4.0 out of 5 stars Video Review

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely Disappointing
Published on April 15, 2009 by Trixieplum

4.0 out of 5 stars Video Review, March 18, 2011
Length:: 4:28 Mins

I liked this book better than The Big-Ass Book of Home Decor. The Big-Ass Book of Home Decor: More Than 100 Inventive Projects for Cool Homes Like Yours In my opinion, this book had a few more crafts that I would consider attempting. There is still a lot of funkiness but that's why the Author is so popular. I feel like you "either love him or hate him" ;)

Take a moment to look at the video. If you are a fan of Mark's work, then you will not be disappointed!

XOXO

*This book was given to me by the author in return for my honest review*

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm too --something--for this book!, March 22, 2010
This review is from: The Big-Ass Book of Crafts (Paperback)
I was leaning toward "too old" (refer to my title) to actually buy "The Big-Ass Book of Crafts." The language, you know, in the title. Indeed, it's a Big book, that's for sure, but full of the kinds of things I might have made in college when money was scarce. Still, one needs money to buy popsicle sticks to make lamp shades. But I get ahead of myself.

Back to the shopping mall found in the halls of Amazon. I was looking for more crafts to sew, saw this book and kept going, then came back. Reviews were pretty positive. OK, says I, let's try it, despite the big back area.

Wow, this IS a Big book--373 pages, including index, a list of things the author uses in making his crafts, and a list of resources. The dedication is to "all the people who think they aren't talented or crafty...." Between that dedication and the last of the indexed projects are over 150 different things to make. Author Mark Montano even advises the reader to brace him/herself against being called "artsy-fartsy" by friends and family.

I have examined every single project and found just maybe a dozen I will actually pursue. There is a term that comes to mind concerning the crafts found here: shabby chic. A few examples: that popsicle lampshade, bronze baby sculpture (made out of a doll), painted wood rug, pen flower arrangement, drinking straw starburst hanging lamp, a copper-scouring-pad wine sock, twig chandelier (don't ask), and a felt-leaf window treatment. Just because I don't find these projects desirable doesn't mean the next person won't.

On the other hand, here are some really clever projects:
1. Art switch plates (that cover electrical outlets)
2. 3-D photo looks really fun to do
3. David Hockney photo collage
4. Colorful lace glass plates
5. Laminated luggage tags (an excellent idea)
6. Stitched cards and envelopes (you take old books, cut out pictures, then stitch them onto colorful cardstock. The resulting product can be used as flashcards, or used to revive the ancient art of note writing.
7. Glazed note cards (precious)
8. Couture envelopes made out of magazine pages, shopping bags, printed papers from craft stores

Two pages are dedicated to each project with a detailed list of things to obtain and steps to follow. Photographs show every finished project! This surely is a thorough book!

In fact, as I was leafing through the book to write this review, I discovered more desirable projects to pursue than I initially thought. The paper crafts with envelopes and note cards are really attractive and appear fun to do. So, I'm adding another star to my review.

Meanwhile, my Amazon friends are reading Spinoza and I'm viewing photographs by Auxy Espinoza. I wonder if Espinoza ponders "the God-shaped universe?"

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely Disappointing, April 15, 2009
This review is from: The Big-Ass Book of Crafts (Paperback)
I was excited to receive this book as I've seen so many wonderful reviews, but just a few pages in my excitement quickly soured. They may as well have called this the Big-Ass Book of Crap. Although there were a handful of projects I could conceivably see constructing and placing in my home (possibly warranting a 1.5 star rating), the vast majority of projects in this book are more suited to dorm-room living (and I'm not even 100% sure I'd use them there)! Admittedly, if you need ideas for fun things to do with kids, this book has some merit.....Additionally, a few of the projects could inspire the very crafty to create better results than the ones Montano presents in the book. However, if you're looking for a book that will show you great projects for the home from start to finish, this is not the one for you......unless, of course, you enjoy decorating with plastic baby doll heads coated in plaster and gold paint, drinking straw chandeliers, and crosses made of alphabet building blocks.

By the way, by far the weirdest and tackiest thing in the book is something called a "Two-Liter Sea-Creature Lamp" -- I'm still not entirely sure what on earth this is supposed to be or how "it's like having a lamp and a pet in one." I like to think I'm at least somewhat imaginative and creative, but this really just looks like exactly what it is: A couple of cut up plastic soda bottles hanging from a light cord. Why anyone, even a child, would find this fascinating or want it in their living space is beyond me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hold on to your glue guns, get ready for a fun ride!, February 25, 2008
This review is from: The Big-Ass Book of Crafts (Paperback)
I've always been a fan of Mark's clever crafty designs, so imagine my delight to find out he has this new book that is jammed packed with all kinds of ideas!! Each project is colorful, and collectively they have a keen sense of multi-culti, lots of recycling, and best of all - EASY TO MAKE! What I love the most is that it is clear that he is very passionate about his love for making things. The book is crowded with juicy pictures, and the tone is fun and conversational. Major score, Mark!! Two glittered thumbs up!

3.0 out of 5 stars I wasn't blown away., May 12, 2008
This review is from: The Big-Ass Book of Crafts (Paperback)
So far, it seems that this book has received kudos. However, I'm not that impressed. I've seen every craft in this book in some shape or form before. I am not making anything out of popsicle sticks. My grandmother made picture frames out of magazine pages a long time ago. I already know how to put fabric on the back of a plate. If you haven't been crafting for long, it's a great book. For those of us who have been into this for a long while, I don't recommend it. I guess there really is nothing new under the sun. Remember that there is a difference between art and crafts. This is for those who like things made out of drinking straws and popsicle sticks adorning their home. I personally do not like those things, and would rather leave them to the girl scout troops of the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Low End Goods Get High Marks, March 4, 2010
This review is from: The Big-Ass Book of Crafts (Paperback)
Seriously got no money? Then this book is for you. It is crafty, okay - the top (usually just first) reviewer knocks it for being too low end but seriously when you have no bucks that is usually when people get crafty. There are so many many ideas. Some good stand-bys but more that are innovative because they have been brought current. I would definately recommend this book and love perusing this book. Love, love, love it. But, what do I love the most? I love the fact that almost every single page has a different craft with EASY DIRECTIONS with GREAT corresponding pics that depict the important points. Not overblown, let-me-make-u-think-I-am-really-talented-too-long-directions-that-are-wayward-to-follow - NO!! Easy, easy, but still NOT leaving out anything important. There is so much to chose from that there are plenty of items that are pop-arty, cool, and modern. Keeping it simple is always best and only the smartest people can do it that way. (my opinion ;) Also, it does have a guys' perspective - which is surprisingly refreshing! Love this Latino!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent altcrafting companion, January 15, 2010
This review is from: The Big-Ass Book of Crafts (Paperback)
I'm the kind of crafter who gets an idea for a project and makes it happen. I rarely consult crafting books or websites for ideas and have only ever bought one crafting book before. That changed when I saw this book.

Mark Montano covers everything from light fixtures to art to hang on the wall. A lot of his items are lighthearted and would be great for a kid's room, but other items, like his elegant notecards, would be ideal to send to a beloved grandmother. He includes cultural icons, such as loteria cards, and religious themes, such as crosses, in his eclectic collection of designs.

A lot of times, crafting books have projects that are too fussy, overdone or silly-looking. This book keeps those projects to a minimum.

I am very impressed with this book. At the moment, I'm making a 3-D flowerbox from the first chapter, and it looks great. This is definitely a book to add to your collection.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't get played, December 26, 2010
12Junes (Severna Park, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Big-Ass Book of Crafts (Paperback)
This book might be useful to a school teacher who needs craft ideas for her kids, but this is not a book for adult skilled crafters.

5.0 out of 5 stars The crafts of today..., April 4, 2009
This review is from: The Big-Ass Book of Crafts (Paperback)
Are the antiques of tomorrow! Before I went to graduate school, I helped manage a French antique store. We sold everything from the rustic to the refined, but the items the most people grooved on were the smaller quirky objects that were more often than not made by "amateur" crafts people: tramp art frames, naive paintings, coquillage pedestals, and even a whole dresser surfaced in "pique assiette". Handmade items by the non-professional have more charm and warmth. And if sales are any indication of desirability, then these are the types of objects that people seek out to have in their homes because we sold them for a pretty penny.

I think this book carries on the great tradition of amateur crafting. I found most of the entries charming in a quirkily stylish manner. There are a few projects in the book that were perfect for my home, and I must say turned out pretty good even in my bumbling hands. And I recently made something from the book as a gift for a friend and she loved it. She was touched that I made it with my own hands, and it's now in her dining room. And like she said - "better than some mass produced crap made in China." And who knows, maybe that gift I made for my friend will end up in an antique shop decades from now. I look forward to checking out this author's other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truely Inspired!, January 6, 2010
This review is from: The Big-Ass Book of Crafts (Paperback)
I, like many of you, fell in love with the quirky title of this book and the fancy collage cover, but most of all I knew it was a good buy before I opened the front cover. Why? Because it was written by Mark Montano. Asside from his appearances on TV I know he is a true talented artist. Crafting isn't just polka dots and fancy lettering on wood. Mark turns crafting on its head and makes ordinary household items into showpeices that will have your guests doing a double take. I know a few reviews have found the projects in this book not to their liking but as you know art is like food, not everyone is going to like it. The projects are a wide range of difficulty so just about anyone could try something with wowing success. I also would like to state that the projects are there to copy but more to inspire to take that project and make it your own! I have used many of these projects in my own home and most of them were altered to work in whatever room they went. So before you take the advice of the 1-2 star reviews, try it for yourself and I promise it won't disappoint!

The Big-Ass Book of Crafts
The Big-Ass Book of Crafts by Mark Montano (Paperback - February 19, 2008)
$21.00 $14.52