Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on September 21, 2013
I think of Big Jake as being in the "Golden Years of John Wayne". I actually met him while he was filming Green Berets at Eglin AFB, FL.

I get a kick out of the "new technology" in 1909, and I think the supporting cast is one of the best ever (admittedly about 8 people are in dang near ALL of his movies).

WARNING: the DvD wont play in computers; so if thats how you watch movies you'll need to get the movie some other way.
on October 1, 2015
It has a few bad spots at the beginning be careful when you order play right away
on January 17, 2014
This John Wayne movie was a disappointment to me. I tried real hard to like it. It just seemed to not be made with any effort to make it seem real. The storyline was okay but poorly executed. It almost seemed like they were in a hurry to finish the movie so really poor quality scenes were left. If about 20 scenes were redone with a little better writing the movie could have been improved 100%. This most likely would have taken just a week or so to rework the scenes.

Richard Boone is always good and so is John Wayne. Lots of the scenes were great and it seems kind of poor direction to not redo the junk parts of the movie. It was many moons ago so who really cares. I just watched Red River and True Grit and High Noon and Winchester 73 and they were made well and with meaning. Those 4 movies must have had the scenes redone until they were good.

By redone I mean even rewriting some of the goofy dialogue and changing script to seem more real. It would not have been too hard.
on January 27, 2013
I recieved the book and sent a good review before I tried to watch it . I never had any problems before, so I thought it would be okay. But when I tried to watch it,
It fail to come on, saying I needed a different code. So I wasn't pleased with this transaction. Thank You !
on April 6, 2013
Oh boy you get to see John Wayne's dog and best friend both hacked to death by a machete wielding bad guy - leave this one at home - John Wayne should have been ashamed by this idiotic movie
on October 7, 2012
OK, violence, for violence's sake, I can understand, in some contexts. In this movie, however, the violence, and I mean little kids getting killed, a dog being slashed to death, guys being gut-shot every two to three minutes, or so, is gruesome and tiresome. On top of that, yuck-yuck humor is thrown in with the same regularity: A search is being organized to find a kidnapped child, but his uncles and grandfather still have time to get into a zany, mud-splashed fight in the yard while his sexy, hot grandma chuckles as she watches. Throw in the lighthearted sound track that plays as guys are shot to death, and this movie gets even more bizarre, almost on a surreal level. All in all, I think the screenwriter and director must have been doing lots of alcohol and other drugs as they put this stinker together. Oh yeah, Duke is pretty terrible in it, as well. His lines, along with just about everyone else's, are so bad, at times, that I cringed. A black mark on Duke's cinematic past, to be sure.
on March 16, 2011
I recently received the movie Big Jake off of amazon and the movie will not play in the DVD player. It says there is no readable disk in the player?
on December 22, 2011
Great latter day Duke is "The Shootist". "Big Jake" has not aged well.I almost snoozed through the dull story line.
on May 17, 2003
John Wayne was as great as great can be when he was working for the major directors and had a good cast around him. His turkeys were invariably cooked up by his own production company Batjac, and this is one of them. Maybe when he was paying the bills he lost his sense of proportion or movie instincts, it's hard to tell. He certainly should have examined the script more closely: "Big Jake" doesn't have a single convincing scene or line of dialogue throughout. Wayne was 62 when it was filmed and as an action hero cuts a preposterous figure, lumbering through stunts he was a dozen years too old to do. At least earlier in "True Grit" and later in "The Shootist" this infirmity was written into the story; here it's ignored. The supporting cast except for Richard Boone is beneath contempt and even Boone is given some howlers to declaim. He looks positively grateful to be dead in the last scene.
66 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse