5.0 out of 5 stars Another great "My Big..." book!
The "My Big Dinosaur Book" is a great addition to the Big Ideas for Little People series of books (we also have the Trains and Trucks books). Both of my sons love these books -- my 5 year old STUDIES every name, picture, and category and has been reading the Dinosaur book every day since he received it. My 3 year old loves to look at the pictures over and over...
Published on June 21, 2006 by another busy mom...

Excluding the covers, this sturdy 10.5"x10.5" board book has about 40 photos of realistic models of extinct reptiles set against bright solid color backgrounds. There is minimal text (dinosaur names, headings such as "Peaceful plant eaters" and "Weird and wonderful," and questions like "how many horns does Chasmosaurus have?"). It's attention-grabbing.

So far...
Published on August 28, 2010 by ReviewerWhoPrefersToBeAnonymous

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great "My Big..." book!, June 21, 2006

The photos have realistic and colorful models of each dinosaur, most of the full body (a few have just the face). I do agree that pronunciations would be really really nice to have. The heavier board-book style makes it very durable, especially for little ones who are prone to tearing out pages.

This is a must-have addition to the library of any young dinosaur fan!

3.0 out of 5 stars Will Pique Toddlers' Curiosity in Dinos Etc., But Could Have Been Better, August 28, 2010

So far so good, especially for toddlers who have an interest in dinosaurs and their ilk. Unfortunately:
- Despite the book's title, it has some non-dinosaurs. Quetzalcoatlus was a pterosaur (flying reptile) and Macroplata was a plesiosaur (marine reptile).
- Some of the photos are of the same model, yielding two Baryonyx, Chasmosaurus, Iguanodon, Leptoceratops, Nodosaurus, Ouranosaurus, Parasaurolophus, Riojasaurus, Ultrasaurus, Wannanosaurus, Zephyrosaurus, and others. Instead of duplicate genera, it would have been nicer to see more genera like Albertosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Apatosaurus (formerly known as Brontosaurus), Brachiosaurus, Dilophosaurus, Giganotosaurus, Oviraptor, and Spinosaurus.
- There is no pronunciation guide.
- Almost half the photos show only the dinosaur's head. We never get to see the entire Tyrannosaurus rex, for example.
- Three photos sadly leave out interesting items at the ends of dinosaurs' tails. The photo of Euoplocephalus omits the tail club. Stegosaurus and Kentrosaurus aren't the same when you can't see their tail spikes ("thagomizers"). Except for the "Funny faces" spread, it would have been better for the book to have full-body photos.
- The relative sizes of the animals are difficult to appreciate. Velociraptor looks as tall as Allosaurus, but the former was the size of a beaver and the latter the size of a rhinoceros.
- The name "Stenonychosaurus" is used twice; however, the name of this dinosaur since the late 1980s has been "Troodon."
- "Yingshanosaurus" has never been officially described in the scientific literature and the fossil's "whereabouts are unknown," but it was reported to have spines extending from its shoulders which are absent here.
- The full-body and head photos of Xenotarsosaurus show "devilish" horns just above the eyes. It's too bad that no one has ever located the head of this creature.
- If you look up the article "The dinosaur Hadrosaurus foulkii, from the Campanian of the East Coast of North America, with a reevaluation of the genus," you'll see how little of the skeleton was found. So the model of Hadrosaurus (used for two of the book's photos) may be quite inaccurate (especially the head).

If you can live with the aforementioned issues, buy this book from Amazon.com! Otherwise, I suggest The Usborne Big Book of Big Dinosaurs as a first nonfiction book of dinosaurs for young children.

4.0 out of 5 stars 43 Different Dinosaurs!, September 21, 2008
My son's first dinosaur book was Touch and Feel: Dinosaur (Touch and Feel); soon he wanted another one with more dinosaurs. My Big Dinosaur Book (My Big Board Books) included dinosaurs from both the Jurassic and Cretaceous periods.

Each page has a question, such as "Which dinosaur has striped legs?" or "Can you point to the creatures that fly?", which helps children learn the simlarities and differences of the dinosaurs. The "photographs" will take your breath away.

This book includes the traditional favorites - Tyrannosaurus Rex, Stegosaurus, and Triceratops, as well as some new favorites: Allosaurus, Macroplata, and Diplodocus.

This book does not include pronounciation guides, but the names are manageable.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son carries this book everywhere, August 4, 2006
My son absolutely loves this book, he takes it everyone. I am even learning alot about dinosaurs thanks to this book. It is alot of bang for you buck. Hardcover book very sturdy and easy to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, February 27, 2006
MeDaMom "Medamom" (Huntingtown, MD USA) - See all my reviews
Good book for toddlers, I just wish it had the pronounciations for some of the names!

3.0 out of 5 stars "Priddy" Disappointing, May 2, 2008
Unlike many of the other reviewers who thought this book was too difficult or complicated, I actually had the opposite problem. I bought the book hoping to see a wide variety of dinosaurs and names, so that we could improve our recognition and vocab a little. Instead, several of the pictures are repeated on different pages, or else only part of the dinosaur is shown, so we can't even tell if it stands on two legs or four. My 2 year old still likes the book, but I was hoping for a little more "meat" and a little less fluff. I was disappointed, as many Priddy Books are much more educational. Instead this is a nice supplement to what we already have but I wouldn't consider it a good stand-alone dinosaur book.

5.0 out of 5 stars We love love love this book, February 16, 2007
Nice heavy board book with lots of colors. The only draw back is there are no pronounciations of the names of the dinosaurs. But all in all this is a perfect book for a little dino lover!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classroom library addition, November 15, 2013
VLH3 (WOODLAWN, TN, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Big Dinosaur Book (Board book)
The children love to look at this book during our dinosaur study. It has been a big hit in our preschool classroom.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad art and a terrible Triceratops mistake, August 11, 2014
This review is from: My Big Dinosaur Book (Board book)
A series of books to be avoided. We've disliked each we've come upon, and this one deserve a straight one-star rating for its bad, inaccurate art (it looks almost like a half-melted version of Claymation) and especially its placement of triceratops under the heading "meat eaters." Given that the triceratops is one of the most beloved dinosaurs of all, it's embarrassing to see misinformation about it present in a children's book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great First Dino Book for Toddlers!, December 30, 2013
This review is from: My Big Dinosaur Book (Board book)
My 18-month-old is becoming quite the dinosaur fan, so I purchased this for him as a Christmas gift. He loves it! He likes to look at all the dinosaur pictures and rrrrrrraaaarrrrrrr at them. Very cute and sturdy book with tons of dinosaurs that will satisfy even the youngest dino fans.

My Big Dinosaur Book
My Big Dinosaur Book by Roger Priddy (Board book - May 10, 2011)
$7.99