5.0 out of 5 stars The Mind of Miles

Published on November 23, 2012 by Beth Wilkinson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Big Book of Black and White, November 23, 2012
This review is from: Big Book of Chic (Hardcover)
I was eagerly anticipating the Big Book of Chic after enjoying Miles Redd's work in magazines. I am quite confused about this book, as his forte, in my opinion, is color, and the book has over a third of it's photos in black and white. I just find it hard to be inspired by a black and white photo of a room, and you can see the contrast when he places the same photo side by side, one in color and one in black and white. No contest; for me the color wins. A better book would have been " A Little Smaller Book of Chic, But Full Color". I won't return this book, but I did think about it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Big Book of Chic Disappoints, December 12, 2012
This review is from: Big Book of Chic (Hardcover)
This book has been overhyped. Too many black and white pictures on poor paper bound in a cheap way so as to come apart readily. Very disappointing. Mostly pictures with very little description of rooms and the thought process of why things were selected. There are a number of good books out there that certainly outshine this one. Amazon was great about their return policy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mind of Miles, November 10, 2012
This review is from: Big Book of Chic (Hardcover)
Do not buy this book if you want a book of full-color photos of Miles Redd's rooms. This is not that kind of book. However, if you have been delighted by his design vision, you may enjoy seeing what inspires him. This is a collection of images and quotes--and yes, some photos of his rooms, but many in black and white--which nourish his creative sensibility. If you are a devotee of designer Miles Redd, you may enjoy this huge, heavy and wonderful book full of images which speak to him. It allows you to get into the mind of Miles, see the world through his eyes, and view it with his creative vision. It is an artful collection.

How to describe Miles Redd's rooms?

Exuberant, effervescent, colorful, inventive, irrepressibly spirited, buoyant, elegant, glamourous with a bit of quirk. You sense the designer has a boyish glee, isn't life grand? approach, and is having great fun throughout the creative process. What feeds that fertile creativity, inspires his 'point of view' as Billy Baldwin would call it?

This book answers that question. Princess Margaret, as it turns out.

"When I was a boy growing up in Atlanta, Georgia," Redd explains, "my mother had a copy of Cecil Beaton's book THE ROYAL PORTRAITS that I used to flip through for hours on end. The photographs are heady stuff: Princess Elizabeth in ermine coronation robes...Princess Margaret in an immense tulle ball gown splayed across a red damask banquette... my five-year-old eyes had seen what appeared to be the height of chic, and there was no turning back, at least not until I had my own tufted red madness."

Redd's own tufted red madness is included in this book as well as images (the pivotal Princess-Margaret-on-red-banquette-portrait) and words which inspire Redd's design.

"I like interiors that are animated and lively--and party-ready--because isn't that what life should be?" asks Redd.

Ah, what we suspected about his design philosophy. Life=party, life=design, therefore design=party. Design represents a party to him. Who can resist that? That joie-de-vivre emanates from his interiors.

"This is a book about dreams coming true; the curiosities in the rooms I have decorated; and the people, artists and places that have inspired me," says Redd. The book is about 3/4th photos of Redd's rooms, sometimes in close detail, unusual artistic angles or black and white photos. The remaining 1/4th is images and words of others. If you are looking for a rather complete collection of Miles Redd's greatest hits, you will have to wait for the next book. While this volume features a number of his rooms including a few new ones, this book's purpose is to offer a glimpse of what Redd finds chic and stylish to inspire us. It may propel you to start collecting images for your own big book of chic.

What Redd finds stylish are what he describes as his "top hat fantasies" peopled by Henry James, F.Scott Fitzgerald, Nancy Mitford, Flaubert, John Singer Sargent, Chanel, Flaubert, Diana Vreeland, Proust and Cecil Beaton among others. "We all owe a great debt to Cecil for keeping the idea of style alive," is a quote by David Bailey in this book. So style from the 1800's through the 1940's, alive and well and integrated, seems to mesh happily in his work. You sense a 'particular joy' when he works with architect-designer Gil Schafer and photographer Paul Costello in sweet alchemy.

This is a happy book. Redd's opening dedication "for my mother and father, who gave me this wonderful life" to the final quote from WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY, "but Charlie, don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he always wanted....He lived happily ever after," emphasize wide-eyed, gee-whiz wonder and delight in design.

If you want an infusion of Miles Redd "happily-ever-after chic" always at the ready, you may want to own this book. I'm glad I do.

1.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Disappointing!, February 10, 2013
This review is from: Big Book of Chic (Hardcover)
An Expensive behemoth of a book, large enough to give the unsuspecting victim a hernia. I could have tolerated its weight & unwieldy format, but I am sooo disappointed. I wanted to see more of Mr Redd's inspired interiors, not all these silly pretentious shots of him leaping off chairs in a top hat. Seriously, who cares? Mr. Redd should take a few pointers from Nate Berkus who writes well and shows the things that matter, at least, from a decorator's point of view.

2.0 out of 5 stars All fluff, no detail, January 2, 2013
This review is from: Big Book of Chic (Hardcover)
I got this book as a gift and was thrilled because I have always loved Miles Redd's style. He oozes the glamour of the 40's and you want to have a cocktail at his place. There are beautiful shots of his glamorous apartment as well as shots of his other projects that are also very good. The reason for the low rating is because of the lack of information. He has a great eye but I wanted to know more about the objects and the design process, for someone who seems to cherish another era we are left in the dark about why he loves it so much.

1.0 out of 5 stars not very interesting, February 17, 2013
Alexandre G Macedo (Rio de Janeiro, RJ Brazil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Big Book of Chic (Hardcover)
Even though I like his work, this book could be a lot better! Black and white photos don't say much about Redd's work.

4.0 out of 5 stars a different kind of interior design book, June 14, 2013
laura (Savannah, GA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Big Book of Chic (Hardcover)
Like the designer/author, this book is different -- in a very good way. It does not follow patterns of any other design book I've ever read or seen; however, it is one of the most inspiring and thought-provoking books I've read or perused.

2.0 out of 5 stars Big Book - Grainy Photos, December 10, 2012
Jam-i (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Big Book of Chic (Hardcover)
I like coffee table books and this one came highly touted by the press. It disappointed me from cover to cover. Photo quality is awful. I'd recommend a pass on this one - best looking thing is ... the cover. Not much in the way of new ideas ... or inspiration.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb book, February 13, 2013
This review is from: Big Book of Chic (Hardcover)
Exact dimensions of the bookare ssomething of a surprise but not a let down. Order this book and see for yourself what a really big book can so for your ego. Seriously, it's ok.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy into the hoopla, December 19, 2012
Ronald L. Martin "Dupped" (Buenos Aires, Argentina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Big Book of Chic (Hardcover)
Overpriced and underwhelming. If you are looking for a book that has hardly any text and what is there, is trivial, pretentious and useless, this book if for you. While the photos were well taken, that is all there is...the same photos, the same rooms and the effete author in a different pose.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Big Book of Chic
Big Book of Chic by Miles Redd (Hardcover - November 20, 2012)
$75.00 $50.56