5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Big Lake, Kindle edition

1.0 out of 5 stars Big Lake, bigger disappointment
Published on December 29, 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Big Lake, Kindle edition, May 22, 2011
This review is from: Big Lake (Kindle Edition)
This was a good and easy read. The story was set in Arizona and the location descriptions were easy to imagine. The author did a great job of giving enough, but not too much, info on each character. This prevented me from knowing ahead of time what the probable outcome was going to be; and I must confess, I truly "didn't see it coming." The plots twists were exciting and unexpected and kept me interested all the way through the story. There were no areas where the story seemed to lag.

I highly recommend this book and am looking forward to a sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting whodoneit!, May 24, 2011
This review is from: Big Lake (Kindle Edition)
Put aside any scheduled chores and errands you have for the day, because once you start reading this book you will not be able to put it down. A talented wordsmith, Nick Russell has created an easily imagined town with believable and endearing characters. The book moves along at a crisp pace and the plot twists and turns keep you engaged. The ending surely came as a great but believable surprise...did not see that coming...very clever.

Sure hope the sequel is in the making as I would like to visit Big Lake again and see how the residents are doing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great First Novel, May 24, 2011
This review is from: Big Lake (Kindle Edition)
I guess I should say: Move over Stuart Woods !! Nick Russell does a great job of fleshing out his characters. The occasional bit of humor is pure Nick Russell. And there even a bit of love-making to fill in the relationships. The plot has lots of twists and turns, with a very surprising ending to the whodunit. Congratulations to Nick Russell.. a great first novel and I look forward to many more. Keep em coming, Nick..

1.0 out of 5 stars Big Lake, bigger disappointment, December 29, 2011
This review is from: Big Lake (Kindle Edition)
Big Lake. I have read all of the Michael Connelly, David Baldacci, and Richard Castle books, and was looking for a new author that might write novels of the same caliber. After reading the reviews for Big Lake I was so hopeful that Nick Russell might be my new "must read" author. The book was inexpensive as a kindle edition, and I began reading with great expectations. It turns out that I wasted my $.99, and the several hours it took to read the book.

The writing style was amateurish, the characters were poorly developed, and the plot was thin. I figured out who the killer was in the first few chapters. I was dismayed at what a shallow lead character Jim Weber turned out to be. After reading the entire book I cannot give a full physical description of the man, nor do I know much about him as a man. I'm glad to learn that Big Lake is a fictional town, because there is virtually no reality to the description Russell gives of small town life in Arizona.

There were also numerous glaring editing errors in the book. One chapter had Sheriff Weber and FBI agent Park searching the cabin of murder victim Phil Johnson. Astonishingly the sheriff was doing laundry of his uniforms at this cabin, and the agent commented on a truck the sheriff was restoring in the garage! Then Park noticed that Johnson's vehicle was missing from that same garage! I'm fairly sure that you don't do laundry at a crime scene, nor do you restore trucks in a crime scene garage.

The story took place over just about a week, and the sheriff managed to make love with two different women that he had never bedded before, and he wanted badly to sleep with a third. Only his "virtue" stopped him from sleeping with her. The sheriff's office was staffed with keystone cops, and the FBI agents were laughable in both their dialogue and conduct. There is no reason to believe the book was a comedy as several people were murdered, yet I found myself laughing at just how sophomoric the dialogue was.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't read this book. But if your standards for quality writing are of the Connelly or Baldacci vein, then you probably will feel that you have wasted your time with this author and his work.

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it so much I went ahead and bought three ..., August 22, 2014
This review is from: Big Lake (Kindle Edition)
This was a new author for me. I liked it so much I went ahead and bought three more of the series based on the Big Lake Az and featuring Sheriff Jim Weber.

5.0 out of 5 stars First book of a terrific series, July 31, 2014
Norma Heck (Champaign, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Big Lake (Paperback)
Nick Russell is one of my favorite authors. Excellent mystery, written with humor. Love the characters, and the way the story evolves. Read the sequels, too! I can't recommend these books highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars It was a very good book, as was most of the rest in ..., September 8, 2014
This review is from: Big Lake (Kindle Edition)
I read this as a 9 pack of books for .99 and wow was I completely surprised. It was a very good book, as was most of the rest in the pack. I will get the rest of his Big Lake books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big Lake, September 11, 2014
This review is from: Big Lake (Kindle Edition)
This was a good book. The author did a good job of making the reader choose the perpetrator only to find out it was the wrong one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Figured out the ending at about 50+%, December 11, 2011
Maureen Rosch (Kitty Hawk, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Big Lake (Kindle Edition)
Unlike other readers, I figured out the ending about halfway through the book. The giveaway is in the beginning, with the person who wants to stop! The author could have used a better editor as well, as the writing was somewhat amateur. Otherwise, a good story with good character development.

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed the book, September 2, 2014
LESALIE "Lesalie" (New York, New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Big Lake (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed the book, read it on the way to and from work and before I go to bed. The characters were strong, the story line interesting, almost at the end, I figured out the sister had to be the killer. She sure had her brother fooled. Looking forward to reading more Nick Russell books.

Big Lake