5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for Beginners
This review was written by my 13 year old son, an avid cyclist and junior racer.

Published on April 1, 2010 by Nancy Devine

3.0 out of 5 stars good
really good product with many usefull i nformation that make me understand what i wanted.i will buy and other products fromthe author
Published 17 months ago by EVANGELOS KASTAMOULAS

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for Beginners, April 1, 2010
Nancy Devine (Bellevue, Washington) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bike Racing for Juniors: A Guide for Riders, Parents, and Coaches (Paperback)

After being a cycling fan for a few years before making a go of it myself, I thought that I knew a lot about cycling. I have read numerous books about professional cyclists. Yet the book about the pro cyclist who did such and such does not have the information the beginner needs: what to buy, where to buy it, learning about training, and much more. Bike Racing for Juniors addresses all these points. It is all finished off with extensive appendixes. When beginning this is a vital resource.

Early in the book there are lists of things that are necessary (sadly I did not read this book until the end of my first season). Learning where to buy things is also addressed. There is extensive information on bikes and the pros and cons of each type. Included as well are instructions for caring for your equipment. Learning what you need is very important and this book addresses it well.

No cycling knowledge is necessary, as this book describes the many facets of training. Using plain language Kristen Dieffenbach makes it seem simple. Plenty of figures and charts guide the reader. There is also information on how to keep a training log. There are sample training log pages in the appendix. Again I wish I had read this book when I was starting out.

Very understandable, this book will guide you through your first season. Buying equipment is important, and after just the first chapter you will know what you need. Training is the most important thing in cycling, and a good concise chapter will provide all the knowledge you need. The appendixes provide almost all of what is not covered in the text. This book is written for the beginner.

3.0 out of 5 stars good, July 6, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Nutrition, Training, Equpment - this book has it all!, November 13, 2012
A great book for the beginning junior biker - informative and intelligent training tips for parents and coaches as well as the racer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overview, August 30, 2012
I found this book useful. It covers a wide ragne of aspects relevant to junior cycling, and all modes (MTB, road, even BMX). The sections on how to keep out of the way of your child's coach, and the importance of attitude (especially for children reading the book) were good.

My disappointments with this book were twofold:
1. It did not include any actual training programmes - it only got so far as to explain the rotating and building up of phase of training. Some examples for different ages and levels of competetiveness would be useful. But I guess with young riders the actual amount of time and intensity in trainign varies widely - and you need to get a coach or learn more yourself as a parent.
2. US-based. Only relevant for about 10% of the book though. The remainder is of use to people in othr countries.

Overall, I recommend this book to new entrant families, parent and kids who are getting into racing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, November 23, 2014
a good inside guide on cycling for juniors

5.0 out of 5 stars Bike racing for juniors, January 17, 2009
Great Book! I know the two people who wrote this and my son, now a semi-pro cyclist went a camp that Steve conducted. They are the best in the business for juniors. Oh Yeah, also a great cover...my son is one of them.

Bike Racing for Juniors: A Guide for Riders, Parents, and Coaches
Bike Racing for Juniors: A Guide for Riders, Parents, and Coaches by Kristen Dieffenbach (Paperback - June 1, 2008)
$18.95 $15.45