Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Beyond Tears: Living After Losing a Child, Revised Edition
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 16, 2011
This book has been a tremendous affirmation of my sanity in grief when friends are expecting a grieving parent to "get over it." There is no "getting over it."
It helps to know that my continued sadness in response to losing my daughter is not abnormal, but rather a natural grieving process. The reality is that grief is not a choice, that life will never be the same, that there will always be reminders of the life that could have been. The challenge for parents who have lost a child is to continue to live with tears that are never far from the surface.
on June 10, 2009
It's a read to help you find a roadmap of your own. I found that taking 9 different viewpoints was extremely validating. I lost my oldest son, Seth, a little over a year ago, and I've began and never finished numerous books. This one finally came through with insight that only those who have walked in our shoes can. It's not a fast read, but it's a great one.
on July 26, 2013
I lost my son on New Year's Eve and was sort of lost. I did not want to go to any sort of therapy or group meetings; I have always been a shy person. My husband suggested finding a book and I found this one. As I read it, I discovered that many of the little things that I could not do were written in these pages.

This book allowed me to know that the way I was feeling was ok and that there is no timetable for grief. I kept thinking that after 6 months I should feel better, but the women in this book made me realize that the grief does not go away; you just learn to manage it in whatever way you can.

Anyone who has lost a child should read this book; no matter how you are grieving, you will find that one of these nine women have probably felt the same things and it really is comforting to know that you are not the only one and that you are not going just a little crazy.
on January 28, 2014
I lost my son in a car accident 4 months ago. Reading helps me. This has been the most helpful book.
on January 30, 2014
I lost my son when he was 38 years old. The mothers in this book lost much younger children and the experience is very different. But I do believe that a mother's grief is different and this book speaks to that.
on November 10, 2012
This book made me see I was not crazy. The things I am thinking and feeling are common. I was searching for that feeling of connection and found it here. Even if I did not agree with everything it felt somehow comforting to listen to how others grieve. We just lost our 23 year old son so I have been reading and searching. I would highly recommend this book.
on February 3, 2016
I lost my 12 year old nephew the day before Thanksgiving. I am mourning, but I feel that my goal is to help my sister, because she lost her son. Before I review this book - I feel like every platform I get I should let people what a WONDERFUL child he was - how unique and extraordinary he was and how I miss him dearly. With that being said, I bought this book because I thought that maybe it would help my sister, but I wanted to read it first. I commend these mothers for sharing their stories and their emotions. They have opened their lives up to all of us. As I have read through this book my heart has broken 9 times. I wish I could have had the chance to meet all of their children. A lot of things that these mothers mentioned about how they felt, i.e. not being able to listen to music, how they felt as seasons changed, seeking out mediums, etc. I've heard my own sister mention. Right now I believe that my sister's pain is still very raw and I'm not sure she is really ready to read this book. The pain is too new. I think that that this book will be great for her to read, but I'm not sure it is what she should read right now. I can't explain exactly why - but something is holding me back from sending it to her at this time. One thing that is mentioned throughout the book is The Compassionate Friends support group and I did find a chapter in her area and contacted them and gave all her information.
I believe in time this book will be something she needs to read. But who knows - I've never experienced anything like this before in my life - so maybe she should be reading it now. I'm conflicted myself. I just don't want to add anymore sorrow into her life. I'm so protective of her right now.

Anyway - the book itself is a really great book for any parent who has lost a child and needs to validate their feelings. Having not been through that experience myself and am witnessing it from an Aunt's point of view - it's the worst possible thing to ever happen to another human being. I pray for all of the parents who have to bury their children. God bless you all.
on April 19, 2014
I gave this & 3 other similar books to a friend whose son was murdered. She loved it and shared it with the victim's brother & father.
on November 22, 2015
The book gave me new insight into being supportive to a friend who has lost an adult daughter. I now know I should never expect my friend to be "normal" again, but there are many ways I can still help.
on March 14, 2015
I lost my son a month and 10 days ago. I couldn't go back to work and couldn't function at home. This book gave me hope and connection. I felt that I am reading about my confusion and despair. I am the 10th mother, it's also my story. Thank you for your beautiful effort to comfort me when I needed it most.