5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Big Lake, Kindle edition

1.0 out of 5 stars Big Lake, bigger disappointment
Published on December 29, 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Big Lake, Kindle edition, May 22, 2011
This review is from: Big Lake (Kindle Edition)
This was a good and easy read. The story was set in Arizona and the location descriptions were easy to imagine. The author did a great job of giving enough, but not too much, info on each character. This prevented me from knowing ahead of time what the probable outcome was going to be; and I must confess, I truly "didn't see it coming." The plots twists were exciting and unexpected and kept me interested all the way through the story. There were no areas where the story seemed to lag.

I highly recommend this book and am looking forward to a sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting whodoneit!, May 24, 2011
This review is from: Big Lake (Kindle Edition)
Put aside any scheduled chores and errands you have for the day, because once you start reading this book you will not be able to put it down. A talented wordsmith, Nick Russell has created an easily imagined town with believable and endearing characters. The book moves along at a crisp pace and the plot twists and turns keep you engaged. The ending surely came as a great but believable surprise...did not see that coming...very clever.

Sure hope the sequel is in the making as I would like to visit Big Lake again and see how the residents are doing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great First Novel, May 24, 2011
This review is from: Big Lake (Kindle Edition)
I guess I should say: Move over Stuart Woods !! Nick Russell does a great job of fleshing out his characters. The occasional bit of humor is pure Nick Russell. And there even a bit of love-making to fill in the relationships. The plot has lots of twists and turns, with a very surprising ending to the whodunit. Congratulations to Nick Russell.. a great first novel and I look forward to many more. Keep em coming, Nick..

1.0 out of 5 stars Big Lake, bigger disappointment, December 29, 2011
This review is from: Big Lake (Kindle Edition)
Big Lake. I have read all of the Michael Connelly, David Baldacci, and Richard Castle books, and was looking for a new author that might write novels of the same caliber. After reading the reviews for Big Lake I was so hopeful that Nick Russell might be my new "must read" author. The book was inexpensive as a kindle edition, and I began reading with great expectations. It turns out that I wasted my $.99, and the several hours it took to read the book.

The writing style was amateurish, the characters were poorly developed, and the plot was thin. I figured out who the killer was in the first few chapters. I was dismayed at what a shallow lead character Jim Weber turned out to be. After reading the entire book I cannot give a full physical description of the man, nor do I know much about him as a man. I'm glad to learn that Big Lake is a fictional town, because there is virtually no reality to the description Russell gives of small town life in Arizona.

There were also numerous glaring editing errors in the book. One chapter had Sheriff Weber and FBI agent Park searching the cabin of murder victim Phil Johnson. Astonishingly the sheriff was doing laundry of his uniforms at this cabin, and the agent commented on a truck the sheriff was restoring in the garage! Then Park noticed that Johnson's vehicle was missing from that same garage! I'm fairly sure that you don't do laundry at a crime scene, nor do you restore trucks in a crime scene garage.

The story took place over just about a week, and the sheriff managed to make love with two different women that he had never bedded before, and he wanted badly to sleep with a third. Only his "virtue" stopped him from sleeping with her. The sheriff's office was staffed with keystone cops, and the FBI agents were laughable in both their dialogue and conduct. There is no reason to believe the book was a comedy as several people were murdered, yet I found myself laughing at just how sophomoric the dialogue was.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't read this book. But if your standards for quality writing are of the Connelly or Baldacci vein, then you probably will feel that you have wasted your time with this author and his work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Figured out the ending at about 50+%, December 11, 2011
Maureen Rosch (Kitty Hawk, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Big Lake (Kindle Edition)
Unlike other readers, I figured out the ending about halfway through the book. The giveaway is in the beginning, with the person who wants to stop! The author could have used a better editor as well, as the writing was somewhat amateur. Otherwise, a good story with good character development.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best 99 cents you will spend., May 23, 2011
This review is from: Big Lake (Kindle Edition)
If you are a mystery fan and like a book that keeps you guessing until the very end, this is the book for you. Nick Russel has written an easy reading, hard to put down whodoneit. I am looking forward for his next book to be released. Purchase, read and enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big Lake Review, May 18, 2012
This review is from: Big Lake (Kindle Edition)
Very well written mystery/murder novel. Enjoyed the characters and the plot, although I had figured out who had done the killing before the end. Nicely written and well told story line, with some history of the scene and area.

5.0 out of 5 stars More twists and turns than a mountain road along a big lake, April 13, 2012
This review is from: Big Lake (Kindle Edition)
It is one thing for a writer to conjure up how it is in a small town and quite another for the real story to be told. Big Lake author Nick Russell gets inside the story of a double murder with the ability of a man who has been in a small town and doesn't need to invent life in the countryside. He knows it and you will too as you follow the hero Sheriff in the story who attempts to pin down the facts as this story slides all around the lives and back roads of an Arizona town. Like pompous politicians who manuever public money so their kid can get hired as a deputy? This book has it! How about nut-case militia types? Got 'em. Sexy damsels in distress who want to bed the Sheriff? Got her too. This book brings to life every one except those who have been killed off as the body count builds. A surprise tests the honesty of the Sheriff, just get busy reading this really terrific mystery. One of the best books I have read in a long time with a field crowded with talented authors, this one is top notch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good small town drama, March 9, 2012
This review is from: Big Lake (Kindle Edition)
This was a classic "who done it" to the end. You think you have it solved and you don't. You have your ideas then they get shot down. The author does a great job with the characters, I could picture them. I have ordered his other book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, fast paced novel, January 30, 2012
This review is from: Big Lake (Kindle Edition)
Big Lake is a fast paced novel with memorable characters and quick and witty dialogue. I am looking forward to more novels from Mr. Russell.

Big Lake