5.0 out of 5 stars The quintessential Bill Cosby comedy album
Published on August 28, 2004 by Daniel Jolley

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the whole story...
I have watched the performance film version of Bill Cosby Himself
Published on February 14, 2002 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the whole story..., February 14, 2002
Amazon Customer (Norfolk, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
I have watched the performance film version of Bill Cosby Himself
many times, and the comedy never gets old. I watched it for the first time when I was seven years old, and I still love it today(I'm 25 now). That being said, the film version of these routines are far superior to the audio version. First of all, not all of the routines in the film are included on the CD(the first two--"Drinking Alcohol" and "Smoking Drugs" are missing).
Secondly, as was pointed out by another reviewer, most of the laughs heard in this production are due to Cosby's facial antics and body language. Hence, you're not going to get the full effect hearing only the monologue. Finally, a few of the routines that ARE included on the disc are not complete; they have been edited for time.
Still, one can not get around the fact that, despite the flaws, the material on this disc is HYSTERICALLY FUNNY. It is Bill Cosby in top form, and I honestly do recommend buying this CD if you've never seen these routines.

5.0 out of 5 stars The quintessential Bill Cosby comedy album, August 28, 2004
This review is from: Bill Cosby: Himself (Audio CD)
I still have vivid memories of being a kid and watching Bill Cosby do his The Dentist sketch on a show called Solid Gold. It was easily the funniest thing I had ever heard in my life, and I went around telling everyone just how hilarious Bill Cosby was. At the time, I only knew Cosby from his Picture Pages segments on Captain Kangaroo and the Fat Albert cartoons, and I actually felt like some type of visionary when a little television vehicle called The Cosby Show debuted soon thereafter based to a large degree on the comedy you will find on this album (and the longer video from which these tracks were taken). A few of the skits in this performance were translated almost directly to the screen in the show's first few episodes.

Bill Cosby, Himself video is hilarious; I still laugh every time I listen to it, no matter how many times I've heard the routines. There was a time when I practically had The Dentist memorized. Cosby's humor resonates so well with audiences because he is describing and joking about things we all know and understand to some degree. He doesn't need to use foul language or tell dirty jokes in order to reach his audience. He just comes in and starts talking about the humorous things in life.

The comic material on Bill Cosby, Himself, deals primarily with family life - marriage, children, etc. He makes the birth of his first child a hilarious journey into the delivery room, explains that parents lose a lot of their intellect as they age because of the frustrating brain damage that afflicts all of their children, explains how differently his parents treat his own children compared to the way they treated him, and describes quite vividly some of the antics of his own five children over the years.

Bill Cosby knows people, and he knows what will make them laugh; he is also one of the greatest storytellers in the world. He is at his funniest here, and I really can't imagine there is anyone out there who would not enjoy listening to Bill Cosby, Himself. If you loved The Cosby Show, you will definitely love this album.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why?, October 21, 2002
This review is from: Bill Cosby: Himself (Audio CD)
I caught this performance on tv a little over 20 years ago and was pleased to find that it had been released on cd. It is disappointing.
WHY WAS SO MUCH OF THIS GREAT PERFORMANCE CUT OUT OF THE CD? AND WHO'S IDEA WAS IT?
They should be ashamed of themselves.
Get the video instead. For those of us who want to listen to BILL COSBY "HIMSELF" on long car trips, alas, (sigh), we shall have to wait for someone to release an uncut version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny as Himself, June 8, 2002
This review is from: Bill Cosby: Himself (Audio CD)
"Bill Cosby, Himself" is one of those CDs worth listening to a dozen times. Each time I listen to it, my gut hurts from laughing so hard and so often. Like the video version, Cosby draws you into his world, which is just like your world.
Clean, yet frank, Cosby found a niche of family-humor that not only resonates across races and ages, but is able to be watched with your youngest ones without having to explain (or trying not to explain!) awkward sexual humor.
The insight Cosby brings to the mike is profound and subtle. He'll force you to consider your own childhood and laugh, realizing his dad and your dad are similar, and that he has turned into his dad. That, of course, might involve "B-raaain damage."
The curse, as he would say, to have childhood, will get you eventually. Then you'll pull your hair out too.
I fully recommend "Bill Cosby, Himself."
Anthony Trendl

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Cos, August 5, 1997
This review is from: Bill Cosby: Himself (Audio CD)
If you were to only listen to one Bill Cosby concert, this should be the one. He, in the Cosby way, comments about a variety of subjects ranging from getting drunk to raising children. Taken from a Canadian concert in the early 80's, this highlights Cosby's extensive career in comedy. A must have for any fan of Cosby or comedy. END

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks heavens for Bill Cosby, March 4, 2002
This review is from: Bill Cosby: Himself (Audio CD)
GOD, the first words and I'm back in my parents old minivan cruising the eastern seaboard. This is THE ONLY tape my entire family would ever agree to listen to in the car. After owning it for a year, it self-destructed from over use. I've been trying to replace it ever since. I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone searching for a compromise between "barney" and whatever the parents are requesting. without this tape, I think it would've been my family self-destructing!

4.0 out of 5 stars The following album has been rated EF (Extremely Funny)., October 4, 1998
This review is from: Bill Cosby: Himself (Audio CD)
This is a good album, but it is not perfect, if it only had the "Why do people do this to themselves?" sketch, then it would be perfect. With that out of the way, this album is an abosolute classic, by far the best track is "The Dentist" (you will laugh extremely hard when you hear it). If you like the album, you should see the movie! Laugh riot!

5.0 out of 5 stars 3rd generation now laughing, July 30, 2005
This review is from: Bill Cosby: Himself (Audio CD)
My brother and I used to listen to Bill Cosby records on our partents' Hi-Fi, and we laughed til we cried. When I talk with my own kids I often make references to "Brain Damage" or "The Chicken Heart" or "Lombard Street", and they don't know what I'm talking about...you know the weird look they give you, "whatever mom". So I bought the CDs of all of Cosby's early skits and now THEY'RE quoting "Noah" and singing their own go-cart songs. In a time when I have to check every video game, CD and book for parental warning lables, these CDs present a wonderful opportunity for me to connect with my kids in a family friendly environment. The topics are as fresh and timely as they were in the 60's and I can count on Bill to keep it rated G. I recommend you purchase a couple or all of the CDs and have a good laugh with a generation that doesn't even know what a record is. Have fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic!, April 18, 2000
Amazon Customer (Benton, Arkansas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bill Cosby: Himself (Audio CD)
My roommate and I worn our copy of this cassette out in college! We're 35 years old now, and still if one of us says "choc'lat cake behind you" we just bust out laughing. I am thrilled that it's still available - it's a must for every comedy fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an unpresidented classic. No other comes close., November 4, 1998
This review is from: Bill Cosby: Himself (Audio CD)
There is not one story that I did not enjoy on this CD, nor did I find offensive. It helps to bring my spirit up when I find myself down. It's just too funny. END

Bill Cosby: Himself
Bill Cosby: Himself by Bill Cosby (Audio CD - 1990)
Rate and Discover Movies