Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 16, 2012 5:15:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2012 7:14:01 AM PDT
For long time fans, and I mean long time!, of this fictional couple, I thought that they, at last!, deserved their own thread. I hope this does not diverge into another discussion in the suitor war. Regardless, I have loved this couple from DUD forward, and have never stopped hoping for a reunion between them. They have many, many vocal naysayers. I am not one of them! Why? BC CH has crafted their evolving relationship with an expert and subtle hand. Blink, and as a reader you might miss it. But don't! It's just too good to miss.

It, being the love and respect that's still there between these two characters. I don't know if it will happen, only the author knows that, but thanks to the jewel-like clues, Bill's words to her, and Sookie's continuing thoughts about Bill, both sprinkled throughout this ongoing series, I believe they will.

One of the most smallest, but WOW, significant moments in DR?

When Sookie thought this:

DR.... "WE both knew that Eric loved power."

WE....such a small word, blink, and you'll miss it's important meaning. In her mind, her subconscious she links Bill and herself together...WE...yep, hope does spring eternal!

So, what specific moments in this series made you stop, and think, hmmmmmm..... Maybe Bill and Sookie DO still have a chance.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 5:38:34 AM PDT
Ann Anderson says:
While new to this forum, I'm certainly not new to the SVM... Bill has never been completely out of Sookie's life or thoughts from chapter 1 of DUD to the end of DR.. and now, he will take a more active role in Sookie's life once again...

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 6:16:23 AM PDT
Ann....Can't wait to see Bill and Sookie working together in DL.

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 6:35:05 AM PDT
Becky says:
I'm also really looking forward to seeing more of Bill and Sookie interacting in DL. I hope they're working their way back to each other. Not sure if that is where CH is headed, but one can make a good argument that is the direction the series may be going toward!

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 9:54:45 AM PDT
Great thread, Willa!

Whether CH pairs them in the end, Bill and Sookie will always be the couple that defines SVM to me. They learned from each other. Sookie found joy and the pitfalls of falling in love with a vampire. Bill reconnected with a part of himself that was lost. Bill made mistakes, but as the novels wind up, Bill is actively trying to be a better man for Sookie's sake.

CH allowed us to think the worst of Bill, but she's interspersed little clues about his true nature through out the novels. As she's pulled back the curtain on her universe, Bill's actions and his character have been gradually cast in a different light. Her intention may be to redeem Bill and leave him as Sookie's friend at the end of the story. Or, as CH said, "maybe he's a viable suitor again." Well, a girl can hope, right? :-)

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 10:30:00 AM PDT
Cynthia Cole says:
True CP and Bill allowed Sookie to think the worst of him too. For a long time I remember thinking after CD how out of( what I had perceived ) Bill's character, his actions were. Now in light of later books I see that the first impression was right. Not to say he didn't make big ol mistakes ......but he doesn't seem to be the devious character he was made out to be. I really hope S/B are in a good place (and I think they will be) at the end of the novels

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 10:42:50 AM PDT
I hope Sookie and Bill are in a good place at the end of the novels, too, CC. Sookie certainly realized she had "good friends" when Bill volunteered to keep a look out after Sandra escaped custody.

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 12:18:33 PM PDT
Cynthia Cole says:
Bill may not be the one most likely to end up with Sookie but he is my personal favorite suitor. The reason for this is simple. He makes her smile. She was giggling in the hidey hole. When is the last time we had seen her so light hearted?They were having quite a good time teasing each other. There were a few times in DR Sookie mentions hiding or trying to surpress her smile. Sookie is a lucky girl in that she does seem to have some very good friends. Who knows what the future hold (except CH lol).

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 12:57:26 PM PDT
I want them to be together because I feel the emotional connection between them, even when Sookie is spitting nails angry at him and Bill is haplessly trying to figure out what she wants.

Sookie had a good support person in him to guide her as she ventured into the supernatural world. I think he tried to do what he could to protect her, but circumstances, like the FoTS in LDiD, sometimes took over. When Lorena snatched Bill away, it seemed like Sookie fell into the fire. She's been navigating without a compass. Eric loves her, but he doesn't seem to offer her much advice. What he's done to "protect" her, like the BB and the marriage, haven't provided much protection. And now that the BB is severed, Eric seems to be getting more unemotional again.

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 1:46:56 PM PDT
DITF......
"I was busting-at-the-seams proud of Bill. It was easy to see where Caroline Bellefleur had gotten her graciousness.
Andy said, "I wouldn't have taken the money if I'd known it came from you. " He'd evidently come straight from work, because he was wearing all his gear: a badge and handcuffs clipped to his belt, a holstered gun. He looked pretty formidable, but he was no match for Bill, even as sick as Bill was. "Andy, I know you're not a fan of the fang. But you're part of my family, and I know you were raised to respect your elders." Andy looked completely taken aback.
"That money was to make Caroline happy, and I think it did, " Bill continued. "So it served its purpose. I've gotten to see her and to tell her about our relationship, and she has the Bible. I won't burden you with my presence any longer. I would ask that you have the funeral at night so I can attend. "

We learn a lot about how Sookie is feeling about Bill in this scene from DITF. She's "busting at the seems proud"! of him now, that he helped his descendents, she infers that Bill is gracious, like Caroline, she thinks even sick as a dog Bill looks more "formidable", than even Andy decked out in his cop gear! ( Sookie...checking Bill out surreptitiously?? LOL) Even though Bill knows Andy is uncomfortable around him, he thanks him for allowing him to not only provide financial support, but to see Caroline, and tells him he wants to attend her human funeral. Bill understands and respects human tradition. Yep, Bill is pretty at ease and respectful of humans these days!

Hey Catherine and CC!

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 2:09:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2012 4:59:00 PM PDT
CD...."I took two steps closer to Bill. I knew when he smelled me, realized it was me. His head snapped up and his eyes blazed at me. A terrible hope shone on his filthy face."

CD..."Understand, babe?" Bill's dark head moved a fraction of an inch."

CD..."She had dried blood on her hands, and I KNEW IT WAS BILL'S. A FLAME STARTED UP INSIDE ME. I could feel it flicker through my eyes. "You must be his little human bitch whore, " she said. "He was f#&*ing me, all this time, you understand. The minute he saw me, he forgot about you, except for pity. " Well, Lorena wasn't elegant, but she knew where to sink the verbal knife. I batted the words aside, because SHE WANTED TO DISTRACT ME."

All these quotes are emotional, the first shows how close they were, the second, she calls him "Babe", don't recall her calling any of her other suitors that, and then third; I noticed that Sookie thinks initially that Lorena said what she said to DISTRACT her, to upset her, and that is something I have always considered. Did Lorena LIE TO SOOKIE to upset her, shock her, to throw her off fast? So that Sookie couldn't fight, or wouldn't fight? "SHE KNEW WHERE TO SINK THE VERBAL KNIFE." Calculated to devastate Sookie. Calculated to hit where it would wound her as a woman the most? Sounds as if L was a bit jealous of a mere human. Ummmm I wonder... it didn't work, bc Sookie was strong, but it sure made Sookie primed to hate Bill even more later, true... or not.

The real question for me, did Lorena lie in that moment? Or not? IDK.

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 2:17:38 PM PDT
Cynthia Cole says:
I don't know either Willa, she could have been lying or not either way we know that it wasn't as though Bill just up and left Sookie.....like we we were lead to believe. Lorena seemed very schooled in exactly what would get a reaction out of Sookie. Cheers to our girl for not taking the bait and placing the stake right where it belonged lol

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 3:07:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2012 4:56:23 PM PDT
CD....."he forgot about you, except for pity"......this part is a lie...we know that now.

Then later in the apartment, Bill's reaction when he believes she slept with Alcide: "Suddenly every line in Bill's body became tense, as if someone had jammed Bill's finger in an electric socket. Eric's jaw dropped and he looked at me with an unreadable expression. There was the unmistakable sound of a slap--even I could hear it--from the next room. "Leave us for a moment, " Bill said to Eric. I didn't like the sound of his voice."

I have to wonder, why would a smart, recently having slept with Lorena, a recently faithless, cheating dog like Bill! lol react so strongly to the supposed news that Sookie had cheated on HIM too? Seems strange, would he really have the right to be mad, the nerve to be mad at HER? To me, he reacted like an affronted jealous faithful lover, not a cheating lying SOB!

Then later this:..... "And they told you ... ?" "That you were planning on leaving me. Yes. They told me.

Why was Bill questioning what they had told her? He pauses, hesitates, and she jumps in with their version of the "truth".
Something was off, or missing....IDK what, but the entire scenario is incomplete.

Yep, CC something is missing here.

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 4:21:02 PM PDT
vblood says:
Love this thread!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 4:30:13 PM PDT
Ann Anderson says:
Wow, Willa.. Reading your posts I feel like I need to go back over all the SVM... I feel like I've missed so much..

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 4:05:37 AM PDT
DITF....."His deep brown eyes were fixed on me with the total attention that had played a large part in attracting me to him when we'd met."

This is what differentiates Bill from the rest, when he looks at her, he concentrates solely on her. And this is exactly why he understands her as well as he does, he wants to understand her, and ultimately please her. And she does understand that he does...now. Until she lost that intense focus of her partner, having no one to compare Bill to, she didn't understand what was so special about Bill. (She doesn't have that now, for sure.)

Sookie admits that his intent focus on her was powerfully appealing. I bet! You might describe this as putting her first, paying attention to her and only her.

LDID......... While we were waiting, Bill sat down in the chair next to me. He reached over and took my hand. I found it very comforting, and loved Bill for it...
LDID...... Without looking, I knew Bill was standing against the wall, ready for anything...
LDID...... As if he knew I'd been thinking of him, I felt Bill's hand on my shoulder. I put my own over it, wishing I could give him a full-length hug...

DAG....Bill and I were side by side, and then he slowly and deliberately STEPPED IN FRONT OF ME. Bill threw his knife at the next fairy through the door, and the point went right into the fairy's throat. Bill reached back and took my grandmother's trowel...

FDTW .... When I glanced back up, Bill's dark EYES WERE FIXED ON ME. "I would give anything to lie with you again," He said.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 4:51:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 17, 2012 4:51:53 PM PDT
OMYGOSH i am so glad the girls told me about this place....some of those quotes just made me cry...i feel so stupid that the lines from books i have read so many times brought tears to my eyes! I have so many times felt that i invested too much of my self in this fictional story but those quotes make me realize that "no, it was not a waste. it reminds me of my lover, my own husband, in Bill's actions in a fictional story." there are men out there that do these things, that love like this.

CH sure knows how to get a girl's heart completely head over heels in love with a man. she must be very happy with her own husband: she knows what a true lover is!

BTW: I am boobear!

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 5:07:59 PM PDT
Ann Anderson says:
The hospital scene in DAG always makes me cry.. I tear up thinking about it..

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 5:16:12 PM PDT
is that when Sookie thinks to herself " and i loved him all over again..." ?

that's the one line that tells me she has always loved him and will, sooner or later, come full circle right back to Bill..

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 5:20:06 PM PDT
Ann Anderson says:
Yeah, that's the one.. But what makes me cry is when Bill says, "I have always loved you.. It will be an honor to die in your service. When I am gone, pray for me in a real church..."

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 5:49:24 PM PDT
I love the hospital scene, too.

What impresses me is the fear and devastation Sookie feels at the thought that Bill could be dying. She expressed it as her heart falling through the bed, if I recall correctly. Faced with nitty-gritty reality Sookie acknowledges her true feelings about Bill.

After the fact, PTSD Sookie is once again in denial and avoiding Bill until Sam encourages her to visit Bill. She rationalizes all over the place about Bill occupying a "corner of her heart" and how staking Lorena, ipso facto, makes her responsible for Bill's recovery. But, here's the moment of truth:
"'You're going to live, right?' I asked him, suddenly frightened." (DiTF, p. 33)

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 6:14:53 PM PDT
DAAD..... PG 190-193...'Sookie,' said a quiet familiar voice. It was cool and dark, like water running in a stream on a moonless night. 'Bill,' I said, feeling happy and safe. 'Don't go.' 'I'll be right here.' And he was there, reading in a chair by my bed when I woke up at three in the morning...'how are you feeling?' he asked.

"Is it unreasonable to hope that we'll be together again?"
"I don't know if we can ever have the same relationship again," I said. "It might be possible, when I'm a little less raw from the pain of it. But I'm glad you're here tonight, and I wish you would lie down with me for a little while...if you want to."

I moved over on the narrow bed and turned on my right side, so the wounded shoulder was up. Bill lay down behind me and put his arm around me. No one could approach me without him knowing. I felt perfectly safe, absolutely safe, and cherished. "I'm so glad you're here...

Yep, nothing like imminent death to shake things up. I really think that until Bill's serious illness she assumed she'd have all the time in the world to address her true, persistent feelings for Bill.

Hi new Bill fans! Welcome!

Hey Catherine!

Ann...What's so interesting about Bill's comment about her praying for him is that he's sure come full circle in his feelings for Sookie, from initially disdaining any association with a human, to being willing to die for her. Yeah, how can she not love Bill?

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 6:36:09 PM PDT
Hey back at you, Willa!

That's right, didn't Bill ask Sookie to pray for him in a human church?

He has many moments in the books when he reaches to his humanity. Another favorite scene of my is Bill's finger tracing over his family timeline in the bible. He provided for his descendants, the Bellefleurs. He met Caroline Bellefleur and gave her the bible. He attended her funeral. He was a guest at the Bellefleur double wedding.

And humans seem to reach back to Bill. They were greeting him and calling him Vampire Bill when he visited Sookie at Merlotte's early in LDiD. Andy and Halleigh are naming their daughter Caroline Compton Bellefleur. Tara named her twin girl Sara Sookie in IIHAH, and I think that may be a nod to Bill because his daughter's name was Sarah.

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 6:47:17 PM PDT
Yep...The pray for him line was in DAG.

It just seems that Bill has slowly worked his way back to his human neighbors and he likes it, and he likes them! Even in the e-mails from SSC, he specifically tells Eric "as my human neighbors say" What goes around.....CH seem to slip the word human in, especially about Bill. He walked away "human slow", I think in FDTW.

OHHHH....Wouldn't it be great if Bill could spend time with a human baby, his ancestors namesake?
That would be fun.

And yes.....That scene in LDID? With the Bible, it's my very favorite, in the entire series.

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 7:07:46 PM PDT
Me, too. :-)

See, that's the thing about Bill, I can relate to him on a human level. I can feel the pain of what he lost when he was turned. I can understand his fallibility.

Sookie wasn't scared of Bill except in the graveyard scene when he got really primal. She related to him on a human level from the start, and he had to remind her that he no longer thought like a human. But, then, in turn, Sookie brought out some of his humanity. "The good you do is inside you."
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 135 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  49
Total posts:  3356
Initial post:  Mar 16, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 12)
Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 12) by Charlaine Harris (Hardcover - May 1, 2012)
3.5 out of 5 stars (1,819)