5.0 out of 5 stars Finally - my brain explained, June 3, 2010
I am bilingual, I learned my second language as an adult. I've had lots of burning questions about my
ability to speak my first and my second language. Mr Grosjean explains it all in a book that I did not want to put down.
Reading the cover of the book I was concerned that it would be too technical, he has written a lot of technical studies. But I was happily mistaken. The book is full of anecdotes and wisdom about being bilingual and raising bilingual children as well.
Having read this book I feel better about myself and my abilities, and I feel like I found my "tribe" - other people who speak two or more languages.

here are some gems from his book:

True: it is easier to swear in your second language

False: Children raised learning more than one language get confused and don't do as well in school.

The book is full of stuff like this. I recommend it to anyone who has ever studied a second language.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on bilingualism, June 9, 2012
I'd recommend this book for teachers and others who want to know more about bilingualism. This is not a book discussing the politics of bilingualism. This is a book that looks at what it really means to be bilingual and how bilinguals and their brains actually function.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raising bilingual kids? Start with this book., December 15, 2013
Are you raising children with two or more languages? Were you raised in a bilingual environment? Are you a second language learner who is wondering what "bilingual" really means and if you will ever get there? François Grosjean's excellent book debunks many of the myths of bilingualism and gives useful and practical suggestions for multilingual families.

Grosjean's writing style is clear and engaging. The subject matter is well-organized and logical. He shares personal stories which draw in the reader while referring to current research in the field. Bilingual readers will recognize and relate to his description of real life with two or more languages. For parents trying to raise children with more than one language, this book will give them a useful guide to overcoming some of the challenges and the maximizing the blessings of the bilingual path.

I have given this book as a gift to bilingual friends, recommended it enthusiastically to participants in my family language learning workshops and even persuaded my local librarian to order a copy for our town library.

5.0 out of 5 stars I return to this book over and over, March 8, 2014
I purchased this book as a Spring Break read years ago. As a Spanish teacher, and mother hoping to raise a child bilingually, I return to this book over and over to refresh my spirit and remind myself how amazing our brains are, and how different a bilingual brain is from a monolingual brain!

4.0 out of 5 stars dual learning, January 19, 2013
Maria (Madrid Spain) - See all my reviews
It is comforting to know that learning two languages at the same time from birth does not equal late acquisition. There are so many misinformed people out there, namely monolinguals!

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of "myth busters", May 14, 2014
Much so called common knowledge about bilingualism is not based on data. Grosjean combines research and anecdotes to make a very readable volume. Part one focuses on adult experiences, part two on children.

4.0 out of 5 stars A brief and very nice read on one of the wonders of the human mind, September 15, 2013
This review is from: Bilingual: Life and Reality (Paperback)
When a retired bilingual professor who knows his field very well takes the reader on a short and friendly tour, the result is a pleasure in many aspects. For me, two major aspects of the book were its explaining and debunking of myths related to bilingualism (and never forgetting the fact that experiencing a new language means experiencing a new culture and way of thinking at the same time), as well as having a dedicated chapter on the bilingualism of children.

The readers who did not know much about bilingualism will gain a lot from this book without having forced to struggle with heavy academic linguistics terminology. Parents who are concerned about the bilingualism of their children will be relieved as Prof. Grosjean explains why many of the myths are problematic or plainly false.

From the beginning to the end, the personal tone of the book made me feel like as if I was in a conversation with an old friend who knew a lot about bilingualism and shared this, as well as his personal experiences, without never intimidating.

If you want a good, non-academic starter for all matters related bilingualism, this book is one of the few I can sincerely recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read for those who speak two languages. Eases your mind on things you might think you are doing wrong., August 21, 2013
This review is from: Bilingual: Life and Reality (Paperback)
A great book, except that I felt I needed a bit more facts and content. Felt a bit repetitive at times. I am a picky reader, though, so I might be underestimating the book's quality.

Bilingual: Life and Reality
Bilingual: Life and Reality by Francois Grosjean (Paperback - November 19, 2012)
$17.95 $13.19