5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful first animal photography book!!!
My son received this book for his first birthday and it has quickly become a favorite. He still chooses this book regularly at storytime and he is now 18 months old. Reasons to buy this book include...

Published on February 3, 2005 by A. Moore

1.0 out of 5 stars This book includes polyurethane foam and flame retardants
Published 12 months ago by Responsible Mom

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful first animal photography book!!!, February 3, 2005

1. Great book for language development. The animals are sorted into groups including Baby Animals, Pets, On the Farm, Birds, and At the Zoo. A great book for playing "Where's the..." and "What's that?" pointing games.

2. Clear, beautiful photos. Each animal photograph is also placed against a solid colored background so that the image really stands out.

3. Unlike other animal photography books, the pages are not an animal collage with all the animals mixed in together. Each animal is shown in a square or rectangle with the name of the animals printed in lowercase underneath. Babies and Young toddlers are often confused by jumbled images and prefer the simplicity of how the animals are presented in this book.

4. The book also has a rhyming, interactive text. For example on the zoo page it says, "I'm hard to see when I'm out in the snow. Who am I? (polar bear) I carry a trunk wherever I go. Who am I? (elephant). My toddler, like most, is highly attracted to rhyming text.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Animal books, December 31, 2003
jiandmoy (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
I got this for my one year old twins, and they simply love it! They enjoy looking at the bright and colorful photographs of all the animals and this book enables me to make it a fun way of teaching them what different animals look like and the sounds they make. One of my twins always wails when I am finished and I close the book -- she simply wants to look at the book some more! I highly recommend this book for parents with young children.

5.0 out of 5 stars An early favorite and a fantastic teaching resource, January 8, 2008
From the time my son first learned to talk, he has shown a fierce curiosity about what things are called as well as a total fascination with animals. I picked up Priddy's My Big Animal Book to help him identify various animals as well as to build his growing vocabulary, and it was a tremendous success on both levels.

The book features large, sturdy pages that catalog a variety of animals you'd find on a farm, in a zoo, or in people's houses. There is also a section on baby animals. The photos are large and colorful, and never fail to capture my son's attention. Between this book and My Big Truck Book (Priddy Bicknell Big Ideas for Little People), my son's vocabulary and understanding of the world around him increased by leaps and bounds. His first trip to the petting zoo and Zoo Atlanta were even more fascinating to him after seeing the pictures in this book. The day he saw real gorillas for the first time, he turned to me with a stunned look and shouted "Gayayas, Dada!" Thinking about that never fails to put a smile on my face! The book also allowed us to use his curiosity about animals to teach him about sizes, animal sounds, counting, and colors.

My son is two years old now and far more interested in storybooks, and the knowledge he gained from My Big Animal Book was a great help in transitioning him to books like Hug and Where's Spot?. He still takes this book off the shelf time after time just to look at the great photographs of his favorite animals.

I highly recommend this durable, colorful, and inexpensive book to all parents of curious toddlers. As teaching aids go, My Big Animal Book has proven far more effective than many a high-priced electronic gadget or DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book for Nursing Home residents, July 27, 2005
My mother has Alzheimer's Disease, and cannot read regular books anymore. She does enjoy pictures of animals though and this book was just perfect for her. The pages are a little hard to turn and are very thick, but should improve with use. The pictures in this book are nice and large. She really loves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Picture Book, July 25, 2006
I bought this for my son when he was about one year old. He loves this book. He picks this among other books because it is big. Loves the pictures (very bright and clear pictures. The right number of pictures on each page) He points to each picture and asks us to name it. Or we play the "Where is..." game. He wants to read this everyday. A great way to increase his vocabulary. He can correctly point at a lot of animals now. There are not many BIG board books with real pictures out there. Atleast I havent found many.

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprize hit!, April 21, 2008
I really only got this book as an 'extra' purchase, to qualify for free shipping. However it has become an unexpected hit with my 16 month old who can now identify most of the animals from the pictures, and she will ask for this book over and over and over again.
The book includes some rather obscure animals, which probably wouldn't be on my 'introductory list' of animals for a young child. My list would probably run "lion, tiger, bear, cat, dog" (which are also included)... rather than the "gosling, chinchilla, parakeet, egret and kookaburra" which you'll also find in this book. My husband and I have both learned a few new animals as well!
All in all and great buy that keeps my daughter entertained for hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for animal lovers, September 11, 2003
By A Customer
My son (13 months) loves this book. He pulls it out several times a day and flips through it over and over. The pictures are fantastic and include a variety of animals which many other board book fail to include.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!!!, August 6, 2009
I bought this book for my 22-month old son and he absolutely loves it. Great pictures of the animals and it offers not only the option of learning animals but counting them as well!!! I would defintely recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Picture Book, August 18, 2008
This is one of our favorite books. Our 15 month old daughter loves to look at all the animals on each page. We also have the trucks, trains, and rescue books. All of the Priddy books are very well put together and entertaining.

In this one, there's a page for baby animals (always popular), one for farm animals (great for talking about going to Grandpa's house), one for zoo animals, and many others. The wonderful thing about these books is that there are bright colors and clear photographs of the objects/animals with labels for parents in case we don't know that a baby goose is a gosling.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book includes polyurethane foam and flame retardants, August 15, 2013
This review is from: My Big Animal Book (My Big Board Books) (Board book)
Neither on the Amazon website, nor anywhere on the book, is it revealed that this book has polyrethane foam and toxic flame retardants. In small print on the back, it says that it "conforms to ASTM 96308". Curious, I did research to determine what it means to conform to ASTM 96308, which is when I discovered that this code indicates that it meets flammability requirements by adding toxic flame retardants to the highly flammable (and toxic) polyurethane foam. There is no specification that the book contains foam. I suspect that foam is included in the front and back covers of this book, instead of plain cardboard? I find it outrageous that my 1-year old has been exposed to chemical flame retardants in this book. Including foam and flame retardants in child books is entirely unnecessary.

The coded and secretive language ("ASTM 96308") is extremely unfortunate, and Amazon should make buyers aware on the website when child books include chemicals, and not just basic paper products. I cannot and will not expose my 1-year old to toxic flame retardants and polyurethane foam in books. I hope that this review and warning is helpful to other parents.The majority of children's books are made of paper products, whereas this book's publisher apparently decides to use chemicals and foam to create its books.

My Big Animal Book (My Big Board Books)
My Big Animal Book (My Big Board Books) by Roger Priddy (Board book - May 10, 2011)
$7.99 $4.54