4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Lesson Set During Valentine's Day
This is a nice little story for children about working together, that is set nicely during Valentine's Day. Two little boys start to create a valentine for their teacher, but begin to fight about what the other did "wrong" and decide to go it alone. But when they aren't really happy with their solo results either, they decide to give it another go together...
Published on February 7, 2009 by Nicki Heskin

3.0 out of 5 stars My 4 Year Old Got Bored
The book was good, I enjoyed the story but it did not keep my 4 year old engaged. My almost 7 year old was bored as well.
Published 15 months ago by Tracy Polakoff

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Lesson Set During Valentine's Day, February 7, 2009
This review is from: The Biggest Valentine Ever (Paperback)

The ultimate message is that while working together sometimes means not having things exactly the way you would have done it, it also means being able to use one another's strengths and talents to make something better than either would be able to create alone. And what they end up creating is bigger and better than either of them would have conceived of on their own.

The story itself is pretty simplistic and the message is very accessible for young school-aged children. Probably best for preschool-age and older as a read-to-me book, or a good early reader book (probably 2nd grade level and up) to read alone.

The illustrations are nice -- nothing spectacular or memorable as a standalone effort, but they tell the story well. I like that the little boys show no issues with using pink hearts and glitter as befits Valentine's Day -- no needless attempt to have them make a "boy" valentine. They even dress their final attempt with lace doily. :-) That does a nice job at making this book accessible for both boys and girls.

The only thing that strikes me as a bit odd is the first page of the book, which says "Once there were two mice who fell in love with the same valentine, but it didn't start out that way." I don't really see what that has to do with the rest of the story and it doesn't really make sense (I've tried to relate it, to no avail), but it doesn't bother me that much, because I had forgotten about it by the end of the story.

Overall, I think this is a nice read for a home story, or for a classroom read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindergarten students love it!, February 14, 2011
This review is from: The Biggest Valentine Ever (Paperback)
During February we talk about friendship in my kindergarten class. We brainstorm ways we can be a good friend, how to talk to one another, and how friends should work together nicely and play cooperatively. This book ties in PERFECTLY! It addresses all the above mentioned concepts of friendship and is a very sweet story. My students loved it and wanted repeat readings of it. You will enjoy reading this to a preschool-first grade class or to your own 4-7 yr old. Due to the length and friendship conflict I would recommend it for ages 4 and up.

5.0 out of 5 stars My grandson loved it, April 2, 2013
This review is from: The Biggest Valentine Ever (Paperback)
My grandson loved the book and had his parents read it to him several times on Valentine's Day. Thanks for the quick way to send a gift to him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute book, March 1, 2008
This review is from: The Biggest Valentine Ever (Paperback)
I ordered this as a Valentines Day gift. It was just expected. It is a paperback, better for kids over 3 yrs.
Cute book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good- non-tv character holiday book., January 18, 2010
This review is from: The Biggest Valentine Ever (Paperback)
I like this book because the story and illustrations are cute, but most of all because it isn't just a television character holiday book. I think it has more staying power.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story, August 9, 2013
This review is from: The Biggest Valentine Ever (Paperback)
We love this story as it was read in class. The students wanted to read it more than one time.

5.0 out of 5 stars My students loved this book!, June 6, 2013
This review is from: The Biggest Valentine Ever (Paperback)
I teach first grade and my students, both boys and girls alike, really enjoyed this book. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grand children love Valentine Book, March 25, 2013
This review is from: The Biggest Valentine Ever (Paperback)
My two grandchildren love this book! Sending it in the mail to them for Valentines day completed the suprise! Reading with their parents provided both a memorable experience. Hearing them tell me about it was as good as it gets...

5.0 out of 5 stars great, February 19, 2013
This review is from: The Biggest Valentine Ever (Paperback)
Wonderful little book for kids, my daughter loved it. The story was so sweet and great reading for beginners. My daughter is an kindergartner and she enjoyed it

5.0 out of 5 stars Valentine book, March 17, 2014
This review is from: The Biggest Valentine Ever (Paperback)
Use this only for one or two days, it is a big hit with the preschoolers. Fun and entertaining for them.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Biggest Valentine Ever
The Biggest Valentine Ever by Steven Kroll (Paperback - January 1, 2006)
$3.99 $3.26