Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Big, Beautiful, and Pregnant: Expert Advice and Comforting Wisdom for the Expecting Plus-Size Woman
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on June 17, 2006
This is a thorough, upbeat pregnancy book for plus-sized women. The medical advice is easy to understand and very informative.There are lots of practical tips for things you can do to make your pregnancy healthy and to feel good about yourself. The nutrition advice is excellent. Overall, a great read about everything you would ever want to know about plus-sized pregnancy!
on July 22, 2013
For starters much of this book discusses pregnancy diet and promoting a healthy lifestyle. While everything was written in a supportive way I was surprised that the book focused so much on basic dietary information, and even postpartum weight loss. It seems like if I had wanted a book on nutrition for pregnant women I would have bought that in the first place. The information was really so basic and repetitive it seemed like the author believed no fat person could know the first thing about eating right.

Other than that, the book did not contain much information not available in most pregnancy books, but it did discuss several issues that might affect overweight women, why those conditions might occur, and what can be done for them. The book did have a few helpful tips throughout that I had not considered like bringing my own clothes to labor in or checking that the hospital has large enough gowns available. Also, keeping a healing c section dry with a cool blow dryer seemed like it would be helpful with the overhang many larger women have.

I almost rated this book lower because the links in the resource section need to be updated. Many of the maternity clothes links were no good, and one was in Australia with no available international shipping. This was very disappointing as finding larger maternity clothes is difficult.
on May 6, 2015
I knew the book was an earlier publication date, but a lot of the information inside was much more outdated than I had anticipated. Overall it was ok, but there was honestly not much in here that I hadn't already figured out for myself from already having lived my life as a fat person, from fatshion blogs, or from pregnancy support groups. If you really like having books to reference and read, go for it, but if you are already up on your fatshion game and/or are internet and forum savvy, there are better resources out there.
on May 17, 2008
I purchased this book about a year ago and until today it just sat under my coffee table collecting dust; but let me tell you I am glad I finally picked it up and read it! It has tons of useful information for plus-size women who are pregnant or trying to become pregnant. It is filled with practical solutions for a healthy pregnancy. I purchased another plus-size pregnancy book as well and I found the information in it to be very general, much like any other pregnancy book. I could definitely tell that the authors have the experience they claim to (Dr. Cornelia with working with plus-size pregnant women and Ms. Tourville with being a plus-size mom). It was very easy to understand and fun to read. If you are torn between this book and another plus-size pregnancy book, this is the one to buy.

The only regret I have is not picking it up and reading it sooner!
on January 13, 2013
I bought a lot of books while I was pregnant and for a plus-sized woman, this one was absolutely the best. Honest, straightforward and comforting, it help wash away the paranoia that the media and others will try to place in your head. Makes you realize plus-sized women have perfectly healthy babies every day and you can too.
on March 26, 2014
I started reading the book when it first arrived, but it's a little difficult. Some of the issues addressed are "vague," and the author(s) have a really odd/annoying manner of referring to other plus size mothers/pregnant women as "sisters." Something that bothers me in many articles/books referring to plus-size women, is that there is no REAL definition of plus size. Some media considers plus to be anything size 16/18 and over and others refer to sizes 12 and over. To be honest, as a member of the former ideal, I would absolutely LOVE to be a size 12! This book is pretty much the same, since it never truly defines it's PLUS size audience.
Another issue I found with this book is that it doesn't really elaborate on other high risk issues associated with many plus size women...ie: those of us with Thyroid, Diabetes, or other issues. I would expect a plus size book to have more information and/or encouragement or referrals.
All in all, not a completely unhelpful book, but also not a completely helpful one either. A decent read but I wouldn't recommend it as the only book you read.
on August 23, 2013
As an overweight woman contemplating pregnancy, this book was one of the main sources of comfort and encouragement that allowed me to confidently follow my dream of becoming a mother. This book gives clear, encouraging information on how to have a healthy pregnancy while at a higher weight. It doesn't sugar-coat the experience, but it does make it clear that many, many women have had healthy pregnancies while at a higher weight than may be ideal. I've seen this to be true in my community, but the overwhelming amount of negativity about this subject is hard to resist. This book gave me to the strength to do just that. I'm currently halfway through my pregnancy and all is well with me and with our baby. I'm careful about my weight gain (they gave me guidelines, which all other pregnancy guides neglected, with the exception of _YOU Having a Baby_), follow the exercise suggestions they gave (using the handy chart they provide is really helpful!), and knew from the information they provided that my belly fat did not have to be any kind of barrier to examinations and gathering information about my child. So when, at 10 weeks, they couldn't find my baby's heartbeat with the doppler, I knew that they could just do an ultrasound. That's exactly what they did. We not only heard the healthy heartbeat, but I got to see my little one, too! I cannot recommend this book highly enough for women who want to get pregnant (or who already are), but aren't sure their weight is healthy enough to have a healthy pregnancy.
on June 13, 2007
My husband and I are ready to start a family and a friend had recommended this book so I picked it up. It had a lot of great information about diet, exercise and medical and societal complications plus-size women may have to deal with. I was able to pull a few questions out for my husband to ask his physician when he sees her next and some great tips about exercises that will help strengthen muscles.

I was a little disappointed that the book doesn't touch on Miscarriages at all (mentioned once-something along the line of as you move into the second trimester the risk for miscarriage reduces) as this is something that my sister has dealt with. There was also not as much in-depth baby development as I was hoping for so I need to find another source for that.

Overall, I felt I got my money's worth, but If you're healthy (besides the obvious weight) and have a good relationship with your OB/GYN, this book can leave you wanting a bit more.
on August 14, 2014
Like entirely too many books I've purchased related to being a lovely larger lady, this book was more pep talk than information. I already love myself, and I am already empowered to tell my doctor to shove off if they make me feel bad about being fat. This did not contain as much scientific/medical information as I had hoped, and had entirely too much "love yourself, and your magical body" content.
on March 2, 2013
Anyone who is plus sized knows we have different health concerns than the average size woman when it comes to pregnancy. Luckily I was not considered high risk and had no issues until the end, this book was highly informative and was used in supplement to the usual books.