2,594 Reviews
 (1,979)

2,093 of 2,135 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Follow these tips for a unique coffee
Every family in Italy owns one of these machines. Here are a few tips:

1. In Italy this is NOT called an espresso machine, but a Moka machine. An espresso is what you would drink in bar made with a steam or high pressure machine with the crema on top.

2. Smaller size Moka machine tend to make better coffee.

3. Never wash the Moka with...
Published on February 3, 2007 by Thomas Speidel

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the real thing compare my pics
Not a Bialetti. Very, very cheap product. It doesn't even feel like metal. There isn't a brand or trademark. See my photos.

I have owned Biallettis before and the reviews you read for those can be trusted. They are great and last forever. All of the wonderful reviews are for the real thing. However, it seems like some of us are now being sent a very...
Published on May 16, 2012 by jlohome

2,093 of 2,135 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Follow these tips for a unique coffee, February 3, 2007
Every family in Italy owns one of these machines. Here are a few tips:

2. Smaller size Moka machine tend to make better coffee.

3. Never wash the Moka with detergents, just rinse it under tap water

4. You've gotta use it often for a good coffee.

5. If you haven't use it in a while, make a weak coffee ("lungo") and discard

6. DO NOT put the MOka in the dishwasher.

7. Use drinking water. Avoid tap water especially if very chlorinated

8. Never compress the coffee.

9. For a strong coffee fill the filter with ground coffee and make a small cupola that slightly protrudes beyond the rim. Do not press down.

10. For best coffee, heat at very low heat. It's ok if it takes 10min.

11. As soon as coffee reaches the top, remove from heat

12. Do not let the coffee boil

13. Use good quality coffee, not too strong, medium grind (try Illy for a good commercial brand)

14. Sip while still hot, enjoy!

15. (Added Nov 2012) - Wait until all the water has reached the upper chamber before removing from the heat. You will be able to tell by the sound (takes some practice) or simply visually. As soon as no more coffee reaches the upper chamber remove from heat. Do note let the coffee boil. With practice, you may remove from the heat even sooner, by just using the residual heat in the lower chamber.

16. (Added Nov 2012) - Some times you may put too much coffee, or the coffee is too finely ground, or it's been packed too hard. In all of these situations, the end results is typically that the coffee struggles reaching the upper chamber. You can tell by the spouting noise occurring too early, the foam occurring too early, and how slow the whole process is. You can try increasing the heat if that helps. However, you will likely end up with a coffee that is too bitter and tastes burned. Back in the old days, this was dangerous business with many machines exploding (they had no safety valves). Regardless, your coffee is ruined and I would suggest removing it frmo the heat immediately, let it coold down and starts all over.

17. (Added Nov 2012) - What kind of coffee should I use? Experiment, experiment, experiment! Here are some tips I have learned by experimenting. Until you become confortable with the operations of the machine, you can use a good commercial brand like Illy (although it's quite expensive). I wouldn't want you to blame the machine, just because you happened to use a bad coffee. Then start trying different varieties from different roasters. If there are independent roasters near you, why not giving them a try? I haven't had good experience with roasts marketed towards Espresso machines (I find the roast too excessive). Try to buy whole beans and grind them yourself. I find the cheap and popular brands pretty bad for Mokas, even if they happen to make good American style brews. I have had pretty good luck with small roasters and Colombian varieties (or Costa Rican). I have also had outstanding African coffees (Ethiopian). Unfortunately, I found they are seldom consistent.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best -- straight from Italy!, February 1, 2004
About 12 years ago I was in Milan, and a friend gave me one of these to take home. I have used it nearly every day since (I don't take it out of town), so that should give you an idea of how sturdy it is. It is the best coffee maker I have ever owned. To compare, I also have a high-tech espresso machine with frother; a state-of-the-art automatic drip coffeemaker; a French Press; and a different style of stovetop maker, which, surprisingly, makes a different brew. But I ALWAYS go back to my Bialetti Moka 6-cup for the best espresso and lattes. You even will get a crema effect with this simple pot. For lattes, I simply fill half a coffee mug with milk, heat it in the microwave until it's hot, and then top it off with espresso. It's low-maintenance -- every once in a while I replace the internal rubber gasket, which costs a buck or so, depending upon where you buy it. If you like your coffee like the Italians and the Cubans, then you will like the brew this serves. I am loyal to this simple little pot, and hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooo---ooo----oooo--th!!, October 2, 2007
***DO NOT OVERHEAT!***DO NOT OVERHEAT!***DO NOT OVERHEAT!***

There. I've done my good deed, and passed along the warning for the next person. Reading the translated-to-English directions, it's easy to miss this important cautionary note. In fact, it's not even IN the directions. It's written on the side of the box.

But fortunately, before my Moka Express ever arrived, I read another reviewer's cautionary note about avoiding HIGH heat (which can destroy the rubber gasket), so I didn't have any problem from the get-go.

And speaking of 'get-go' here's the deal. The FIRST time out (actually the second time, because the directions recommend that you dispose of the first batch), I had THE *BEST* ESPRESSO I EVER HAD. PERIOD. BAR NONE.

Using some Columbian coffee (that a friend had actually hand-carried from Columbia a few weeks ago), and setting my smallest burner (it's a ceramic-top stove) to just under "5" (10 being the hottest), the espresso that came out of this coffeemaker was INCREDIBLY smooth, and totally without the bitter taste that it can sometimes have.

If this is the result after using it ONCE, I'm looking forward to seeing how good it gets after I've had a chance to figure out the best combination of type of coffee/amount to use/fineness of grind/etc.

Also, for the price, it absolutely cannot be beat. The full pot yielded about six double-shots, so after just one use, it's almost half paid for!

I'm going to be drinking a lot more espresso. And cappuccino. And cafe-au-lait.

Oh well. Who needs sleep? It's overrated anyway! ;-)

-Jonathan Sabin

UPDATE... We put it in the dishwasher today.

DON'T make this mistake!

When we pulled it out at the end of the cycle, the shiny aluminum exterior had turned into a pretty ugly, uneven, dull finish. I'm sure it'll still work just fine, but it sure doesn't look as nice as it did before.

(ONE other review, among the 48 thusfar, mentions the dishwasher issue, but doesn't say why.)

UPDATE TO THE UPDATE... It's taken about 3 months, but a BUNCH of hand-cleaning has finally reverted our Bialetti to its former shiny state! It's STILL making the best espresso/cappucino I've ever had!

5.0 out of 5 stars The only drawback? You'll need a larger one for company..., August 3, 2005
This review is from: Bialetti 6799 Moka Express 3-Cup Stovetop Espresso Maker (Kitchen)
Recently picked up a 3 cup Bialetti Moka Express while on holiday and couldn't wait to get it home and broken in. I've tried stove-top Italian coffee makers before, and this model has not disappointed.

Sturdy and well made, this unit only has about five parts, all of them metal or heavy-duty plastic so very little can go wrong. This should last ages if properly cared for.

Just remember to keep it simple; fresh, cold water in the lower chamber (stopping *before* you get to the brass outlet valve) and fill the grounds basket with an espresso grind coffee (good excuse to buy more coffee) without packing it too tightly. Place on your stovetop ring and don't go anywhere. Wait a few minutes, and you have an excellent espresso to start the day or to add to steamed milk after dinner. I can't wait to have some with a cigar this weekend. I've been trying some Cafe Bustello the last few mornings and it's been great. Yeah, I know it's canned, but so are most of the coffees in Italy and Latin America.

The only problem I can foresee is needing a larger one for company, but unless you need gallons of espresso each morning, this is great for two to share.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little coffee maker for strong brew, March 13, 2011
This unit is a great little device for making strong coffee (somewhere between espresso and regular coffee, closer to the espresso side) in an elegant way, and it's designed to last a long time.

The coffee produced is extracted using steam that is generated when the bottom part of the pot gets heated from placing the unit on a stove top. You have to experiment to find the right low-to-medium heat to get the best results. Too low and it will not boil, but you probably want it just above that and not too hot. I have found a setting where it will boil in 5 mins, and then the coffee comes up in 1 minute or less. So, a total of 6 minutes, which is not bad at all. As mentioned, what's produced is close to what we call "espresso" in the US, but it is not the same thing. It is not as strong and with not quite the same taste as full-blown espresso created using an automatic or semi-automatic espresso maker. It's much stronger and more flavorful than regular coffee, though. I used the same Intelligentsia Coffee House Blend (a great coffee) through my French press and then the Moka pot, and the taste difference was eye-opening. Apparently, these stove-top coffee makers are the norm in Italy, and practically everybody has one.

If you enjoy taking your time making your coffee, this is a beautiful unit that creates great coffee (and apparently it gets better over time, as the coffee oils seep into the aluminum). And as mentioned, it's actually not that slow. It's a nice "coffee ritual." It's made in Italy. It only has three parts, which are easy to clean and look virtually impossible to break, so it will last.

The only potential downsides are:

(a) you need coffee ground to the correct size. Either you should get pre-ground Illy Coffee or else you should get a good grinder that can grind to just above espresso fineness. When using whole bean coffee, our old blade grinder does not work well at all with this (sometimes it's acceptable, sometimes hardly any coffee comes out), but we have a Vario on the way, so all is good... But it is a given that a grinder is extremely important regardless of what method of coffee brewing you use. So -- get a good grinder!

(b) you can only make the same amount of coffee each time. For example, we have the version that says 6 on the side (6 cup?) and it makes just enough for my wife and myself. (It doesn't actually make 6 cups, as far as I can tell -- it's more like 2 cups for us). That is, you cannot just put in less ground coffee and less water to make less coffee. If you do that, the mechanics of the steam don't work and you won't get proper coffee as a result. So, make sure you get the correct size for your use.

This thing is so cheap and well-made that anyone who loves coffee should have one around to try out or for occasional use. Ours will get regular use, alternating with our French press. I was very happy to find this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple. Consistent. Tasty. Bialetti., August 23, 2006
My wife and I have been spending a pretty penny at the local coffee shop, so I began looking for inexpensive home alternatives. Most of the coffee snobs claim you have to purchase a $200+ machine and $150+ grinder to have a decent cup of espresso. I turned instead to the frugal Italians. They did invent the stuff, afterall. My Bialetti Moka Express coffee pot came this afternoon. I was a little concerned that a $20 pot might not meet the high standards of the gourmet beverages wifey and I have become accustomed to. I was wrong. The brew made by this ingenious little pot is a little weaker than "pumped" espresso and lacks the foamy cap (crema) that all the snobs rave about, but mixed with some hot, frothed milk and a bit of chocolate syrup I couldn't tell the difference between Bialetti and Seattle's Best.

This rich brew comes from a tiny little aluminum contraption with no moving parts, no electronic gizmos, no pump handle and virtually no wait time or clean-up. You just fill, brew and pour. It's that simple. Its base only covers half of the stovetop's smallest eye and I expect it will be easy to store due to its diminuitive size. I've already had three cups of homemade mocha today, and I've only had the pot since noon! *jitter jitter* The point is this: If you're a coffee lover who is bored with Folgers from a Mr. Coffee drip machine or is spending way too much at Starbucks, the Moka pot is an inexpensive and easy-to-use alternative with excellent results.

5.0 out of 5 stars This thing is awful! Don't buy it, August 24, 2007
Unless you are ready to be ruined for any other coffee, and the three cup size will not be big enough! Decades of my life wasted. I've discovered real coffee so late in life, my only lament about buying this espresso pot is the tears shed over all those mornings I *could* have had REAL coffee...

Easy to use, a little time consuming to clean, handsome enough to leave out as a decoration. Unscrew the bottom, fill the bottom half with cold water, fill the little filter cup with fine ground coffee (note that "espresso" is a grind, not a roast), screw it back together, and put it on the stove top. In five minutes or less, you have the most incredible coffee ever. With the internal parts, it is not hard to clean, but time consuming, especially given the time it takes to cool off enough to take apart (the other reason to get a bigger one, the little one is too slow to reload).

The styling is a little retro, but handsome enough to lend a kitchen a quirky flair. Oh, but that's trivia next to the coffee that comes out of it.

I've been using a couple of Tchibo coffees in it with super results, and look forward to trying other fine grinds in it.

Don't do it, don't get this monkey on your back, don't ruin yourself for all those lesser coffee makers, and don't touch my espresso pot (we need alone time).

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite espresso maker of all time, April 23, 2004
Works great on the stovetop, works great when you're CAMPING..!!! No plugs, no cords, no nonsense -- fill the lower half with water to the indicated mark, put your grounds in the upper basket, join the two halves, wait for it to gurgle and you have EXCEPTIONALLY DELICIOUS espresso the way it ought to be made.
The device is simple and beautifully made. I'd recommend the six-cup version, the smaller versions just don't make very much espresso -- I mean, get the six-cup version if there are two of you, since that will make an adequate amount.
Really a brilliant product. I wish that everything was so well-designed and robust. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, January 3, 2012
I decided to go with this instead of a fancy pants espresso machine. I bought the 1-cup maker (makes 1 shot of espresso, not 1 cup of coffee fyi) and a frother, and I am so glad that I did!

When I first opened the espresso maker, I wasn't exactly sure how to use it. Not all of the directions are perfectly clear- I didn't know how high to fill the water (it says to the "lines," but I didn't see any lines), how much espresso to put in, or how long to let it sit for. I skimmed through a bunch of reviews and slowly pieced together all the info I needed....which I will put in one convenient place for you!

When you first get it, clean it with water. Everything I read- from the instructions to other reviews- say not to use soap. The instructions say to make your first batch and throw it away, which I did since I wasn't able to use soap to clean it.

If you get a larger maker, obviously you will need to adjust your measurements. For the 1-cup, put the water in the bottom piece up to the bottom of the valve (the thing on the wall of the base when you look in it). Put the metal filter in next and put 1 tbsp espresso in. Again, this makes one espresso shot. Screw the top on and put it on low-medium heat (I put it on 3 or 4 on my electric stove and that worked just fine). My burners are pretty big so I set it off to the side of the coils where it was directly on a few of them; I set the handle so it wasn't over the coils because I saw a lot of reviews about the handle melting.

When I made my first batch, I wasn't sure how long to wait; needless to say, I didn't wait long enough. With the 1-cup, it took about 5 minutes to see the espresso start to brew. As it brews, you can definitely open the top to take a peek. You have to guestimate when all the water has gone through (trial and error from using it a few times), and when it's all done, pour out your espresso into whatever you are drinking it from.

For an easy mocha- I heated 1/2 cup or so of milk in the microwave. I used Hershey's syrup (about 1 tbsp) and added it to the milk. I used my $7 milk frother (IKEA Produkt Milk Frother...if you live by IKEA, buy it in person for $2!) to mix the milk/syrup. I poured the espresso in a mug and added the chocolate milk to it. It was much more delicious than I expected for using plain ol' Hershey's syrup!!!

In conclusion, it's an awesome espresso maker. It's better than a machine because there are less parts to break, it's easier to clean, and it's definitely authentic!!

Enjoy :D

4.0 out of 5 stars Great coffee maker with proper care., September 11, 2006
I bought this espresso maker while in Rome in 2004. It works great. Poe Boy is correct aluminum does not rust; it corrodes so he has E. McNair on a technicality. E. Mcnair is correct that the bottom of the coffee make will corrode and leave a white oxide inside. The solution is in proper care (I learned the hard way). Wash the coffee maker by hand, towel dry. Store unassembled. Water gets trapped in the filter and will drip into the base over time and start the corrosion. I have started doing this and the white oxide has not reappeared. So, take proper care of it.Bon Appetite