4.0 out of 5 stars A Goldmine
Published on December 26, 2001 by George

3.0 out of 5 stars Just the bare basics.
Having bought several other books published by Billboard and Whitburn over the years I ordered this one and awaited its arrival with high expectations. I am sad to report that having now spent a few days going thru it I caution anyone thinking about buying it to be prepared to be somewhat disappointed.

All you get here are reprints of Billboards Hot 100 charts...
Published on July 6, 2006 by Walter Sobchak Esq.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Goldmine, December 26, 2001
George (Arlington, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Billboard Hot 100 Charts - The Sixties (Hardcover)
It was fascinating to go throught this book chart by chart and almost relive the 60s by following the rise and fall of singles. With this book, and the music samples available on Amazon for most of the CD's it sells, I have been able to go on a magical journey of discovery. I have been able to listen to the vast majority of the singles that hit the top 40 in the 60s after the British Invasion. The book is well worth the rather exorbitant price.
That being said, for a book this expensive, one would think it would have been prepared with more care. The reduction in size from that of Billboard Magazine makes the charts hard to read at best. Worse, many of the charts were reproduced in a shoddy fashion, making the group names almost illegible at times. And there is no interpretive material. For instance, it would have been interesting to read essays on the history of Top 100 chart, how it was compiled, its importance to the recording and radio industries, and on how successful a single had to be to get on the chart (how many singles were issued at any one time -- 200?, 500? 1,000?).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reference Book, December 25, 2002
Robert Weingartner (Staten Island, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Billboard Hot 100 Charts - The Sixties (Hardcover)
This book was a dream for me. I constantly refer to this book while doing research on The Rolling Stones chart positions in the Sixties. Of course it can be used for just general research, or for a particular artist. It tracks the Top 100 singles and how they charted week by week. The charts eventually expanded beyond the Top 100 during the decade. You see how each song climbs to its peak position and then declines off the charts. I felt like I was going back in time and watching the weekly charts myself during a decade which I was way too young to remember. A great book I highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Compilation Of The Billboard Hot 100 Radio Charts From The Sixties, December 15, 2008
This review is from: Billboard Hot 100 Charts - The Sixties (Hardcover)
One of the many jobs I've had over my life was just out of college in radio. I worked for six years as an on air personality, a news director, music director and in other capacities. And of course, Billboard Magazine was one of the many references we used to help determine what our playlists were.

Joel Whitburn's passion for music is legend. And his hobby of collecting singles, albums and CDs is how he has turned that hobby into an enterprise. It started with his card cataloging his collection according to the Billboard charts. Years later, he has not only published the Billboard charts in book form but is a writer for Billboard.

The Billboard Hot 100 Charts - The Sixties is just that, a compilation of the "actual" charts as published in Billboard Magazine in the sixties. Now Whitburn's company Record Research has published 100 books on music, groups and charts, all of them different with different features. Some reviewers here have missed the point that all of these books have different content and features and must be taken singularly, not as a template of what each book will be.

The following is quoted under Fair Use law for published reviews.

Stated plainly on the back of the Sixties chart book we read this:

"Billboard Hot 100 Charts - The Sixties is a one-of-a-kind collection of 520 actual 'Hot 100' charts reproduced exactly as they appeared in the original issues of Billboard. This convenient and comprehensive volume puts the most diverse decade in Pop music history right at your fingertips."

And from the author's opening notes inside (edited):

"After searching the country for perfect condition back issues of Billboard to compliment my Record Research library, I put together a pristine collection of Hot 100s for our readers.

We left the charts exactly as they were...we did not correct any of the chart's original typesetting errors.

I found this to be a fascinating book to put together. Without lengthy narratives or critical commentaries, 520 actual Hot 100 charts tell the story of one of the most exciting eras in American popular music as it has never been told.

Joel Whitburn"

So it is plain that the intent of the author was to present only the charts as they appeared in Billboard, without commentary or embellishment. He has released many other books since where he has indeed included background on groups and their music and other features.

Also, a couple of reviewers complained about the size. The original Billboard magazine of the sixties was a quite large soft cover magazine and the charts covered the whole page. It would have been cost prohibitive to try to reproduce those in their original size, especially in a hard backed book. These books are already costly due to the licensing that Record Research must pay to use the charts and information from Billboard.

So I basically just want to tell these couple of people to stop whinning. This is a fabulous collection of charts, well worth the price and will not only bring back incredible memories of the songs that were playing on the radio during any particular week of the 1960s, but you'll see and remember songs and artists that you liked which are not played on any oldies station and haven't been reissued in most oldies CD collections.

I can highly recommend Joel Whiburn's Billboard Hot 100 Charts - The Sixties to that die-hard sixties music fan who wants to look back and see what was playing during the different eras of their life. Just be aware that you are buying a book of charts only. You have to provide the memories.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just the bare basics., July 6, 2006
Walter Sobchak Esq. "Walt" (Cameron Park , CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Billboard Hot 100 Charts - The Sixties (Hardcover)

All you get here are reprints of Billboards Hot 100 charts from the 60's and an alphabetical listing of the songs in the rear of the book. A little historical analysis and perhaps an alphabetical ARTIST listing would have made this a much better read. Don't get me wrong, it is indeed a complete and valuable research tool for aging boomers with too much time on their hands. Alas, a few "Value Added" perks would have made it a much more pleasurable reading experience and perhaps made the price a little easier to accept.

Final analysis: A vastly over-priced, needlessly clinical research tool that could and should have been so much more.

5.0 out of 5 stars A memorable decade for music, September 30, 2007
Scott N. Burton (Bridgeport,CT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Billboard Hot 100 Charts - The Sixties (Hardcover)
The 60's marked a turning point as far as music is concerned-In January 1964,four young men from Liverpool,England set out to make history-I'm referring to The Beatles of course-Joel Whitburn's book clearly shows the 60's was an electic decade for music-You had Motown,the British Invasion,Phil Spector's "wall of sound" hits,surf music (Jan & Dean,The Ventures,Beach Boys) to name just a few-Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BOOK! WATCH YOUR FAVORITE SONGS OF THAT ERA RISE UP THE CHARTS, WEEK AFTER WEEK;, March 14, 2013
This review is from: Billboard Hot 100 Charts - The Sixties (Hardcover)
Would have given it 5 big stars if they would have found a way to improve on the print.. to small and on some years a little light on the print(should be darker print) making it a bit hard to read. They charge enough for the book! No excuse for not improving on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Book, January 9, 2007
This review is from: Billboard Hot 100 Charts - The Sixties (Hardcover)
Talk about a walk down memory lane! Every song that I heard growing up and how it got to its ranking on the charts. If you love the music of the 60's I can't thing of a better reference for the songs and artists!

4.0 out of 5 stars Billboard Hot 100 Charts The Sixties 2010 Edition, December 20, 2010
This review is from: Billboard Hot 100 Charts - The Sixties (Hardcover)
This new edition is a mixed blessing. If your looking for just the charts and not much more, this is it. Before ordering I was aware that the charts were 70% of their original size. What I didn't realize was that I would need a magnifying glass to read the artists names. Yes the printing is that small. I wear corrective lenses that give me 20/20 vision so that's not the problem. No problem reading the song titles. What does make this book interesting is that you can pick out your favorite tunes and follow their chart life from week to week. There is aproximately a 3/4" white border surrounding each chart. I wish this space could have been used to make the charts a little larger. For $79.99 you can't really go wrong considering the internet prices elseware. This can be ordered directly from recordresearch.com.

3.0 out of 5 stars good informatiom but too small to read, March 27, 2014
This review is from: Billboard Hot 100 Charts - The Sixties (Hardcover)
I also have the 70's book which is larger with larger print. This book has all the info I wanted but I need a magnifying glass to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The 60's Live On!, November 2, 2013
This review is from: Billboard Hot 100 Charts - The Sixties (Hardcover)
Most of my teen years were in the 60's, so I really fell in love with most of the music. This book provides me with a living history of the music that was the background for those years. The chart information gives you a clear picture of the rise and fall of the greatest singles ever recorded. Make sure you get your copy .

Billboard Hot 100 Charts - The Sixties
Billboard Hot 100 Charts - The Sixties by Joel Whitburn (Hardcover - July 1, 1995)
Used & New from: $94.94