From the Inside Flap
The promises offered by Big Datadriven decision making have been recognized broadly. Once the domain of only the heaviest of hittersincluding Amazon, eBay, and DisneyBig Data analytics is now accessible to businesses of all sizes, across all industries. In Big Data Analytics, you'll learn how to extract intelligence and value out of your large data sets to grow your business, your bottom line, and your competitive edge.
Focusing on the business and financial value of Big Data analytics, technical guru Frank Ohlhorst shares his insights on this newly emerging field to demonstrate the importance of analytics and define the processes. In Big Data Analytics, Ohlhorst highlights the tangible and intangible values and discusses how to turn a business liabilitysuch as large scale data storage, backup, and archivinginto actionable material that can be used to redefine markets, improve profits, and identify new business opportunities.
Beginning with the evolution of the technology as well as some of the basic concepts behind deriving value, Big Data Analytics explores:
- The different types of data sources involved and why they are important to businesses seeking to find value in data sets
- Building a business case that spurs investment into technologies
- The skill sets needed to successfully leverage your data sets
- How to incorporate Big Data into a corporate culture
- Various public and private sources for data
- Storage, processing power, platforms, and the elements that make up a Big Data analytics system
- The tools and techniques that keep large data sources secure
- Potential pitfalls and how to avoid them
- How Big Data moves through the analysis process and is transformed into usable information that delivers value
To become bigger, you must think bigger. Discover the value in your data sets and maximize your bottom line with Big Data Analytics.
From the Back Cover
Think bigger and see bigger returns with Big Data Analytics
You're sitting on a gold mine. Buried deep within your backup, in your data archives, or in the data sets right under your nose, are the secrets to increasing your revenue, finding new business relationships, and making more intuitive decisions that will take your organization to the next level. In Big Data Analytics, you'll discover how to harness, analyze, and leverage your data to see big returns to your bottom line.
Author Frank Ohlhorst shares his decades of technical experience to show you how to implement Big Data analytics into any size business or industry. In Big Data Analytics, you'll discover how to mine the value of the data, expose trends that can be converted into competitive strategies, and explore data sources in more interesting and applicable ways to develop intelligence that solves problems and increases profits, productivity, and business opportunities.
Exploring the concepts behind Big Data, how to analyze that data, and the payout you can achieve from acting on your data, Big Data Analytics reveals:
- The 4Vs of Big Data and the intrinsic value of each
- Big Data and the business case: beyond Hadoop
- Building the Big Data dream team
- Choosing among in-house, outsourced, or hybrid approaches
- The evolution of Big Data: today, tomorrow, and the next day
- Best and worst practices
- Bringing it all together
Any organization looking to stay ahead of the pack needs to get its arms around Big Data today. Learn how to make your data a key component of your growth strategy with Big Data Analytics.
See all Editorial Reviews