5.0 out of 5 stars Great read! I finally "get it"!
Published on February 13, 2012 by Lou Ann Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars An easy-to-read introduction
Published 16 months ago by Rick Nichols

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read! I finally "get it"!, February 13, 2012
Lou Ann Thomas (Oskaloosa, KS USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bhagavad Gita For Beginners: The Song Of God In Simplified Prose (Kindle Edition)
I can't remember how many times I've taken my copy of Bhagavad Gita down off the shelf to read. Not far into it I've felt lost and, well, a little stupid. What relief to finally find a translation that makes sense to me, is easy to follow and provides the inspiration that I've been looking for in all those other attempts to read this ancient tome!! I have no doubt that the next time I pull my more detailed volume of Bhagavad Gita off the shelf I will be able to read through it with more depth of understanding. I highly recommend this for anyone wanting a true primer and greater understanding of the original prose!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, March 23, 2012
I have to say that I've read other translations/versions of the Bhagavad Gita. I personally have studied the cultural background of this and other books of Hindu faith (I was a theology major in college.), but have always found parts of the Bhagavad Gita hard to understand. And when I'm not really 'getting' what I'm reading I find it hard to retain the message. What Edward has done here is give us the message of the Bhagavad Gita in a form that the western mind can wrap around and retain. This really brings the message of the text into a form that is within the grasp of anyone who is open to the idea of God without limits and the knowledge of the eternal origin of all.

3.0 out of 5 stars An easy-to-read introduction, March 30, 2013
This would be a good door opener if you have some interest in the Bhagavad Gita. Some years back I began a study of the Gita and bought this book to get me restarted on that path. It pretty much accomplished what I wantewd it to do with a quick, easy and pleasant read. Don't expect it to go into any detail though, as it simply skims along the surface of the story without revealing much of its deeper meaning.

That said, if you are just getting introduced to the story this would be an excellent way to get started.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Copy!, March 1, 2012
Sita Sun (Santa Rosa, Ca. USA) - See all my reviews
I have read numerous copies of the Bhagavad Gita but this one is my favorite. It is so much easier to understand and I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely delightful read, November 25, 2012
A brilliant, sensitive and respectful modernization of a world classic spiritual text.

"Bhagavad Gita for Beginners: The Song of God in Simplified Prose," is made beautifully accessible by Dr. Edward Viljoen and Randall Friesen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, November 25, 2012
I own a beautiful hardbound illustrated version of the Bhagavad Gita that I've tried to read many times, but just couldn't get through any of it. It looked good on the bookshelf, but that's about all. Then I saw this version "for beginners" and "in simplified prose" and for only $.99! I decided to try this "simplified" version, and I'm so glad I did. At last the story made sense, and I can understand why the Bhagavad Gita is considered a masterpiece. I heartily recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!, November 25, 2012
I just finished Dr. Edward's book paraphrasing The Bhagavad Gita. Loved it! I have been trying to work through it on my own for years and now, after reading this interpretation, I am ready to tackle Yogananda's version. Thank you!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting and Brilliant, November 25, 2012
Once again Edward brings a wonderfully intelligent and uplifting awareness to the world's spiritual consciousness and moral goodness. He regularly delivers such pure wisdom and grace that he is one of the people that we should continue to listen to. Wonderful book

3.0 out of 5 stars Text repeats in last few pages, January 19, 2013
The book is quite short. Until I read a more traditional version of the book, I am not going to feel sure about how I feel about this version. But I am hoping that it will help understand what's going on when/if I read a more flowery version. The very modern language does seem a little weird to me. A god saying things like "Ok, ok" just seems jarring.

On a more technical note, the last few pages of the book repeat themselves on the Kindle version. I don't think any text is cut out or left off, but I am uncertain, since this is my only copy. The book is essentially dialogs between Arjuna the Prince, and Krishna; relayed by Sanjaya the seer. At the end, Sanjaya wraps things up, but suddenly the dialog between Krishna and Arjuna from a few pages back starts repeating from "In the mode of ignorance and indifference."

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, November 26, 2012
I am so grateful for this beautiful book! I attended Edward Viljoen's class at Center for Spiritual Living, Santa Rosa some time ago and it, too, was a sweet, heart-opening and eye-opening experience which continues to bless me to this day. This book will also continue to bless my days. Grateful for the teaching, so ancient and beautiful, and grateful for the love put into this sweet book - timeless.

Rate and Discover Movies