Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

Billboard #1s: The '70s is a two CD set that is jammed full of great songs representing some of the very best music from the 1970s. This is bound to bring back memories of hanging out in clubs and discos; and younger people may well listen to this and find out that we had some really awesome music back in the day! The sound quality on both CDs is excellent; and I like the artwork, too.

The Doobie Brothers begin the first CD with their smash hit entitled "What A Fool Believes." They sing and play this to perfection; and I love the sound and the beat. The key modulations work well and they never miss a beat! This is classic `70s dancing music, too. Elton John's "Crocodile Rock" rocks harder than just about anything I've ever heard; and Elton never sounded better! The musical arrangement is very strong on "Crocodile Rock" and the special musical effects work very well. Listen also for Carly Simon to perform her instant classic "You're So Vain." I remember when this song broke loose on the airwaves; it sounded fantastic then and it still does now.

Dionne Warwick and The Spinners perform "Then Came You" with heart and soul; they sing this well and the disco dancing sound stuns me even today. Johnny Nash's "I Can See Clearly Now" remains a solid hit that still sounds so smooth in these times; and the beat is nicely marked by the percussion. The first CD ends masterfully with B. J. Thomas doing "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head." This lovely song is another stunning ballad that could never be forgotten.

The second CD continues the hits. Donna Summer's "Bad Girls" really has that disco sound and it will still make you want to jump up and dance wherever you are; and Earth, Wind & Fire do their funky "Shining Star" so well that I could never forget this tune either. "Shining Star" has great guitar and the percussion works very well on this number. Earth, Wind & Fire never sing a superfluous note--it's all THAT good.

Diana Ross's touching "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" always pulls at my heartstrings; the female backup and the tambourine are as flawless as they always were when Diana Ross recorded a song. Chicago performs "If You Leave Me Now;" this touching ballad is about a man asking his woman to stay with him so they can continue their love affair. Chicago sings this beautifully with panache and great sensitivity; and this impresses me a great deal.

Listen for The O'Jays doing their disco flavored hit "Love Train;" and The Commodores score big with "Three Times A Lady," one of the most elegant love ballads I've ever heard. Nilsson registers big with "Without You;" this mournful ballad has an orchestration that always moves me. Moreover, Leo Sayer's "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" really DOES make you feel like dancing! I remember a waitress in the town diner where I grew up who loved this song so much that she'd have to try hard not to dance her way back and forth between the kitchen when the jukeboxes played this tune!

Overall, this is one OUTSTANDING two CD set to remember and celebrate the really great music of the `70s. Of course, two CDs could never be truly enough to include everything; but as a two CD set this reigns supreme in my book.
33 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 26, 2012
First. I sure do not love -- or even like -- all of these songs. Gawd. Lots of disco represented here, just other things that don't much blow my skirt up, as it were.

But I know every song on this collection, it really is like a time machine for me, and bittersweet, too, good memories but definitely mixed in with other experiences.

But the magic of music seems to be that it takes me right back there, in feelings, too. Good and bad feelings from then but the bad has faded off mostly, seen from a perspective of decades off, I have clearer vision, not clouded by the immediacy of the situations, either, which also helps distance.

Yet even with the distance and clarity, the songs still make it through, loud and clear; I'll skip past the ones that I don't like but even hearing the intro to them takes me to a time -- I didn't like the songs then, either.

Any old ways, I'm real glad to have this collection. It's a time machine.
The music of the 1970's brought out so many elements to all occasions. While there aren't a lot of people in this generation who are more interested in acts like Britney Spears or Jennifer Lopez, that've heard some of the great songs of that era yet, they should consider hearing what've missed. The era brought so many aspects of life from Disco and Motown, to rock groups like Chicago, the party group Kiss and Styx. Still, there just haven't been many definitive hits packages reflecting the 70's well-enough. Billboard has decided to take that in step, and tackle the me decade into one nice package.

Billboard #1's: The 70's is a double-album reflection of the best music of the 70's. The collection does a much better job at reflecting the best music from that decade, than their previous Billboard #1's: The 80's did. The songs here sound great, and bring a little bit of each element from that decade nicely compiled from songs by Elton John and Crocodile Rock, Donna Summer's bass driven Disco classic Hot Stuff, to rock classics like Hall & Oates classic Rich Girl and Styx's classic rock ballad Babe. The collection brightly showcases these tracks well. Sadly, the album still overlooks some great songs like Gloria Gaynor's I Will Survive, and the Bee Gees Saturday Night Fever gem Stayin' Alive.

Despite a few overshadowings, Billboard #1's: The 70's really does a great job in bringing some of the most influential and delightful pop gems in a convient double album. If you haven't owned a 70's compilation yet, than this is the right one to get down and shake your booty with, right on!

Album Cover: B+

Songs: B 1/2-

Price: B

Remastering: B+

Overall: B
on February 23, 2013
I close my eyes - I sing along and for a moment I go back. To a time when I was young and so full of it. The sound is clear and well recorded. I recommend this to all that look back at the 70's and still smile.
on September 29, 2012
I am 71 years old and this is the type of music I have always enjoyed. My sons (all in their late 40's) refer to the music I enjoy as "elevator music". Maybe so, but I will continue to enjoy this CD for quite some time.
on March 2, 2015
I have to wonder about those who say they really didn't find much they liked on this CD. Don't you look at the list of songs before you buy? As for me, many old friends came home with this MP3. My collection focuses mostly on the 60s and that began making me wonder where I had been in the 70s and 80s, that I didn't remember any music from those eras. I started moseying about and found this collection and was happy to realize that I had not been in a coma or kidnapped by aliens or anything like that; I did recognize all of these songs, so I must have just focused my collection too much on the 60s and not enough on other eras. Buy this. It's got great music on it. Honest. Just read the list of songs on it and you'll agree, if you were conscious during the 70's.
on May 26, 2014
I was looking for some 70's hits to listen to in the car on long road trips. The cd was good but I realized that I like disco a lot and this did not have a lot of disco on it. It was a good album but not exactly what I was looking for.
on March 12, 2011
I bought this CD set as a Christmas gift for my mom, who grew up in the 70's. As soon as she opened it, she couldn't wait to put it on and play all the songs she remembered listening to as a kid. Soon enough, everyone at our Christmas party was having so much fun listening to these classic songs, and reminiscing. There is a good mixture of genres, and the recording quality is excellent. All the songs are sung by the artists you recognize, and not some off the wall covers of the oldies you remember. This is the real deal!

These are songs to feel good to!
on October 14, 2012
I have really enjoyed this collection of music from the 70's. I met my wife in the early 70's and quite a few of these tunes bring back great memories. My wife is still with me and she like the music, too!
on May 1, 2013
Billboard releases really good compilations of the decades. I recently bought their #1 80s collection and feel the same about that decade. These collections are straightforward; it's a mix of #1 hits from the Billboard charts. If they were popular back then, they're here. Actually, from the Billboard collections I've perused, this one best defines it's decade. Perhaps I'm harsher on later collections since I remember much more of them through living (I was born in '77) but I really can't think of anything more listeners would need for an amazing collection of disco/singer-songwriter era music. Any I can think of to add are more 60s artists, better defined in that era instead. Still, Billboard puts out good collections. It's a simple solution but it works: if it went to #1 you'll find it here.