Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 20 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
HALL OF FAMEon September 6, 2003
This excellent compilation contains four massive disco smashes, one stunning piece of power pop, three soulful ballads and one great country story song. The heavy presence of disco is to be expected since this dance style still rules the charts in 1979. I Will Survive and Y.M.C.A. became ageless club anthems, Ring My Bell is famous for its atmospheric syndrum effects and Heart Of Glass crossed the boundaries between new wave and disco in a big way. Escape (The Pina Colada Song) was a novelty hit and it still irritates me, but Just When I Needed You Most, Sad Eyes and Fire are great emotional ballads that have stood the test of time very well. The Devil Went Down To Georgia is still an amusing country song with some superb instrumental breaks. Nine great songs out of ten tracks make this one of the better Billboard compilations, reflecting all of the relevant styles that made 1979 such a great year for music.
on February 2, 2004
Ah, 1979. It was the last year that disco ruled the pop charts, new wave began its rise, rap had its first Top 40 hit ("Rapper's Delight"), and every newscast began with a countdown of the number of days hostages had been held in Iran. As a 9 year old, I heard these songs everywhere, from "My Sharona" played round the clock on the radio, to "Sad Eyes" and "Just When I Needed You Most" played during slow skate at the local roller rink. I saw most of these songs lip synced to on "Solid Gold" (remember that show?), where Dionne Warwick's hair got shorter every week. I thought Charlie Daniels was one bad dude when he was talking about the Devil coming down south, where I lived at the time! Who knew then that "Y.M.C.A." would become the most played song in the history of the universe? And though I've listened to it for 25 years without tiring of it, I still don't have the foggiest clue what Debbie Harry is singing on "Heart of Glass?!" Needless to say, this CD sums up one year better than just about any other Billboard collection to date. Memories usually don't come this cheap!!! As we said in 1979, "Na Noo, Na Noo."
on July 24, 2002
I was 10 years old in 1979, and I remember listening to a lot of these songs on the radio, especially "Escape"(Pina Colada Song). It was one of my favorite songs back then.
This greatly eclectic mix of genres will bring back some great memories of a year that spurned some great music.
Disco was fading, but Blondie got her hooks into it with "Heart of Glass", which starts this disc off right.
"My Sharona", the one hit wonder of The Knack is on here, along with a few 70's party standards for fast dances, "I will survive", "YMCA", and "Ring my bell".
The slower songs are sad love songs: "Just when I needed you most" and "Sad Eyes".
This is fun album to have on and sing along with(karoake here i come...)in the car, or at home in the background at a party.
I've actually recognized it being played at clubs, between bands.
I am highly recommending this for 70's music fans! It's one of the greatest if not the best compliation album I've heard for that decade.
Eileen Famiglietti
on November 6, 2006
I always will call 1979 the year that music got close to the light, as it was the one year when the walls came down, and genres crossed into one another.

This 10 track retrospective is a good example of the diversity that topped the charts in '79. From Disco Classics (I Will Survive, Ring My Bell), to the camp from the openly gay Village People (Y.M.C.A.), to country (The Devil Went Down to Georgia), to a reworked track from Bruce Springsteen via the Pointer Sisters (Fire).

You have here a taste of what went on back in '79.

The dramatic ballad, another 70's staple is also featured here with Sad Eyes, and Just When I Needed You Most, and another 70's icon the "songs that defy description" is featured here with Escape (The Pina Colada Song).

There was much more to 1979, but this collection is a good primer.

Ken
on May 1, 2015
I bought this cd for the song "Just When I Needed You Most" by Randy Vanwarmer, the songs are beautifully remastered, also Robert John's "Sad Eyes" and Rupert Holmes' "The Pina Colada " Song, make this cd very enjoyable and easy to listen to, highly recommend.
on February 22, 2014
Great selection of fun music from that time. I bought it just for Pina Colada but easily listen to complete cd.
on October 15, 2008
The product was delivered on time and worked just fine. My family and I really enjoy the songs on the CD
on December 24, 2012
i grew up in this area. of time. i mostly wanted it for anita wards "Ring My Bell. great. great.
on July 1, 1998
Nice to have all these hits on one CD. All original versions with the single edit of "My Sharona."
on March 16, 1999
Absolutely one of the greatest summations of music ever to be recorded on a single disk. Buy it.