Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS Truck Month

80%
20%

TOP 50 REVIEWERon October 5, 2010
It's PBS. It's learning. Enjoyable. Sophisticated topics and conversation, but a vocabulary level understandable to most. Noted writers openly sharing their faith without preaching or demanding to be followed in their choice concerning faith (if they have one.) Some opinions you may relate to while others you will question. Each segment encounter will generate your own questions. My wife and I both would ask them aloud, as though the TV images could respond. It's that engaging.

SDH SUBTITLES provided in all 7 episodes. Episodes 2 to 6 comprises two separate ½ hr discussions with different authors. Episode 1 and 7 each are about an hour and consist of only one interviewee. Text biographies are provided for each person Moyers talks with. Also a booklet gives episode summaries/self-questions, an explanation of PEN, statistical charts, and a multi-page explanation of `fundamentalism.'

Episode1: Salman Rushdie (India, atheist, PEN American Center Pres, author) religion & its political force
Episode 2: Mary Gordon (NYC, Catholic, author) modern martyrdom
............ Colin McGinn (UK, atheist, philosopher) Catholic turned atheist; reason not faith
Episode 3: Jeanette Winterson (UK, Pentecostal childhood, author) myth heros
............ Will Power (USA, playwright & rapper) hip-hop `flips' old to new relevance
Episode 4: Anne Provoost (Belgian, children's writer) view the Ark as seen by the drowning
............ David Grossman (Israel, Jewish, author) Samson and being `chosen people'
Episode 5: Richard Rodriguez (Mex/Amer, Catholic, author) peace facing death by prayer
............ Sir John Houghton (Wales, Evangelical, scientist) at peace with doubt and belief. His was my favorite line from the series: "I don't know." He must answer sometimes both as a believer and a scientist.
Episode 6: Margaret Atwood (Canada) & Martin Amis (UK), both agnostics, both write of fundamentalism without a personal faith. They are true fictionalists.
Episode 7: Pema Chodron (USA, Buddhist nun, author) calm mind; warm heart (Grace?)

An educational event for the lay person as well as those aspiring to higher levels. Non-threatening, enlightening.
on March 10, 2011
Highly recommend for viewing singularly or in groups with discussion and contemplation.

I love Bill Moyers and was recently very excited when Amazon had his Power of Myth series with Joseph Campbell newest release at a Great Price. Then when I saw this newer series with Bill Moyers entitled "Faith and Reason" at a great price, I ordered it and just received it and immediately started watching it. So far, it is mesmerizing. Bill Moyers is one of our greatest Journalist and his interviews seem effortless. However, he is very knowledgeable and this can be seen in his questions and interplay with the person being interviewed.

It is a must have "collectable" series at an extraordinary price. I was a University Administrator when educational media like this came out much more expensively than they are available now. This series is easily watched over and over again through the years. With each watch, new insights and thoughts will be very stimulating. Such is the pursuit of knowledge and ideas and the many rewards of being able to think and express as human beings. Very inspirational and reminder of our precious gifts of life and miraculous bodies including the Marvelous Brain. Please don't be afraid to exercise your body and mind regularly. The rewards are EXTRAORDINARY.

This series furthers understanding of our worldwide "connectedness" which is crucial to have compassion as our daily focus. May we all continue to feel and practice daily compassion with loving/kindness. Series like this one help shed light on ideas to expand worldwide needed awareness.
on January 2, 2013
Hoo rah for Bill Moyer

His video CDs and DVDs are worth every penny. I wanted his Faith and Reason when it was first released some years ago but at $140.00 or so it was more than I wanted to pay. At its lower price I jumped at the chance. This release covers some religions without the holy-holy arm waving of many such talks. Try it. Share it with your family and friends. Little to no proselytizing.
on February 4, 2016
Magnificent series !
on March 12, 2014
We haven't finished watching it yet. I purchased it for a friend in a nursing home that appreciates mental stimulation, likes discussions. So far it is very interesting, we are on the second of three discs. He fatigues easily so we watch a little at a time.
I am impressed with the diversity of people Moyers is interviewing. So far he has lengthy discussions with one person at a time.
The one thing I miss so far is an interviewee who has a deep abiding relationship with God.