Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Big Frank's Fire Truck (Pictureback(R))
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 29, 2000
I am an art teacher and the father of a four year old little boy who has fallen in love with this book. Not just because it is about big fire trucks, but because it is a wonderfully illustrated synopsis of an admirable man doing his job well along with a team of firefighters that represent other cultures and genders without making it seem forced (unlike public education). This is one of the finest children's books we have purchased and it is because of the wonderful detail of the illustrations and how they compliment the writing. This book could stand on it's own without the writing (Good Dog Carl) just because of the illustrations, but it is wonderful to see art and text compliment each other so well n children's books. Buy this book now if your boy (or girl) loves trucks, pictures, and a story that weaves the two together in a magical way. You'll see!
on July 16, 2001
I agree with the other reviews. My 2 year old will be getting many years enjoyment out of this book. I especially like it because it keeps his rapt interest for much longer than most 'pre-school' aged books, but is simple enough for a toddler. But my absolute favorite part, is the fact that Our Hero, Fireman Frank, has lunch and a nap as part of the book. With an active toddler, you need all the reinforcement you can get for those sticky areas!! :-) Great role model!
on February 27, 2015
I have a 4 year old fireman-wanna-be who loves this book. It has 2 rescue scenes, one a car crash and the other a forest fire. But it also show life in the firehouse. Totally age appropriate for 4+. I brought this book to school when I was a guest reader. The teachers loved the book too and wanted a copy so I ordered another for them. It includes a section on fire safety too. Totally recommend. A+
on October 21, 2011
I bought this book for my 3 year old grandson and he is always asking me to read it to him. He just loves it! The wording in the book is meant more for ages 6 and up (in my opinion) however, I just "modify" the words a little for my grandson. The pictures are great and very detailed. Excellent book!
on January 16, 2014
This story book was a little too long for my 2 year old to pay attention. It jammed so much info into the story that a young child may not want to listen to all of it. But my 5 year old listened and seem to enjoy it.
on July 17, 2013
My 21 month old son loves firetrucks, and he kept insisting we read the one firetruck book we had, a Richard Scarry story with a bunch of bumbling firefighters. Cute book, but it got old quickly and wasn't really teaching him anything about firefighting. I'm glad I found Big Frank's Fire Truck on Amazon because this book has been terrific! It's a real story that shows what firefighting is really about, and my son loves it for the great pictures. He'll happily sit and listen to this book over and over again (and I'm happy to read it over and over), and it's taught him a lot of new words (hook-and-ladder, off-road, etc) and new concepts (red light means stop, helping people). Big Frank also does things like eat food and take naps and hug his kids, which are all great for my son to see.

In short, this book is terrific. I highly recommend it for firetruck-obsessed toddlers!
on January 31, 2016
I'm very picky about what I give 5 stars to but this book has been requested by my 3 year old son every day since we gave it to him for Christmas (February 1 is tomorrow). My 5 year old daughter requests it nearly as often and my 7 year old daughter will also pick it up and read it from time to time.

PROS
1. The illustrations are fantastic - the illustrations are my favorite thing about this book. They are very engaging with lots of action, bright colors and detailed enough to be interesting even after multiple reads. I'll be googling the illustrator to see if he has done any other books we might be interested in.
2. Informative & interesting - my kids seem to enjoy knowing the real words for the different types of fire trucks and the day-in-the-life format weaves everything together.
3. I also appreciated that they show multiple ethnicities (kids and adults) in the book.
4. This one is more subjective but after reading this book every night for the past night *I* still like it, which I can't say for all the picture books we own...

CONS
1. I really had to rack my brain to think of anything. I guess it can be a bit of a long read if you're trying to rush your kids off to bed, but I think that could be said of ANY book. ;) And it's not nearly as long as any of Dr. Seuss' books (which I love but not if I want to get the kids to bed any time soon).
on March 5, 2016
This is a great story that the kids at my school loved. We read it during Fire Safety Week last October and it captured the attention of every class to which it was read. Kids love firemen and this book tells an enjoyable story that teaches them about a day-in-the-life of a fireman. I would highly recommend this book. It also has marvelous illustrations.
on February 9, 2015
Bought this as a gift to go with his fire truck. I thought the book was perfect for the 3 year old. It was easy to read and the illustrations were great. His mom called to let me know how much fun her son is having reading (with a little help) the book. It's his "new" favorite. I certainly recommend this book
on November 10, 2015
Love the details of a firefighters day. My toddler is obsessed with fire trucks at the moment and requests this book every time we read. I really enjoy the illustrations and the words flow well and are easy to read.