5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Sounds...
How can you go wrong with Sammy Nestico. On this cd, as well as others, he has put together some very good muscians and picked just as good of songs for them to play. He arranged all the music for this group.88 Basie Street is my favorite. You cant go wrong with this one!
Published on May 17, 2001 by Jimmy

3.0 out of 5 stars Just okay
I bought two big band compilations: this one and "Big Band Magic." The second was far better in selection and quality. And, it had 48 cuts in only two CDs as opposed to 50 on three CDs.
Published on May 24, 2010 by R. W. Kendall

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Sounds..., May 17, 2001
Jimmy "jimbo71" (YELM, WA. United States) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Joe D., February 1, 2010
Joe D. (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Big Band Favorites (Audio CD)
I just finished listening to the 3rd CD in this set. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is the set contained some tunes and artists of whom I was not familiar. Therefore, my complete enjoyment was slightly less than I anticipated. But I emphasize this it a personal note and may not be a factor for other buyers. That said the package provides over 2 1/2 hours of big band music from the glory days of the late thirties and early and mid forties. Any lover of big band music will thoroughly enjoy this set. The CD quality of the tunes is good to very good. The sound quality does vary from selection to selection, but this is to be expected given the age of the tunes. I was not disappointed that I bought this, and again, if you like big bands you will enjoy these CDs.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice songs, November 17, 2013
This review is from: 50 Big Band Favorites (MP3 Music)
Nice songs, I listen to this with my 91 year old father in the car. It sounds good but I think it's a bit flat, but I compare it to the sound of a good HiFi sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Bands, August 4, 2013
This review is from: 50 Big Band Favorites (MP3 Music)
I love this. It has a great arrangement of music. It was a great thing to play at a BBQ

4.0 out of 5 stars Great variety of big band and swing!, March 21, 2013
G. E. Glaum (Harrison, TN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Big Band Favorites (MP3 Music)
Great variety of Big Band and Swing Music. You can't go wrong with this collection! All of the songs that make up the foundation of this genre. And FIFTY of them on one album. Great deal!

5.0 out of 5 stars No question of worth!, March 18, 2013
This review is from: 50 Big Band Favorites (MP3 Music)
I enjoy the bands of this era for listening, for dancing, for remembering. I am pleased that the young musicians of today have the opportunity of playing these wonderful pieces and others to enrich their own lives.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoying very much, February 10, 2013
This review is from: 50 Big Band Favorites (MP3 Music)
Great selection with one caveat... personally, I would have enjoyed having a few more vocal numbers intermingled. However, the music selected for this collection is nonetheless very good and something that I am sure to listen to for many years to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Collection, December 10, 2012
This review is from: 50 Big Band Favorites (MP3 Music)
For us old timers, this is a nice collection of the music way back when music had a melody. I wish big bands would come back. Maybe the world would calm down a little.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought this for my father, October 27, 2012
This review is from: 50 Big Band Favorites (MP3 Music)
I bought this for my father and decided to add them to my iPod. Very nice CD with a lot on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars No "Moldie-Oldie"!, October 24, 2012
I used to teach jazz bands in High School. The difference in rhythm and timing compared to classical is not obvious unless you have played both. This kind of jazz has a lot of delayed attacks, way on the back side of the beat! And the drummer does such a good job of accenting all the syncopated attacks - so different from rock which is all straight eights and SOOOO boring! The other difference is the soloists playing on the flat side of the pitch. It gives a really relaxed feel. and their ability to stay in the chord and still improvise a nice tune! Ah well, it's a different world to play in one of these bands, believe me!

ARRAY(0xd9ddfd10)