The definitive travel reference for America’s
most famous, and infamous, Civil War battle sites—
a tribute to the war’s 150th anniversary (2011-2015)
With The Big Book of Civil War Sites, history-focused travelers finally have ready access to in-depth and thorough listings of all sites associated with the major battles of a devastating war that transformed the nation. Whether for exploring the Southern states or the Eastern theater, this book provides a full range of historical background information, travel and lodging options, museums, tours, and special events.
Top attractions in the North include the National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; Gettysburg National Military Park; and Harpers Ferry National Historical Park. In the Southern states—from the Outer Banks of North Carolina to the Mississippi Delta—readers will discover the fascinating and varied world of Civil War history and read detailed accounts of battles in North and South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, and Louisiana.
Being published in 2011, which will see numerous national, state, and local events marking the Civil War’s sesquicentennial, The Big Book of Civil War Sites includes:
* Thorough listings of all major sites, including historical background information
* Full-color photographs throughout
* Special features on military and civic leaders
* A glossary of Civil War terminology
* Directions to hard-to-find locations
* Helpful listings of restaurants, lodgings, shopping, tours, and special events