Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 15, 2004
Ever since I discovered Steve Jenkins, I've been seeking out each and every one of his books. I love his illustration style, and his books lay the groundwork for a love of science and an interest in the wonders of the world. This book nicely complements Animal Dads, What Do You Do With a Tail Like This, and What Do You Do When Something Wants To Eat You. All of these titles illustrate biological variation, adaptation, and the relationship between form and function. Yet the illustrations are bold and uncluttered and the text is short and easy to read aloud. Like his other books, Biggest, Strongest, Fastest features the main text in a large font with additional information (2 or 3 sentences) in a smaller font. You can decide to read more about an animal depending on your child's interest level. What I really like about this book is that it also takes advantage of children's natural fascination with superlatives. You don't just read about any snake, you learn about the biggest snake (the anaconda). Every new animal illustration is accompanied by a smaller picture showing the relative sizes of the animal and a human. Preschoolers and kindergarteners absorb new information and facts like a sponge, so don't be surprised if your child starts to recite information from the book when you visit the zoo. Whether you simply want to celebrate diversity in animal life or you want to lay a foundation for discussing evolution when a child is older, this book is a great choice for young children.
on January 15, 2010
My daughters (ages 4 and 7) really enjoy being read to, and this is one book that we own that I actually enjoy reading to them. I like this book because it has not only taught my girls some facts about the animal kingdom, but I have learned as well. We really enjoy learning about the diverse animals found around the world, and Jenkins' book has led us to learning more about these animals on YouTube. My girls always want me to quiz them about the animals found in this book. Simple one-sentence facts are provided of each animal, and additional facts that are more detailed are provided in smaller font. The bright cut-paper collages of the animals are eye-catching, and I really like the helpful chart at the back of the book. All 14 animals are listed, and information concerning the size, diet, location and uniqueness of each animal is provided. This was a great Christmas gift from grandpa and grandma.
on January 2, 2015
I love Steve Jenkins' books/illustrations, and have collected every one of his books and often give them as gifts. Unfortunately, I feel this one isn't as stunning of some of his more recent work. The colors aren't as vibrant, the illustrations aren't as complex, and the concept isn't as creative.
I'd go with some of the newer work: Never Smile at a Monkey, Top of the World..., Actual Size, My First Day, or my personal favorite: What Do You Do With A Tail Like This?

That being said, it should be noted that Biggest, Strongest, Fastest was published more than a decade before many of the ones I listed, which means that unlike many authors/illustrators who create 2nd rate knockoffs of their successful books, Steve Jenkins is constantly improving...both in illustrative quality and in story creativity. Some of his more recent work deserves 5/5 stars, if not 6, because he accomplishes not only the most incredible/unique illustrations, but comes up with such fun and creative story lines...allowing children to interact with the books.
on September 26, 2007
My 5-year old son never gets tired of reading this book! Great details and context provided, so that a young child can grasp just how big, fast, strong, etc., these animals are.
on June 8, 2014
in both its words and its images, this Steve Jenkins book for youngsters is charming, informative — engaging.
a fine book for you to read to them, and then for them to pick up for themselves.
my granddaughters applaud and holler for more!
on July 16, 2010
I absolutely love Steve Jenkins books. They are an excellent way to introduce non-fiction to young readers. Many young children are reluctant to read non-fiction because of the lack of entertainment in them. However, this book uses amazing artwork and intriguing facts about animals. The side illustrations that show comparisons to people are also wonderful because the students can make the connections. This is a must-have book!
on February 27, 2013
The artwork in this well made paperback book is exceptional. Each page explains the strength of the animal, providing facts about each of the Biggest, Strongest, Fastest! Although I sent it to a relative for her grandchildren, I may order another copy for me to re-read! Check it out and savor it! Kudos to Amazon for offering this book!

Kathleen
on July 12, 2007
I love this book and so does my daughter. She learns alot and has fun. I highly recommend this book to anyone. Seller shipped very quickly.
on February 9, 2011
My 5 year old grandson and I love books. And Steve Jenkins is one of our favorites! There is more than one level to this book. You can just read the basic information. For more in depth, you can read the little tidbits on the page. We have learned so much from these books.
on March 13, 2014
My grandson absolutely loved this book!
After I read him this book, he asked me to read it three more times.
The book is informative and captures the mind of a young child.