quest for power over nature is man's focus. According to French, men see women as part of nature, which means they must conquer women as they are attempting to conquer nature. Of course men cannot completely overpower nature: life and death get in the way, as well as cancer and viruses and weather and earthquakes. French's book presents a unified argument which explains our world and how we have arrived at where we are. She also suggests a way to avoid the continued taking of power, which she sees as leading to totalitarianism. This book is one of the most important I have ever read. It is well worth the time it takes to read more than 500 pages. It is a tour de force.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Single Greatest Work of Non-Fiction that Exists on Planet Earth., February 2, 2012
I read this book in '86 and one could say that it "ruined my life," but in the best possible way. More than it "opened my eyes," I'd say that it "scoured the cataracts of culture" from them. I was asleep and did not know it. I was blind and mute and did not know it. I knew I was powerless but did not know why. This book explains all those concerns and absolutely WILL blow a huge, new vista into one's brain and world view. Anyone, (of any gender, age or orientation) who reads this book cannot/will not be the same afterward; nor should they be. When consciousness arrives, there can be no going back to darkness. This book spells out in perfectly clear form how and why the rules that run the world hurt men and women both equally...that NO ONE is exempt from the costs of the "adopted" rules we have chosen to live by. This book does not give a solution, but instead inspires individual solutions from every single soul who reads it, and in the most monumental ways. This book was way ahead of it's time, (having been published in the money grabbing, exploitive 80's,) but humanity is finally at a moment where this knowledge, wisdom and point of view will no longer be ignored by the peoples of the world. Everyone who reads this book senses deep in their hearts that what it says is true.
This is THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT BOOK I HAVE EVER READ, or even held in my hand. I honestly would die to gurantee that people all over the world could have access to this book. It neither steals nor denigrates "true" faith but points the entire planet toward harmony of every realm. PLEASE! PLEASE! Buy this book and share it with every single person you know. Start a study group and watch your entire community change for the better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Power by Marilyn French not Romanticized----, August 26, 2001
Beyond power is an excellent book which I do not feel deserves the criticism of being romantic toward matrarchy. In fact Dr. French prefers a "cenric" morphology when making matri- words (I believe) over the domineering "arch". (She loves females as they should be loved and respected.) This book is far from romantic in any way--it is a book of liberation over oppression and deserves a good couple of thought-out readings. She is not toward woman becoming an oppressive figure over the male; that would be hypocritical. Her message needs to still be heard and heard the world over. BP is a book of broad scope and it is here where I see a divergent and intense mind seeking a beautiful cause-- but does she go too broad--no pun intended. I just question if a book of that scope can be written by anyone without being a tad fantastic and out of pure fact. I love the book and its message and I know that Dr. French has changed lives in a positive way. Men (who think above subcortex) should not be scard to read BP. I believe in positive feminism and as a man I see her book as truth--a good broad truth for the global thinker. Thanks,' Doug Anderson

5.0 out of 5 stars A Noteworthy Book on Social Issues, November 6, 2013
Able Baker "Able Baker" (Corvallis, OR United States) - See all my reviews
I was very impressed with this book - engaging, well written, and a fascinating statement.

Anyone interested in social issues could benefit from this book.

Beyond Power: on women, men, and morals
Beyond Power: on women, men, and morals by Marilyn French (Paperback - 1985)
Used & New from: $0.59