Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 26, 2008
I like Big Agnes products, this air pad packs down extremely small and weighs very little. If you're a gram counter like me, get this pad and don't look back. The only thing I don't really like is the amount of time it takes to blow up and the air valve is somewhat awkward to use especially when you need to tighten it down when your done. I hold the valve in my mouth so that no air escapes and then turn it closed with my fingers. Yes kind of gross but I don't know of any other way to do it. Maybe someday they'll have a one way valve. If you plan on using this with your Big Agnes bag with sleeve make sure you go to REI and test it with your sleeping position. I sleep on my side and find that the bag gets a little tight around the hips, if you sleep on your back, no problems you'll love it. I no longer use my Thermarest because the air core pad has made it obsolete. I subtracted 1 star for the funky valve. Hope this review helps.
on May 18, 2009
I've been backpacking over 15 years, and I love these. I've had one now for 3 years & it's probably been on 6 backpack trips. This one I bought for my 67 year old dad who backpacks with me now and then. I'm 40 years old, so comfortable sleep is important. Get the INSULATED version, worth the money. Lightweight, blows up in 2 mins, durable, packs back up easily, sleep like a real bed.
on August 21, 2010
I bought the Large pad along with the Big Agnes Hog Park sleeping bag, as I'm well over 200 lbs. The Hog Park is rated for 20 degrees. I also have the 40 degree Buffalo Park bag for warmer weather. The pack size of between the two is significant. However, the Hog Park compacts to 10 x 19 and the sleeping bag just barely stuffs in the stuff sack...great job at making the sack as small is needed Big Agnes.

The 40 degree Buffalo Park compacts much smaller that the Hog Park sleeping bag...but, it is only a 40 degree bag. So, buy accordingly.

The pad fits absolutely perfect into the sleeping bag slot..perfect. There's even a cutout in the back for the air valve...great system.

Now, to the pad. True, you have to blow it up. No biggie and I am willing to do that to get a couple more inches off the ground, as apposed to the Therma-Rest units, which are 1.5" thick at the most. I'm a side sleeper and 1.5" ain't going to cut it.

I've already tested the Big Agnes pad and I find it's most comfortable to NOT fully inflate it. The best I find is about 80% and this makes for a softer feel. I also believe this will preserve the mattress's longevity, as it's not being strained by being fully inflated with a person on top. Just my opinion.

I'm a big guy and the Big Agnes pad and sleeping bag system is the way to go. I am VERY happy with the room to move around and the comfort of the pad being sufficiently high enough off of the ground to isolate me from ground bumps and whatnot.

The pad also packs very small and it's very light, comparable to the competition...

It's a winner
on June 29, 2010
When you read about the thickness of this pad you don't think that it will be all that great. But, I sleep on my side and it still provided enough comfort for my shoulders while on my side. It's not a bed by any stretch but for camping... it does quite well. And then rolls up nice and small.
on June 14, 2010
Lighter, more compact, insulated, cheaper, and more padding. If you're between this one and thermarest, I'd definitely buy big agnes.
on May 7, 2012
After using a 1.5 inch Thermorest for several years, I wanted something smaller and lighter for hiking. I liked the Big Agnes bag I saw and was convinced to get the air pad to complete the system. It is night and day compared to the Thermorest. I sleep in all different positions, and on my side, I could be sleeping on a pit of pine cones and would never know it. And I love how small it packs. It is slightly smaller around than my Thermorest, but about a third of the length and much lighter. This is an extremely comfortable way to sleep in the back country. Short of a queen size air matress, this is the best sleep you'll get camping or hiking. Buy it and don't give it a second thought!
on March 4, 2012
I just got the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core sleeping pad after 14 years with a Therm-A-Rest Prolite. The Big Agnes is much more comfortable and warmer. I slept on it when backpacking and it got down to below freezing at night and it insulated better than my old pad. It also fits nicely in the chair sleeve that I had for my Therm-A-Rest. I just inflated it just past half-way, folded it up and it fit right in the chair sleeve. I usually woke up with aches and pains when sleeping on my Therm-A-Rest because I sleep on my side but not so with the Big Agnes. My only complaint was that it is very noisy when you turn over on it. That could be annoying to tent mates. Inflation was no problem. About 30 breaths in two minutes does the trick.
on February 9, 2013
Like many campers, I have more gear than I need, but I was looking for something lighter to replace my heavy self-inflating foam pad, and something thicker than my half-inch closed cell foam. The Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Sleeping Pad combines many desirable features: lightweight and compact when rolled up, thick and comfortable when inflated, insulated for cool season use, and affordable when compared to some alternatives. Initially, I was a bit unsure about how best to inflate the pad without hyperventilating, but worked out a quick and simple solution. I rigged a lightweight sack-pump by using short section of tubing that I cable-tied through a hole in the corner of a large plastic trash bag. Slip the tubing on the valve, fill the bag with air, twist it shut, squeeze and repeat. Two bags of air topped off with a couple of quick breaths to add pressure effortlessly filled the bag in less than five minutes. Any hardware store should sell flexible plastic tubing of the right diameter by the foot, but I actually found a perfect fit to the valve by cutting off the neck of a disposable plastic bottle (Sears Optical 6 oz lens cleaner refill). Deflating and rolling up the bag also took less than five minutes, though the bag will partially deflate itself if you leave the valve open. I also found several commercial models of lightweight pumps available, including the $20 Big Agnes The Pumphouse - Multi-use Dry Sack and Pad Pump, $3 THE INSTAFLATOR ONE-BREATH PUMP FOR POOL TOYS FLOATS, and the $35 AA battery powered Camp-Tek Microburst Inflator. However, the plastic bag works just fine for me, so I haven't tested the other pumps.
on April 21, 2013
I am a big guy (5'11", 270LBS) and didn't like the super thin and narrow pads that are usually available for camping without going to the full air mattresses or cots. I gave the Big Agnes Air Core sleeping pad a try, and I'm glad I did. It is still a little narrow, and inflated it is thin enough that when I first looked at it I was pretty skeptical. After the first night of sleeping on it my skepticism was long gone. This pad may actually be more comfortable than the big, bulky mattress sized air mattress it partially replaced. It is a night and day difference compared to the thin and narrow sleeping pad I had for colder nights when I didn't want the air mattress' heat sink effect. I get a good nights sleep on this pad.

I see it is rated to 15 degrees. While I haven't tested it on nights that cold, I can attest that the insulation has kept me comfortable camping in temperatures in the 40s. I love this sleeping pad, and if I needed another I would not hesitate to buy a duplicate of this particular pad.
on May 28, 2013
If I were to rate this pad on how I like it, I would be giving it two stars. However, to be honest, I'll not do that. First, the air core type mattress is ideal for cold weather camping/backpacking but winter outings is something I would probably never do because I don't like cold weather. Didn't really know these types are best for cold until after I bought the product. It takes several deep breaths to inflate this pad so expect a good head rush unless you take your time. Fairly easy to expel all the air for packing up.

As far as comfort. It's fine as long as you don't move around much. I tend to side sleep and alternate to my back during the night. The pad has a wobble effect so I woke up every time I moved. Try sleeping on a pool mattress before you buy this and you'll have an idea if you will like it or not.

It is durable material and packs tight for its size. The comfort level is just not there for me on this one.