Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on May 30, 2009
This is a extremely comfortable mat, i just used it on a hiking trip and a buddy of mine had a self-inflating mat. There was almost no comparison, the Big Agnes was much more comfortable, packed half the size of his (half the size of a 2L soda bottle) and seemed to be made of a much more durable rubber. The only down side to this mat is blowing it up, but i was aware of that and honestly its not to bad. It takes you less then 5 minutes and for most people when your out in the middle of the woods you usual have plenty of time to kill. It's definitely a great buy, i would buy it again if I had to. Be aware that inflated it looks like a swimming pool raft but looks can be deceiving.
11 comment52 of 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2011
I wanted to write a review as I have had this now for over a year now. I have used it about 20 times. Overall, I do like the pad- it sure beats a firm cheap pad. A few things about it. It does take a while to blow up (about 3 minutes or so), but its not a big deal. It is comfortable to lay on. It is a little noisy- the plastic definitely makes some noise- others sleeping near you may get mad at you. It is a little slippery- to combat this bring shelf liner- soft rubber stuff that you would rest dishes on in the cabinet (can get it at dollar stores) and cut a few strips for areas that your body will make contact (head, shoulder, butt) and you will not slip at all- I've done this for the past 10 times I have used it and have not slipped at all (before I did that, I slipped off every time). It packs up really light (I have the 78 in. long one and it is still very light- about a pound or so). Packs small. Prolly my biggest gripe is packing it up after use- getting all of the air out- takes prolly 5 to 10 minutes to wrap it up.

Overall, I recommend it!
11 comment31 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2013
I've owned a lot of air mattresses in my 63 years of camping and backpacking and this is the worst of all because it is so slick. It holds air well and is comfortable but is so slick that I spent most of the night sliding around. The original ThermaRest mattresses had the same problem but they wisely changed to a non-slick material. Big Agnes needs to either change to a non-slick material or put on some kind of a non-skid coating. I could never recommend this air mattress to anyone.
11 comment18 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2011
I've used this pad several times for backpacking and tailgate camping, and I have to say they are just great! I've camped and backpacked all my life and I've never been as comfortable as I have been on this pad. I have of course used "another famous national brand" (you know who I'm talking about), and they don't even compare.

This pad is very light and very compact (the Nalgene comparison is spot on), making it ideal for backpacking. Yeah, it takes a little breath to get it blown up, but c'mon, if you just hiked up a mountain, I think you can handle it, it's not that hard. Besides that, you don't want to fill it up full because then it becomes "bouncy". In fact, I've bounced right off mine before!

As for durability, there's no question this thing will last if you take a little care of it. I'm north of 250 lbs and I'm not at all afraid of popping it. Just make sure there's nothing sharp in or under your tent and you should be fine. If you do end up getting a puncture, it comes with a small patch kit.

Bottom line: for the price, size and weight, this is a great value for the level of comfort it brings. The ONLY disadvantage is that it is made of smooth nylon, and so is my sleeping bag, so there's a little bit of trouble with sliding off it, but IMHO that's a minor disadvantage.
on July 1, 2013
Purchased this air mattress over 2 years ago. It has traveled to China, Tibet, Europe and the Philippines on backpacking trips as well as all over Southwest Colorado where we live. It is worth every penny. It does well in cold snowy climates as well as hot and humid.

Does not take up that much space in the pack and you sleep so good! I have not had any problems with it getting holes or anything.

I recommend this to everyone! As a 5'9" female, it is the perfect length.
on June 24, 2010
the most comfortable pad i've slept on, unless you slip off it. It is very slippery combined with a slick tent and sleeping bag it's hard to stay on it sometimes, especially if you are on any incline.
on January 23, 2010
I love this air mattress. It's so much smaller than a rolled up foam mat or self inflating pad, and so much more comfortable. I didn't have a problem with my sleeping bag sliding off it, but I could see how some sleeping bags might. It is a little colder than I thought it would be. I think the air inside the mattress moves and takes away some of the heat you might save with a regular pad, but probably a nice reflector blanket or something like that may make up for that. It's probably very nice in the summer in that respect.

One nit picky detail; the valve is nice and quality, but I would like it if it opened farther. It takes longer than it should have to to get all the air out. It doesn't take too long to blow up by mouth.
22 comments7 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 14, 2010
I just recently got back from Horn Hunting in North East Wyoming. This product is perfect for backpacking. Lightweight and folds up small. If you've ever camped in cold weather you know how important it is to sleep off of the cold ground. This along with a good mummy bag will keep you warm.
11 comment10 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2011
The mattress has plenty of depth to protect against small rocks and sticks on the ground and provide insulation from the cold. Very little movement when rolling over. Note: On snow this pad offers no protection from the cold. You'll need to add a closed cell foam pad to your pack along with this for comfort.

Update: For two years I loved this pad, then it began to deflate during the night. I know it is not unique to mine because other friends have had the same problem. I have inflated the pad several times and used a bathtub full of water to try and find the leak but to no avail. As the leak got worse I was blowing up the pad 5 or more times during the night but still I could not find the leak. I finally just quit using it. My conclusion is that it must leak through multiple tiny pores in the skin (??). A friend has sent his back a few times and apparently the company has a compression machine that allows them to find leaks and once they verify the leakage they send him a replacement. The problem is I would like to have a pad that I can repair in the field when it leaks, especially if I am going to be out for a couple of weeks or more.

If you don't mind doing a return every year or two or just buying a new one that often and don't care about field repair, I would say buy it, otherwise, look elsewhere.
on April 9, 2012
This pad is great for side sleepers (like myself). It distributes weight evenly so that digging your hip into the mattress will not cause you to touch the ground. Inflation is easy but time consuming compared to a foam pad. 4 minutes of blowing into the pad will inflate it to a comfortable level. I slet on this pad for a 4 days straight without any issues. I use this pad/mattress for camping and it's the best I have ever owned.