Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on June 9, 2000
There must be 1,000 kiddie farm books lurking out there, and I bet most of them are bad. *Big Red Barn*, however, is neither "kiddie" nor bad. The book seems to speak to the child; the tone is quiet, and, for once, we get to see farm animals and the farm on a day and night when "the children are away." This is an animal's view of the big red barn and the meadow around it. A deserted child's toy bucket serves the mouse as a place to look around. The corn grows not for the farmer (unmentioned in the tale), but to protect the newborn field mice. The scarecrow is exceptionally cheerful. The animals and their offspring squeal and low and bray and play and eat in the meadow. When darkness come, they wend their way back to the barn and curl up cozily, as the bats, their time come round, fly out of the hayloft.
The book works soothing wonders in effacing the farmer and his children, and lets us see a world we normally only imagine. I wager many a parent has fallen alseep with a child while reading this charming book -- everything is so safe, and so calming, as the vibrant colors of the day illustrations give way to those of dusk and night.
Bedtime books don't get much better than this.
on October 30, 1999
This was my son's favorite book at around age 2. We used it as a night-night book saying good night to all the animals before going to bed. I have a tape of him at age 2 "reading" the book all by himself! The rhythmn and rhyme are beautifully written making it fun for the reader and listener , as well.
on March 11, 2000
This is one of Margaret Wise Browns best books, Children of any age will love it. The text flows beautifully without being too silly and the illustrations are great for children learning their animals. We've had this book since my son was ten months old and it is still one of his most favorite books, and even after reading this a million times it is still one of my most favorite childrens stories. How did I miss this one as a child?
VINE VOICEon May 29, 2002
I don't mind reading this book again and again and again because it's one of my favorites. Margaret Wise Brown is one of my favorite authors for children.
This is a great bedtime story in my opinion. However, my son also enjoys reading it and making animal sounds.
Enjoy.
on November 24, 2005
This is one of my daughter's favorites. The illustrations are well-done, and she loves looking for some of the smaller details (butterflies, mice, etc) on each page. It's a book I enjoy, as well, so it never gets old for either of us! And if we look hard enough, often we can find a small detail we've missed before---keeps it interesting! Most kids love books about animals, and this has a wide variety. Highly recommended!
on April 16, 2003
Goodnight Moon gets all the hype, but I like Big Red Barn even better. This is a simple story about all the animals who live on a farm and the things they do during the day. No humans are anywhere to be found in this tale. The illustrations are simple and sweet. My 8 month old daughter just loves this book! It's very soothing for bedtime, especially because at the end of the story, all the animals go to sleep in the barn. Wonderful!
on October 20, 2001
I'm constantly amazed at how difficult it is to find good books for my 2-year old. Well, this book is excellent. It has cute animals, excellent text with a really good meter, beautiful drawings, and an adorable rural setting. Your toddler can moo and meow along with the animals.
on June 4, 2012
I am writing this review based on two things. STORY and the BOOK THAT I ORDERED and received.

I did know the size of this book when ordering. It is a cute book and cute story and I give the story 4 stars.

The book I ordered and received, I give 2 stars. So my review is based both on the story and the book I received.

STORY - 4 stars
Small boardbook - 2 stars

My 21 month old did not care for this small boardbook. He looked at it, but because the book was so small and the writing even smaller, he didn't care for it.

I'm sure it would have been better in a larger form, but I wouldn't recommend this book in the small form.
on November 3, 2015
I don't mind reading this book again and again and again because it's one of my favorites.This is one of Margaret Wise Browns best books, Children of any age will love it. Margaret Wise Brown is one of my favorite authors for children.
This classic book defies time. The text is not dated and the artwork is still relatable.The story is gentle and soft and sweet. The illustrations are charming. The rythm that the words set is rolling and easy. This is an easy book to read over and over agin.
Enjoy.
on July 20, 2016
Fans of Goodnight Moon will love the Big Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown. I originally purchased this book many years ago when my daughter was a baby. It was a great bedtime book, because you can start it with a little energy. Children are engaged by the pictures, as well as the animal sounds. When the sun goes down you can begin lowering your voice and speaking slowly until the end when you quietly send the animals off to bed. It can be a little hard to find the cadence, but once you get your own rhythm down, you have a great little book to read. Did I say read? You'll have this baby memorized in no time. For years, I could recite it in the car with no book in front of me. You can hear how I read it in the video.

This particular purchase was for a baby shower. In our family, we give books instead of cards. Cards are a waste of paper and money and we have a great opportunity to build a baby's library. This is one that I ALWAYS buy for babies as it was one of our favorites.