5.0 out of 5 stars A Lifesaver!
Published on August 24, 2001 by Stephanie Freel

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Ok
It IS very descriptive...but it's a little long. My 2-year-old has a difficult time paying attention to this book if I read what is written so I invariably end up making up the story to go along with the pictures. It doesn't get my son excited about using the potty like "A Potty for Me! A Lift-the-Flap Instruction Manual" which I highly recommend.
Published on January 16, 2007 by L. Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lifesaver!, August 24, 2001
Stephanie Freel (Melbourne, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Big Boy Potty (Hardcover)
This book is a must when potty training. My son is now officially trained, but during the course of it all, this book was worth it's weight in gold. My son really identified with the little boy Michael, and I think it really influenced him to be "A Big Boy". The book is very warm, fuzzy and is written in a kind and forgiving nature, (the mommy and daddy are very patient and kind with Michael) which is so important during this time in a child's life. The illustrations are bright and cheerful and the book is a perfect size for little hands...I love it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a Stubborn 3 year old, June 25, 2004
reestar "reestar" (Riverside, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Big Boy Potty (Hardcover)
My son is now 3 years and 7 months old and FINALLY potty trained. Alhtough other books were cute, this one was practical explaining accidents and the need for night time diapers after day time training. Very cute and one of my sons favorite books.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Thing About This Book? It WORKS!!!, September 15, 2008
This review is from: My Big Boy Potty (Hardcover)
I was one of those Moms who felt as though her child would never be potty trained! My 3-and-a-half year-old son just did not seem inclined to do it. We offered gifts and party incentives...nothing doing! He did like to pee in the "big potty" from time to time but that was about it. I even bought him a potty of his own. Every day I said, "Hey...let's try to poop on the potty today" and every day he replied, "Tomorrow, Mommy." I also bought the WordWorld Bucket Set - House made by Mega Blocks that I knew he would LOVE. I made sure he saw it and let him know he would only get it when he went on the potty. Even THAT did not entice him!

I don't agree with pushing kids into doing something they don't seem ready for...and I definitely did not want to embarrass him about it. But he was the last kid in his pre-school to still wear diapers and one boy teased him about it once. It KILLED me! Still, I felt he would do it when he was ready.

But then I bought this book... He LOVED the book. He loved the pictures and the story about Michael. I made it very interactive with him. He asked me to start reading it 2-3 times a night. The weekend after we received the book, we took him to buy big boy underpants...just like Michael did in the book. He wanted to wear them...like Michael...and that was it! I sent him to pre-school with his underpants on (which I knew was a big risk) and he did not have an accident all day! And he went on the potty!! When he came home that day and told me he "pooped" on the potty, I was skeptical. That is...until he went into the bathroom at home, shut the door, and then proudly came out, grabbed my hand...and brought me over to the toilet to see the poopies. I jumped up and down as if I had just won the billion dollar lottery (and we also threw him a "Big Boy" party with ice cream cake as further reward)!

My son really related to Michael in the book...and I truly believed that it was what inspired him to use the potty. How could I NOT give this wonderful book five stars!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, entertaining, and perfect, October 13, 2000
L. Williams (Capital District, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Big Boy Potty (Hardcover)
We bought this book for our son who is 2. We are starting the potty training experience but didn't want to push him into it. He loves this book and he (and I) can recite it page by page from memory. A great way to introduce the idea of the potty to your child. Clear simple language is wonderful. Pee pee and poop are words most parents are comfortable with, and there is no mention of anatomy for those who are not comfortable with terms for body parts. The illustrations are adorable. All around a great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Boy Potty Book on the Market, May 5, 2006
H. Lee "mom in training" (San Marcos, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Big Boy Potty (Hardcover)
This along with "You can go to the potty" are the best books out there on potty training.

My 2-year old son really related to the boy in the story.

I appreciated that the book addressed where peep/poop goes after flushing it down the toilet. Every time my son flushes he says, "It is going in the pipes under the house!"

Perfect about covering the basics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute and simple, October 2, 2005
Hooked (ventura county, ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Big Boy Potty (Hardcover)
This book is great for introducing younger children to the idea of potty training. It's simple, cute and perfectly sized to keep by the potty. My only complaint is that it is only directed at kids who are being potty trained on a potty chair and not for kids who are learning using a normal toilet.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the Best of the Bunch, June 10, 2009
This review is from: My Big Boy Potty (Hardcover)
We actually got a bunch of potty books from the library just to see which ones our son liked best. This was one of the best, along with "Diapers are Not Forever." The book asked questions along the way and to my surprise our son started answering them almost immediately. Most telling was a passage at the beginning which went something like, "Michael wears diapers. Do you wear diapers, too?" Our son at first was answering "yes" but as our training went on and was successful, he started answering ,"no, I wear underpants." This book, along with "Diapers are Not forever" was good because it seemed to show a lot of steps clearly and in easy to read language. While not much time is spent on anatomy per se, the practical use of "pee" and "poop" and the repetition of the steps to getting there (including the nighttime diaper use) was very helpful. The final page was a "primer" to the parent about potty training.

We also looked at the Capucilli book "The Potty Book for Boys" which came with a DVD (because we love the "Biscuit" books). Our son also liked that book, and liked the movie. I found the book to be too drawn out and the movie interminable, but clearly our son did not share my opinion. But he liked the movie more than the book, and "My Big Potty Book" was requested more often than thet Capucilli book. We also looked at "Once Upon a Potty" which had the best description of anatomy, but the most irritating language for pee and poop. And it also seemed the most dated - the potty chair in it looks like a chamber pot!

"Diapers are Not Forever" and "My Big Boy Potty" were the best combination. We didn't read a lot of parenting how-to books on potty training, just the chapter in "Toddler 411" and the amusing "Potty Training Sucks" along with the last page of "My Big Boy Potty." The best advice we got was to wait until we were sure he was ready, and didn't start just because he turned a certain age (or because a grandparent "thought" we should start). We were fully trained in 3/4 weeks, but even during that time had only a few accidents, so felt good about all of those sources.

5.0 out of 5 stars This potty book will make your child into a big boy!, October 29, 2002
This review is from: My Big Boy Potty (Hardcover)
This book is a great source for potty training toddlers. It will build their confidence, and will gently teach them how they are expected to act as big boys. It has easy to understand text, and visual illustrations that allow children to relate on a more personal level. With warmth and sensitivity, the authors guide young boys though the challenges and rewards of potty training--from the first steps to the joy of graduating to big boy underpants! I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for my 2 year old, October 17, 2001
J-Mommy "mommyj" (NC, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Big Boy Potty (Hardcover)
I decided to get my 2 year old a book about using the potty, to get him started. I got Once Upon a Potty, but it was a bit too graphic and detailed for him. He wasn't at all interested in it, and didn't seem to like it. Because he LOVES Joanna Cole's book I'm a Big Brother, I decided to try her Potty book. He LOVES it. Though he is not potty trained yet (we have not really started seriously working on that yet), he does recite the book to me now, and pretends that he is the boy in the book. i'm thrilled with how much he enjoys it and seems to relate to it. I highly recommend this book, particularly for preparing to potty-train.

4.0 out of 5 stars A potty training book that actually deals with reality., September 1, 2007
This review is from: My Big Boy Potty (Hardcover)
Unlike many potty training books, this one actually shows both a mother and a father working with a child through the entire experience of potty training: getting the potty chair, the mechanics of poo and pee, and transitioning from diapers to "big boy pants", all with the boy's parents there and helping with the mechanics as well as love and encouragement. If I had to do it over again, this would be a primary book in my potty training library.

My Big Boy Potty
My Big Boy Potty by Joanna Cole (Hardcover - December 28, 2004)
$6.99 $4.48