5.0 out of 5 stars Forgot I was camping

Published 19 months ago by Aphrael

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but Not The Best, November 27, 2012
Aphrael (Pacific Coast USA) - See all my reviews
I tried out a long-wide Big Agnes Q-core, and found it to be comfortable, but ended up exchanging it for the Exped Synmat 9. As far as comfort, I found the two pads to be so similar that I don't think anyone could detect the difference in a blind test. Both are VERY comfortable, and a huge improvement over closed cell foam pads, although there is the weight penalty. The two pads are about the same size, both in use, and when rolled up.

I found the Exped SynMat superior for several reasons. While this Big Agnes pad weighs about five ounces less, neither pad is ideal for light backpacking, and this mat has a notably heavier feeling bottom material for ground contact. For me, the extra durability is well worth the extra five ounces. We have other super-light air pads for serious backpacking.

It is a few refined features that make the Exped pad superior. The integrated air pump in this Exped mat really works, and works without serious effort. The integrated air pump will fill this pad in aboutone quarter of the time needed to blow up the Q-core pad with lung power. The Q-core inflate/deflate valve is very small diameter, and the idea of blowing spit and breath-humidity into the Big Agnes through the tiny mouth piece mat is distasteful. It can't be the best practice to leave the pad full of humid air and saliva. The Big Agnes pad also takes four or five times as long to deflate, since the air must exit the pad through the same tiny mouth piece. This Exped mat has a larger diameter deflation valve that makes fast work of packing up the pad. It is a nice bonus that this Exped SynMat 9 pad was $45 less expensive than the same size of Big Agnes Q-core.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forgot I was camping, April 21, 2012
This review is from: Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core Sleeping Pad
My Thermarest was about twenty years old and I decided to get a thicker pad. After reading the review in Backpacker I ordered the Q to go with my new Big Agnus bag. I have always found it relaxing to camp but have spent many nights tossing and turning, not with the Q. I have used it six times this year and have forgotten I was camping Each time. It feels like I'm in a bed. I really like the thicker sides, it holds you in the center of your bag and you don't drift. I highly recommend a Big Agnus bag because of the pad sleeve. With this combo I won't go back to a thinner pad or none sleeve bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality., November 21, 2012
This review is from: Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core Sleeping Pad
The pattern makes for a comfortable nights sleep. I am not a fast and light type of backpacker. I love enjoying my time outdoors. So bringing products that are light, sturdy, and comfortable are at the top of my list. This pad is not noisy like the Thermarest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this!!, November 20, 2012
I got the wide & long version for backpacking. It is extremely lightweight & folds up to be surprisingly small. I slept so comfortably. No pressure spots, no circulation cut off, nothing ever even touched the ground. This is the most comfortable sleeping pad I've tried.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best hiking mattress I have owned!, December 11, 2012
The title says it all. This is the best hiking mattress I have ever owned.

Pros:
1) 3.5 inches thick.
2) Most comfortable hiking mattress I have slept on.
3)Durable. This is not made out of flimsy material, like the Therm-a-rest Neoair. I believe this mattress will stand the test of time. I can not say the same about the Neoair.
4)Love the beveled edge on this mattress. This really helps you stay on the mattress at night.

Cons:
1)This mattress is not light. I think it weights in at around 2 pounds, which ends up being about 1 pound more than the Neoair. If you are an ultra-light weight backpacker, then stick with the Neoair. I on the other hand do not might carrying an extra pound to sleep better on the trail.
2)This mattress is not easy to blow up. Beware, if you are trying to blow this mattress up at high elevation, then your lungs will sure get a workout. This is the reason I am giving this mattress four stars, rather than five. When you have hiked many miles at high elevation, the last thing you want to do is pass out trying to blow up your mattress.

Overall, this mattress is, in my opinion, the best hiking mattress on the market. This mattress has very few cons, will last a long time, and is not to hard on your wallet. I would buy this product again in a heartbeat!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable, March 30, 2013
L. Kellogg (Marysville, WA) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace a 30-year-old Original Thermarest. My, how camping pad technology has changed! Doesn't take very long to inflate using the vastly overpriced BA Pumphouse pump, though as the pad gets more full, the air shoots back through the valve and into the pump and I had to complete inflation with breath, which I had been hoping to avoid. 3.5 inches in thickness makes for a very comfortable night, and I never bottomed out. The only downside is that 20 inches in width is very narrow, and I ended up bracing my weight against the ground with a knee to avoid falling off the height. If you're a side sleeper and turn over a lot, as I am and do, be prepared to learn to pivot horizontally.

Insulated = yes indeed. I ended up being too hot and switching from sleeping bag to blankets just to get airflow and cool off. Whatever they use in it to insulate, it works. Very nice change from the cold always seeping through the old, thin Thermarest.

Never lost air for the two nights I used it for. It's a bit on the pricey side, but overall, I'm pretty happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best pad on the market!, October 20, 2013
After spending 30 hours in my tent laying on this Big Agnes pad during the some torrential storms, I can say that this pad has got to be the most comfortable Pad on the market. I am amazed at how much this beat my old therma-rest. I recommend this pad to everyone I know. I sleep better on this than any others that I have tried. Do not hesitate about this pad. You will sleep well. I bought the longest, widest and thickest one. It's worth the extra weight of a larger mattress to have a comfortable nights sleep.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfy, although needs an extra puff or two after 1 night, August 8, 2013
I'm primarily a side-sleeper, and managed to sleep pretty good with the roosters crowing all over Kaua'i for 6 days of camping. Thick air cushion is pretty comfy after a long day of backpacking, Packs down pretty small too, compared to most pads.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow, what comfort!, February 7, 2013
This review is from: Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core Sleeping Pad
Inflates great with the Pumphouse Pad Pump (really is needed), and doesn't take too long. Worth the effort for the extra comfort! Packs down pretty small too, not a big space hog.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable pad, superb customer service!, March 12, 2013
Minnesota Musician (Vadnais Heights, MN United States) - See all my reviews
The Q-Core is the most comfortable sleeping pad I've used. I bought the 25x78 pad. It's high quality, super comfortable and rolls up more compact than other (self-inflating, mind you) pads I've owned. I had an issue with my pad and I must share that Big Agnes Customer Service is the BEST! Outside of that, the only thing that keeps me from giving this a 5th star is the fact it does not have a built in pump. So far I have only slept on it indoors so I cannot comment on the 'warmth' of the pad. I can't wait to go camping this spring!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Big Ag. Insul. Q-Core Pad Rect. 20x72"
$139.95 $111.96