4.0 out of 5 stars Eating to live healthy
Published on March 13, 2007 by P. Plein

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not perfect.
This is a fairly comprehensive calorie guide, especially for basic foods that would make up your diet (like fruits and veggies and lean proteins, etc.)

Published on March 12, 2007 by L. Boswell

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not perfect., March 12, 2007
This review is from: The Biggest Loser Complete Calorie Counter: The Quick and Easy Guide to Thousands of Foods from Grocery Stores and Popular Restaurants (Paperback)

I found the fast-food restaurant guides to be somewhat random and incomplete. Most popular places were included, but often only a small selection of their menu was given. Plus some of the large national chains weren't in there (maybe they couldn't get permission?).

The guide can also be somewhat difficult to navigate, the order didn't seem to make much sense, although I suppose you could just tag the pages for items you frequently eat.

All-in-all I'd recommend this as a good pocket guide to carry with you when you go out, because it is small and light and does contain a lot of information, even if it's not perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Eating to live healthy, March 13, 2007
P. Plein "pplein" (Santa Barbara, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I found this a useful resource the first week or two I had it but do not use it as much now that I am getting used to healthy portions. I decided to buy this even though I was already using the internet at the end of the day to look up calorie info because I found it more beneficial to keep track of calories as the day progressed to prevent eating too many calories, at the end of the day it's already too late. I kept this in my purse and now usually leave it at home, but this is still a great resource. I still look things up sometimes but the first two or three weeks I looked at it everytime I ate. My only complaint is that even though this is a VERY thorough guide there are some very specific things like specific ways of preparing an omelete or different type of pizza that are not listed. There's more than a page of eggs listed but only one omelete and only four types of pizza. This is the only calorie guide in book form that I would recomend but I guess it's not possible to list every possible combination of foods.

Live well, live healthy, live happy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy The Calorie King instead!, April 21, 2008
This product does not even begin to compare to the Calorie King guide. I purchased the Calorie King calorie guide a few months ago on Amazon. My husband decided to start counting calories and asked me to order him a calorie guide. I was excited when I found The Biggest Loser Calorie guide. We are big fans of The Biggest Loser television show. We were both very dissapointed. First of all, it is very plain(black & white). It had very limited info on restaurant foods. Only healthy items like chicken or fish were listed. When I go on a diet I like to have more of a selection than chicken or fish. Calorie King is a much better guide for about the same price. The resturant section has most of the major chains & their menu items on it. The book is colorful and has helpful information on dieting. I am ordering another Calorie King for my husband. Don't waste your money on this!

1.0 out of 5 stars biggest loser calorie counter, March 16, 2007
This book was very disappointing. It certainly did live up to the reviews I read. I am a physician and ordered ten of these books for the patients I teach diet therapy to. The book was difficult to find items in the manner that they were subdivided. Once the subdivision was found, it was then noted to be limited, and certainly not very comprehensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars 125 lbs. in 8 months. Thanks Cheryl!, January 31, 2007
Although I didn't win any big prize as NH's Representative for The Biggest Loser 3, I was one of 9 people from the 36 sent home to lose over 100lbs. I can't say enough how Cherly Forberg's books, counsel and input had a dramatic impact on my success. Not only were her materials easy to work with, but they were dead on when it came to losing lots of weight consistently. Most importantly, I was never hungry following her rules. If you don't do anything else to lose weight, you must exercise and use this guide on your way to a healthier life style.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed in Complete Calorie Counter, January 18, 2007
I have seen much more complete calorie counter books. There are A LOT of everyday items that are not included in this book, for instance, oatmeal that needs to be cooked, not instant, and many vegetables are not included. I realize that you can't include everything, but I think that there is too much information on fast food restaurants and restaurants that are not located in all of the major cities and that space could be better used to include more food items and their calories.

1.0 out of 5 stars About Kindle edition, January 1, 2011
bdn (Huntington Beach, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Re: Kindle 3 (Latest Generation)

I don't recommend the Kindle edition of this book. Instead of creating HTML tables and typing the information to make them readable for Kindle, the author just take pictures of the tabulated information and pasted them to the HTML documents. The tables are unreadable and I had to return the book. These tables might be readable in Kindle DX but there is no such warning.

NOTE: THE RATING IS FOR THE KINDLE VERSION FORMAT - NOT THE CONTENTS OF THE BOOK - SINCE I MUST GIVE A RATING TO POST THIS REVIEW

1.0 out of 5 stars The loser is the one who buys this book!, May 6, 2008
Several things make this "guide" unsatisfactory.

First, they use such a small type that it is impossible for anyone over 40 to read it without glasses.

Next there are the "creative categories"...I kind of expect milk products to be under "dairy"...not under "beverages".

Then there is the inconsistency of their measurements of a serving size. For cottage cheese, the chart ranges from 4 oz to 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup...now we get to "do the math".

Their "Dining Out" consists of all the Fast Food restaurants on the planet...with only PF Chang as a restaurant that I might find helpful.

Do yourself a favor...buy a different book.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS FABULOUS, February 26, 2007
I absolutely love this calorie counter. It gives you the calories in everyday foods you get at the grocery store, plus, it gives you calorie counts for fast food restaurants. It gives you the calories for things you should eat at these restaurants and a few examples of things you should definitely stay away from. They're obvious because they're so many more calories than the others listed. I carry it in my purse so that I have it whenever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jaron Tate, 160 lbs by counting calories. thanks Cheryl!, January 31, 2007
This book is an essential if you are serious about making a long term change in your eating habits. Losing weight is not rocket science. It takes a decision and then 3rd grade math. Calories in, calories out. Cheryl does an awsome job of making it as simple as possible to keep tabs on what is going into your pie hole! I highly recommend anything written by cheryl to people who are motivated to get into shape!. Thanks lady.