5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Be Fooled By The Cheapness
Published on January 9, 2011 by Sahil Kambhampaty

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Marked Deck Ever.
Published on June 3, 2011 by Justin MaHaffey

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Be Fooled By The Cheapness, January 9, 2011
This review is from: Bicycle David Blaine Mind Reading Playing Card Deck (Sports)
As anyone who is interested in magic knows, marked cards usually start at like $15 MINIMUM so your first instinct might be "Whoa, $7? Probably some crap." This is definitely not crap. First of all, the markings are very well hidden. Unfortunately, I already knew where and what the markings were before I actually got the deck so I never got to look at the deck with an unbiased eye to see how easy they are to spot, but so far nobody has noticed even though a lot of my tricks involve the spectator staring directly at the back of a card. Also, the markings are very easy to read and you can do it quickly. I'm an amateur when it comes to reading marked decks but I can easily read them when dealing a deck at a moderately fast pace. Next is the quality. These cards being made by Bicycle, they are of very high quality. They are just as good as the rider backs with their air-cushion finish and premium USPC card stock. Lastly, the design is really cool, definitely more fun to look at than the standard rider back design. Overall this is a high quality marked deck that surely serve you well in your magic endeavors and don't believe that because the deck is marketed towards a younger audience that it's not as legit as a more expensive one, this is simple not true.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic deck at a good price, July 2, 2011
The Mind Reading Deck is a great little package for hobbyist magicians and comes cheap enough to buy a backup or two. The markings are easy to read - but if you have sharp eyed spectators they might see them too. Don't let them handle the cards for too long and definitely don't try to play a game with them. For a future revision Bicycle might be wise to make a coded system versus writing the card on the back. It's not going to ruin a trick - mainly because your patter/show should be sufficiently distracting in order to keep the spectators attention on you and your hands versus their card. For me, I have two marked decks: the Mind Reading deck and a standard Bicycle deck I marked with a Sharpie. I recommend this same system for anyone who'd like to perform tricks and hold a (deceitful) edge in any (not-for-money) card game.

The split spades design is fancy and Bicycle had the forethought to include a standard split spades deck box for the deck instead of a box that screams I'M A TRICK DECK. The quality of the cards is great - not as good as the standard Bicycle cards, as the cut on the edge of the cards is slightly rougher, but otherwise completely comparable. The included pamphlet has some good tricks in it. The deck includes three gaff cards - a double-backed card, a revealing Ace of Spades, and a revealing Queen of Spades. The reveal Ace has a different design than the standard Ace, and I'm disappointed that Bicycle didn't simply remove the reveal text from the reveal Ace and use that as the standard, as I far prefer the more subdued design of the gaff Ace. The two reveal cards are simple to use - perform the force included in the booklet, give the card to the spectator, and prepare for shocked faces and laughs. The effect that Bicycle has put together with this deck is truly great and any amateur magician out there who doesn't pick up one of these is missing out.

I really have only very minor nitpicks with this deck, and for the low price I got it for I'm more than willing to put up with the minor flaws. Tell your friends about this deck! Or don't tell them and blow their minds with it instead! Yeah - do that!

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Marked Deck Ever., June 3, 2011
First off, I would like to point out the good. The split spade design is great, and of course they have that great Bicycle feel we all love. That ends the good. The bad is simply this. The marking are extremely noticeable. If you are looking at the back of a 3 of spades, just look in the top left corner for the 3 next to a spade. It's not that small nor worked into the design to even attempt to be hidden from the common eye. Most marked decks go for more of a coded design to fool spectators, but with these, they simply decided to just slap the number 3 along with a spade next to it in plain sight. Helen Keller could me a magician with this deck. I will say that this is probably a good starter deck for aspiring young magicians around the age of 10 or below. For something to be officially from Bicycle and David Blaine, I expected much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, excellent product, May 14, 2013
Hi. very good, excellent product, I recommend it to other people who are interested in this item, excellent price quality

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, April 3, 2013
Marks are easy to see. What I don't understand is how to use the double sided backcover card. For the rest, instructions are very well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor packaging, March 13, 2013
The packaging was not very well done. The box was crushed when the item was received. The cards remain intact.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, February 22, 2013
This is a great deck. The markings are barely noticeable. And for the price, I could buy one every day if I needed to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I thought, July 26, 2012
Before I bought this, I mostly focused on what the critical reviews had to say for this item. I didn't want to end up buying something that I couldn't use. Eventually though I bought it anyways. Once I started using this deck to perform magic tricks, it was MUCH better than I thought. No one noticed the markings on the deck. In one case even, someone who became suspicious started comparing the backs of the cards to find some sort of markings. He never found anything.

Edit:
About the quality, I have seen better quality cards before although these are still pretty good. These cards aren't 100% plastic so they don't bend very easily which allows them to deteriorate in form over some time. For example, I gave a spectator a card and he held it against his leg. When I got the card back after the trick, it was bent.

2.0 out of 5 stars High Quality Cards but Marks are WAY too noticeable., July 13, 2012
Purchased a set of these for 5 bucks at a novelty store.
Cards are of excellent quality, and a great practice deck for someone learning card systems without flipping over.

BUT, out of 5 different decks marked decks I own, I wouldn't use these in a live situation unless it was in front of 5 year old's and than it would be cautiously. I took the cards out of the pack and saw the markings instantly.

Now I was looking for them, granted, but most marked cards I have to at LEAST read the instructions. They are very apparent

Way to easy to pick up the markings. It's a shame, because they really are high quality.

That said the other Blaine Bicycle cards are ABSOLUTELY fantastic (Transformation-Svengali) & (Discover - Stripper)

If you are looking for a good set of marked cards at a reasonable price pick up the Bicycle "Predictable". best bang for your buck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice cards Great service, March 27, 2012
The cards were just what I was looking for. They were also a good deal.
They arrived promptly. Very good service.

Rate and Discover Movies