Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation Learn more

on October 17, 2005
Just because you can't take the initiative to simply read the track listing on an album BEFORE you buy it doesn't give you the right to give it 1 star because it is not what you thought. That is your fault you didn't get what you wanted. Digable Planets are incredibly different than anything you will ever hear. Truly original and innovative unlike your Kanye West types and P-Diddy rip off artists. Thier sampling is only used to enhance the talent they already possess, not hide the talent they don't.

The track listing alone is worth the buy. I would recommend the other two albums as well.
on October 29, 2005
I admit I initially thought this was a new album, but then I saw the tracklist and realized it was a collection of sorts. So what we get here is a couple remixes, a couple b-sides, and the "better" tracks from their two albums. A few more tracks would have been nice, and I'd easily swap "Nickel Bags" for "It's Good To Be Here". Overall though I like what's included. Obviously a new album would have been more welcome, but at least we get something from them, and they are on tour as well.
on November 6, 2005
As another reviewer said, the first reviewer's low mark isn't based on a valid point. The point of this album was to be a remastery of the better Digable tracks. There are also some tracks that did not show up on the albums, which is a bonus.

If you are new to Digable Planets, I highly recommend this work, for every song on this CD is ace. These people are the kings (and one queen) of psychadelic chill out hip hop. The rhythm production also helps out a bunch. Many of the tracks sample older songs, but the producers (including King Britt) do it so tastefully and respectfully that they would have been hot beats without the use of a sample.

Get this and I'm sure you'll be hooked. If you like them, also get "Uptown Saturday Night" by Camp Lo. There's another group I could go on about.
on October 17, 2005
I'm still baffled by the fact that dude(1st review) says he likes Digable Planets but gave the album 1 star. Strong choice man way to make a stand. Anyway, for the rest of you who CAN read or actually bother to do a little research about an album before you buy it, yes this is basically a best of collection with a few tweeks thrown in here and there. I think it is a great intro to one of the best "underground" hiphop groups ever. The lyrics are smart and the beats are mellow. This ablum just goes to prove that good music stands the test of time. I am glad to here that the group is back to together and I really hope they do decide to drop a new album soon.
on February 25, 2006
Even to a huge fan of Dig Ps this CD was not at all impressive. Don't get me wrong, what's on it is the some of the best music ever created...the problem is... I've already got it all. If you have their first two cds then this is really only worth it if you have an unsatiable curiosity about those extra tracks. They're ok. If you don't have the old ones..then pick them up first!
VINE VOICEon July 15, 2006
First of all, those fooled into thinking this is Digable Planet's long awaited reunion album will be disappointed, for it is not. This is a collection of Digable Planets music from their time together between 1993 and 1995. The concept of this album is very similar to the A Tribe Called Quest collection "Hits, Rarities, and Remixes", if you are familiar with it. This album contains some singles and great deep tracks from the group's two albums, "Reachin' (A New Refutation of Time and Space)" and "Blowout Comb", but to convince old fans to buy it it also includes remixes of songs from those two albums and previously unreleased tracks from that period. Like I said about the Pete Rock & CL Smooth hits collection, a compilation of Digable Planets songs is kind of redundant and questionable considering they only released two albums over two years. However, if you are new to Digable Planets, this might be a good starting point, but I'd actually recommend buying their two albums instead because they are both amazing, there's no track worth skipping on either one. Digable Planets is one of hip hop's most underrated groups, making a trademark fusion of hip hop and jazz that was some of the most artistic and beautiful music I've heard. From Doodlebug, Butterfly, and Mecca's beautiful voices to the live instrumentation, sampling, and lyricism, "Reachin'..." and "Blowout Comb" are two of the best albums I've heard. Digable has never received their proper respect and remains a largely unheard group ten years later.

Bottom line, a long time Digable Planets fan might want this album for collection purposes, but in my opinion, new fans should pounce on their two albums instead. The content on "Beyond the Spectrum" is excellent, and you can't really go wrong by buying it, but Digable's two albums are definitely worth the purchase.
on April 22, 2013
The Bass is so dope that I played #9,10,& 13 over and over! My son liked it from the start and didn't realized it was old school until the later songs.
on November 30, 2012
This is a great CD and music to match. I own their previous two cd's and this is a good mix of their songs w/ a few remixes on the cd.
on July 24, 2015
i'm getting this basically 4 both the never released and remix versions of songs. overall, a great greatest hits collection.
on November 16, 2015
Couldn't wait to add this to my collection...