Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now PlasmaCar

on January 8, 2009
We felt this movie was a nice little charmer. We didn't find it was like a weak horror film' as another reviewer experienced it (in fact there isn't any horror just a few symbolic scares initially to show the ghosts usual intentions).
Amitabh does a nice job with the ghost and relates to the kid well. SRK and Juhi Chalwa stay solid in the background as it really story about the ghost and the boy- and the few other characters aren't as central. It is for those who enjoy the sentimental and good-hearted movie and about ghosts finding their salvation!
There are some OK songs and dance. Amitabh adds a few hiphop moves to his usual limited dance moves but does it with charm. Large groups of kids get their chance to strut their stuff too.
Western children would probably enjoy it but probably wouldn't be bothered reading subtitles or couldn't manage them. So it is for those young at heart (in our case the viewers were in late 20s and 50s!)
It's a nice little movie and even a few tears welled at some of the more moving (though sentimental) scenes.
I gather it didn't do well at the box office yet carries a 'to be continued..' at the end. Well if they did make a sequel we'd seek it out.
Not for the skeptics or realists but for others a quiet charmer of good heart.
review image
on February 20, 2009
I found this to be a very interesting - and entertaining - movie. First, it takes place in Goa. We have some friends from Goa, and were very surprised to learn from them of its Christian heritage. Legend says that St. Thomas traveled to India and converted some people to Christianity; historically, it was the Portuguese who ruled Goa for 450 or so years who brought Christianity (often by repressive means). So, it is not surprising that the bumbling 'burglar wears a crucifix, nor that little Banku goes to St. Francis school. [In Malaysia we once met a family where the mother was Confucian, the father was Hindu, and the children went to a Christian school.] It seems that the family is actually Hindu, but that Banku goes to a Catholic school.

In spite of the differences in religion, there are many universal good lessons that are brought out, and should be good for children to see. One, when Banku wants the 'angel' to help him win a race, he is taught that there are no shortcuts - it takes hard work if you want to be a winner. The over-riding lesson is one of the need for forgiveness. The 'reason' the 'ghost' has not been able to go on to the next world is because neither he nor his son would forgive each other for past rifts. This lesson is brought about in a very entertaining way. There are many scenes where both my wife and I laughed out loud; there is a bit of slap-stick, but mostly it is more akin to British dry humor.

Bollywood movies are getting closer in quality to Hollywood movies, but it still has a way to go. In some areas I felt as if I was watching a musical from the late 1950's. There is nothing that would be objectionable to traditional values families; especially if one can understand that Hindus believe in a different way to salvation from Christian beliefs.

This is quite a long movie - 2 hours, 16 minutes - but it doesn't drag. We took longer than that to watch it, however, because many of the subtitles were on the screen so short that we could not finish reading them. Also interesting is that the characters switch back and forth between their language and English without seeming to be away of it. A sentence may start out in their language and finish in English!

I think I'll show this to my preschool grandsons and see if they can follow it even though they don't understand the language. Over all, it is a very enjoyable family movie, ones North Americans immigrated from India should seek out to show their children.
on May 4, 2011
When i went to the movie, i was expecting it to be a kiddish movie, and since it is coming from Bollywood, i thought the presentation and the special effects would be amateurish.. But i must say, i was really surprised by the movie narration and direction. The special effects were fantastic, of the standards i have seen in Hollywood movies (seriously i am not kidding on this...), particularly the introduction scene where Amitabh tries to frighten the kid. Also the part with the dry leaves have also been handled very deftly both from the technology point of view and from the story narration point of view. On the whole without realizing i enjoyed the movie thoroughly. I am taking out the 1 point, if only the ending could have been more crispier... Check out for its sequel ..!!!. Go for it .. Trust me, you will not be disappointed.
on December 12, 2012
Bhoothnath is a charming movie. The main characters are the young boy Baku and the ghost of old Nath, who used to own the house Baku's family moves into. At first, old Nath tries to scare the mother and son out of the house, but when he realizes Baku is not afraid because he is convinced the old man is an angel, they become friends. This is a long movie (but not unusually long for a Bollywood movie), so be prepared to spend longer with it than you would your average blockbuster.

The film is neatly split into two halves, and if you just watch the first half, it's just a story about a boy and a ghost and their fun friendship. If you watch both parts, it is a story of pride, forgiveness, and redemption. Old Nath's spirit is trapped in the house because his estranged son never came to perform his funeral rites. With the strong bond between old Nath and Baku, Baku's parents hope that their son can perform the rites by proxy and release the old man.

Some fun music and dance scenes, and - if you're interested in that sort of thing - some great examples of reverse cultural appropriation: The song about Baku and his rival shows the Indian take on Highschool football, American street gangs, etc. Enjoy!
on April 20, 2012
I bought this film because I am a fan of Shah Rukh Khan and I knew he would make a special appearance in the film. It was very enjoyable to see Shah Rukh Khan in the scenes he appeared in. I love Juhi Chawla, so it was a lot of fun to see her in this film, too. I am a fan of Amitabh Bachcham, so seeing him in this film was very enjoyable, too. The young boy actor did a fantastic job in his role. The friendship between the boy and the ghost is delightful. This is a very fun movie to watch. It's great for all ages of viewers to see. I highly recommend this film.
on July 30, 2013
Entertaining comedy starring two of India's premier actors, Bachchan and Khan. Story is sad, funny, and yet, heartwarming. Initially, my 8 y/o grandson was not interested in "reading" a movie. Yet as he watched (and read) the movie, he began to laugh out loud, in great guffaws. Asked if he enjoyed it, he replied that he really liked it, was glad he watched it, and thought parts of it were very funny and others sort of sad. Not bad for an 8 y/o critic. Mr. Bachchan's comedy is so effective in making a ghost/angel believable as a grandfather.
on October 9, 2013
My 10 year old nephew loved this film with or without subtitles. For him to say that it is one of his best films, even better than my Name is Khan or Ra.One, says alot about the film. We truly enjoyed it. Even though Shah Rukh was hardly in it, mostly in beginning and ending of film is when we see him in the film and some parts in between.
on March 22, 2013
who doesnt love Amitabh Bachchan. Andt i really loved this movie, I wasnt so sure I was gonna like seeing him as a ghost or angel, which ever you prefer. But it was amazing. Its funny, Its sad, its happy, Its everything you need for a great movie. And his co-star was a doll.
on January 30, 2015
A very touching movie and it's a great family film, a little too trendy on some of the dance numbers done by the children, but outside of that the story line is really quite good. Great acting, will make you laugh and definitely make you cry.
on March 30, 2013
This was a fun movie to watch and not scarey at all! Not enough of Sharukh Khan, though! It makes me wish I had my own angel/ghost to hang out with! This is the first Hindi movie I've see with Amitabh Bachchan and I loved him!