Customer Discussions > God of War - PlayStation 2 forum

Big Hydra Glitch?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 26, 2007 4:18:01 PM PDT
nadine says:
I'm at the beoss battle for the hydra. I defeated the 2 smaller ones easily, but there seems to be a problem with the big one. Everytime I try to smash it's head into the pole it won't do it. I'm pressing the circle button as fast as humanly possible, but it just bobs for a while and slams me against it. I've tried it way more than 3 times, but the thing never breaks!!! Is this a glitch, or am I doing something wrong?

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2007 4:02:05 PM PDT
its not just speed, the PS2 buttons are analog and you have to hit them hard as well as fast

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2007 8:37:58 PM PDT
Dwight says:
I have scoured the forums for help on this "glitch" that some claim are a problem with the Greatest Hits version or with older consoles. However, others report that it is only a matter of hitting the circle button hard and fast in the correct manner and the more detailed responses all direct using the index finger on the right hand instead of the thumb to hit the circle button while resting the controller on one's lap. My only experience is that after far far too long we finally got the pole to splinter once so it is NOT the Greatest Hits version that is the problem. However, I cannot tell you the exact method of hitting the button that got the pole to splinter. If I did, I wouldn't be still stuck on this part of the game trying to get it to happen two more times.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2008 7:14:31 AM PST
Yes, I did have to play that part for a couple of hours until I realized I wasn't fast enough, but frustrated. Added to that was the information online that some of the versions had a glitch in it, so I was ready to give up. Later, as a last ditch effort, I played hitting the circle button with the index finger, and found that my responses were faster than when I used my thumb on it. That's how I got through that section. I know it is frustrating, but once you go through it, and as you progress with the game, you will see many more worse frustrating areas. I almost spent a week decimating the robot minotaur later. Good luck !

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2008 6:27:54 AM PDT
The easiest way to get thru it is to just keep attacking when the first series of buttons in The Mini Game come up! It will wear him down considerably and give you the next sequence of button presses to execute in the Mini Game. The second series is easy. Just remember to KEEP UP A NORMAL ATTACK when the 1st Mini Game series comes on the screen. It's almost the only way to beat it!

It is very frustrating!

I know this post is old. But, I hope it helps those who are stuck.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2010 6:02:38 PM PDT
I recently got GoW and Im having the same problem with the big hydra. I cant seem to be able to smash its head against the mast pole. Ive tried everything I can think of here. What do I do?

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 6:43:41 AM PST
I had GOW2 and loved it and so I just had to find the first GOW. I was enjoying the game until that dreaded hydra. The smaller ones were fairly easy until I had to climb up and kill the main hydra. I slammed that circle button as fast as I can possible go and after trying and trying and trying repeatedly for over an hour I didnt even splinter the mast so I gave up on the game for a long time. Than just the other day when I went to my friends house to try out some games I came accross my GOW and wondered if he would have any success or is it indeed a glitch. Well, he killed the dang thing in less that 15 minutes so it wasnt a glitch. I meant to bring over my memory card so I wouldnt have to do this myself but alas forgot it. Oh well, at least I knew their was no glitch and it is possible. So I tried again and finially killed the beast within an hour. But it was hard, at least for me and I pray the other bosses are not this difficult. I personally would rather tap a series of buttons that doing the one button repeatedly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2014 6:43:15 PM PST
Danielle T says:
"fast in the correct manner and the more detailed responses all direct using the index finger on the right hand instead of the thumb to hit the circle button while resting the controller on one's lap"

Using the index finger worked every time, while thumb was too slow.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Apr 26, 2007
Latest post:  Jan 2, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
God of War - PlayStation 2
God of War - PlayStation 2 by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation2)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (502)