4.0 out of 5 stars Completely worth the $90, would buy it again!
We have had this and have been using it for about 6 weeks.

Published on January 6, 2012 by J. Moeller

2.0 out of 5 stars 1 month in - meh
Published on May 16, 2012 by sampson

4.0 out of 5 stars Completely worth the $90, would buy it again!, January 6, 2012
J. Moeller (Mesa, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Billy Blanks: PT 24/7 (DVD)
We have had this and have been using it for about 6 weeks.

I have to say up front that I bought this product direct from its own website, after seeing a TV ad for it. I had an old Tae Bo tape (yes tape LOL) in my home workout rotation, so I knew I liked Billy Blanks already. One of the most important considerations in buying this is that my husband and I planned to use it together, so I knew bouncy annoying female instructors with peppy music and lots of choreography was not going to fly! Another important consideration was that I knew we could not get Insanity, because we both have some minor knee issues from years of running. I considered P90X (we are both in pretty good shape already) but didn't like the idea of many pieces of equipment kicking around my 5-kid-and-a-dog house, and having to change them out during a workout.

When I saw the ad for 24/7, I admit I jumped and ordered it immediately. It looked like the perfect answer for our needs and limitations. By ordering direct from the website, I got an extra pair of gloves, shoe straps, and resistance bands free, and the opportunity to order a third for $9.99. I didn't, but now kinda wish I had because my daughter wants to use it!

A previous reviewer claimed the velcro on the shoe straps is weak and they don't stay on. I have no idea what she is talking about, because ours have very strong velcro and always stay on. In fact, the velcro is so strong that even after six weeks of use, my husband still sticks to the carpet! I can hear his feet lifting as he steps.

In my opinion, the best workouts in the set are the Body Blast and Combo Sculpt. Boot Camp Power and Ripped Core are my second favorites. The Basics disc is something you use 2 or 3 times until you are up to speed, and then really not again, unless you want or need an easy day but don't want to do nothing at all. Between Cardio Burn and Cardio, I would say Cardio Burn is the better of the two, but I have to admit to not much liking either one. Some of the combos are awkward when trying to do them fast, and there is too much walking back and forth and side to side. Billy seems to forget we are in our living rooms, surrounded by furniture and with limited space. We have adapted so that we do the exercises without leaving our floor positions. Another thing to look out for would be your animals. My poor dog took a kick to the face full force this morning because he got curious and I didn't see him in time.

I am trying to get us to the point where we use this everyday, but to be honest, we have averaged three days a week. And yet we still both got through the holiday season without gaining any weight. That says a lot right there. And I cook, real food, including homemade eggnog full of cream and booze, cookies, gravy, and full fat cheese. So we are certainly not eating diet food, yet we got through the time of year most people put on 6-8 pounds, without gaining any, and only using this program 3x a week.

Some people might think that only half an hour is not really enough to get a good workout. That is why the bands are genius. They increase the intensity level of every movement, and give you resistance training at the same time you burn fat and calories. That increased intensity level is why you can exercise for only half an hour but still get a good workout. The fact that the bands are attached to you, so you don't have to hold onto them, is a feature I really like. Your wrists don't start to hurt from having to hold and control a handle. They seem to me to be the same quality as what I used at the gym. The smaller time commitment on this has also made it easier for my husband and I to get it done before he leaves for work. If you can't stick to it, even the best program won't do anything for you.

I bought this as a replacement for a gym membership I could no longer afford. I spent the last year getting my butt kicked by an instructor I loved, and this program's best workouts give me approximately the same intensity level. I sweat, I get sore, and I can see that the muscle tone and slimming I achieved are being maintained. There are pushups and planking in this program. There are burnouts in this program. There are lunges, military presses, and bicep and tricep curls in this program. No one could call it half-assed. I am very satisfied and would happily spend the $90 to get this again.

If I am so thrilled, then why only four stars you ask? Good question. There are a few small things I am not thrilled about. I will detail them here. First, stretching is woefully neglected in this program. For people who know how to take care of themselves, this is not a huge issue. But I would hate to see a novice get injured because of the lack of stretching. There are a few token hamstring stretches, but that's it. Second, at times Billy stops to talk for too long, and the intensity level suffers because you end up stopped for too long. Third, be prepared to hate the blonde chick to his left. She's scary skinny and overacts her exertion level ALL THE TIME. She is SO annoying... I just want someone to hold her down and feed her a cheeseburger. To Billy's credit, though, there are a couple of people in his workout groups who are NOT all toothpicky and super-cut. They look like normal people who are in shape, but still live life. So hooray for that. And fourth, I don't find it motivating to have the instructor say, "three more sets" and then at the end of that say "one more set" and "last one" to add on. At times he will do that and then add more again! Just be honest with me about how many we are doing, because I am trying to follow you and keep up! I do find the notices at the bottom of the screen telling you how close you are to finishing helpful. They start appearing at 50% and then continue to 75%, 85% and 95% done. That can be very motivating when you are having a hard morning. Finally, if you are on carpet, you have to pay very close attention and make sure you are pivoting on your rear toe correctly when twisting to throw punches. If you don't, you will be torquing your knees a LOT and that is a very bad thing.

Finally a couple of little things that really aren't criticisms of the program, just unavoidable things that come with how the program is constructed. As I mentioned before, the velcro on the straps is pretty strong. The straps are designed to fit a wide range of shoe sizes, so for people like us who fall in the smaller medium range of shoe sizes, there is a lot of exposed velcro left over. It sticks to the carpet and picks up stuff like dog hair. It doesn't affect anything, it's just a little gross. We just make sure that the same spot is always down (which happens naturally anyway because your feet and shoes don't change, right?) so that the clean part we use to secure the straps stays clean and functional. The gloves will start to smell a little after a week or two of use. You sweat in them, so they get a little funky. Again, it's not horrible or anything, but it's there. We thought about using Febreze, but they are made of fairly cheap vinyl with some kind of lining, and I am not sure if repeated use of Febreze would start breaking something down. We leave them where they can air out, and it has not gotten bad enough for me to do anything about it yet. Eventually I will rinse them well with plain water and leave them to air dry. Cheap as they are, I have no concerns about durability. I expect them to last a long time, along with the bands and straps.

Wow this got long. Sorry about that, but I wanted to be clear and detailed. I think this program is an outstanding contribution to at home workout options. If you are really out of shape it will kick your butt, and if you are already in pretty good shape it will help you maintain.

5.0 out of 5 stars For those who are wondering how PT 24/7 compares to P90X, April 19, 2012
This review is from: Billy Blanks: PT 24/7 (DVD)
I had been using P90X for 2 cycles (6 months). I got great results, however, began to get very bored of it. It was very entertaining for a while. However, very time consuming,also if you are following the P90X nutrition guide, very expensive. A friend about a month ago let me borrow Billy Blanks Amped, and I instantly fell in love. Because I like variety in my workouts I searched online and found PT 24/7. Within the next few days I went and bought it at Walmart (which I would suggest for people, because some have complained about the shipping time.) I have been using it for about 3 weeks now, following the calendar schedule and I love it. The pros as opposed to P90X is that everything that you need to workout is included. In P90 X you need bands, weights, and a pull up bar. Tony Horton is very intense, however, I think I prefer working out with Billy Blanks. As far as the bands go, some people have been speaking about the velcro straps. What I did instantly because I could hear them starting to come apart, is putting them on and then attaching the bands to the inside of my shoe strings, so that they do not move. For me, I have found this very helpful, and because I am short it seems to give me more resistance. Another major plus is TIME. P90X workouts range anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half. I don't know about anyone else but going to school and working does not always allow me to spend that time working out (let alone those who have children.) PT 24/7 workouts are a little over 30 minutes and get right to the point. The only negative thing that I can say about the shortened time is that it does not emphasize the importance of stretching like Tony Horton does. Some claim that this time is not long enough... and I tend to disagree. I have a sports heart rate monitor and depending on your intensity you can burn anywhere from 300 to 500 calories in the short 30 minute period. Another thing that I want to point out is how much the bands actually do with the unique was that you have them on. When you take them off you feel like your arms are light as air. And for people who don't like push-ups BEWARE. There will be a lot of them in cardio and cardio burn. Also, if you don't like counting (which if you have ever done a Billy Blanks video you know that's how he works,) I would not suggest these work-outs. They are constantly counting. This is not to say that PT 24/7 blows P90X out of the water by any means, just that after a few months of P90 this is a good alternative for those who do not have the time that P90 requires. I am seeing great results!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great workout - great trainer, January 20, 2014
This review is from: Billy Blanks: PT 24/7 (DVD)
Although I grew up on Tae Bo, I wasn't sure if I wanted to get back into it with the hassle of bands, gloves, and velcro. Several of the reviews here really threw me off and made me doubt the effectiveness of PT 24/7, but I decided to take a risk. It completely paid off!

Let's address some other things you might see in lower ratings right off the bat:

1. "The gloves are too big; the gloves are uncomfortable; the gloves are made with hazardous materials..." - Yes, the gloves are a little large and are one size fits all, but they are not made for wearing to the gym or having slumber parties. These gloves are there for two reasons - to hold the bands in place and keep you focused during the workout. Regarding the last bit - most things are made with hazardous materials. If wearing the gloves was a real threat, then the program wouldn't be legal. It's just like seeing a warning label for eggs and peanuts on a protein bar.

2. "The velcro for your shoes is weak/sticky/annoying/uncomfortable/collects pet hair..." - The solution is simple. Don't use it. The bands easily clip to your shoelaces.

3. "Billy Blanks can't count properly; he does too many repetitions on some sides..." - I think that it is a well-known fact that Billy Blanks has trouble counting. In these videos, however, that was a lot less frequent. To me, his occasional error makes the videos more gritty and real. He makes up for it by giving you 200%, always looking and speaking directly at you, and motivating you like a true personal trainer. Sometimes I even forget I'm watching a video. Just hearing him encouraging me to keep going is awesome during those moments when I feel I can't move any more. Yes, sometimes he does one too many sets on either side, but I've learned to compensate. It's not a deal-breaker by far.

4. "The blonde woman in the front is annoying..." - Yes, she definitely can be "too much" at first. She is clearly pumped up about the workout and really adores Billy, who I think is actually her adoptive father. However, the worst is only in the Basics video. After that, I found her obvious excitement to be motivational, and she helps Billy (and you) keep count. If you're ever lost, just look at her. She knows exactly what she's doing.

5. "Do I really need the bands and gloves to get results? Can't I just do the workout without the hassle?" - Yes, you can. But the bands are really amazing. Give them a try, and you won't be disappointed. As a 6 year Tae Bo veteran, I found the bands challenging me in new and awesome ways. You will always get results from Tae Bo, but with these bands you will achieve more strength, sculpt, and power.

6. "I'm really out shape, and Billy Blanks doesn't take the time to explain the moves properly or do a warmup. You could throw out your back. You could pull a tendon. You could hurt yourself..." - Yes, and you can get hit by a car if you step outside. It's true - Billy doesn't guide you through a proper warm up. Each DVD jumps right into the workout itself. If you are going to do any sort of exercise, make sure that you give yourself at least a 10 minute interval to warm up with stretches. Don't rush to keep up with the DVD right away. Do the moves at your own pace and most importantly listen to Billy. He does tend to get wordy sometimes, but he does explain how to make sure to avoid injury when doing his workout. The Basics DVD is crucial - do not skip it.

I am very much out of shape. A recent car accident took me out of the workout sphere for nearly 2 years. I struggled at first with these workouts, but after a week I started seeing a big difference. If I can do it, you can do it. Several negative reviews almost prevented me from buying this program. I wanted to write this to help others who are facing my dilemma. I am starting week 2 right now, and I feel great. You can too! Good luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars PT 24/7 is awesome!, December 18, 2011
This review is from: Billy Blanks: PT 24/7 (DVD)
I'm glad that Billy has come out with PT 24/7. It's a good program. The bands really makes a difference. I know that Billy has other workouts that he uses bands, but not like these. You use the bands for all the workouts and up until the last couple of minutes, before Billy tells you to take them off and have you do the moves without the bands, so that you can feel the difference. You will notice how light you feel and how fast you are.

These workouts are only 30 minutes, but they all pack a punch. Billy did a great thing with combining his moves with resistance training.

If you are a fan of Billy Blanks and all his workouts, you will love PT 24/7. This program will take you to another level of Tae Bo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tae-Bo PT 24 7...amazing workout, July 30, 2012
This review is from: Billy Blanks: PT 24/7 (DVD)
I have done many other tae-bo workouts in the past and this is by far the best. I saw a definite difference in my body and the way my clothes fit with the first 7 days!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best workout, August 1, 2012
This review is from: Billy Blanks: PT 24/7 (DVD)
I hadn't done any exercise for months and was very unfit. Many years ago I purchased a TaeBo VHS by Billy and liked it a lot so it was easy to choose PT 27/7. I had no expectations other than knowing that I would definitely enjoy his class. Well, the program turned out to be absolutely beyond my expectations with results in the very first 7 days (30 min class). It is fun, has very good rythm, great interaction and motivation. You don't need to start like crazy to see results, just starting at your own level, and making sure you do the exercises right,it works like a charm as Billy reinforces good technique every step of the way. That's the key and it really shows. I feel great inside out and recommend it to anyone that wants to see results. It is brilliant

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Workouts, Cheap Gloves, September 10, 2012
This review is from: Billy Blanks: PT 24/7 (DVD)
I've enjoyed doing Tae Bo for about two years now and I was excited to buy the PT 24/7 from an eBay store seller last year, which I paid around $55 for it new. It came in a nice packaging box and in it was the two gloves, bands, velcro foot straps, a workout calendar, a diet guide book, and the 7 30 minute DVD workouts.

The workouts are:

Basics

Cardio

Combo Sculpt

Ripped Core

Boot Camp Power

Body Blast

Cardio Burn

The gloves are bulky and the first time I used them, the thumb holes cut into my hands. During the second week the gloves started to peel off in places, followed by the stitching breaking apart. The gloves are cheap made. Instead of sending them back I use the gloves from the Gold's Gym MMA Training Kit, which fit a lot better, giving me more movement in my hands for punching.

I noticed there are a few complaints about the velcro feet straps. I have had them about ten months and I have never had a problem, except for that they can stick to the carpet.

The Basic workout is to help you learn the moves and to get use to the bands. My favorite workouts are Combo Sculpt, Ripped Core, Boot Camp Power, and Body Blast.

If you use the bands correctly they give you the resistance you need to see changes in your body. I especially feel the difference in my shoulders and arms. I'm only 5'9 and the bands work perfectly for me. Someone who is shorter or taller may have problems with them.

I noticed some reviewers complain about the price. A single Tae Bo DVD can cost around ten dollars at Walmart or up to fifteen dollars on Amazon.com. In PT 24/7 you are getting 7 workouts, so if you bought them separately it would cost you at least seventy dollars, and that is without the gloves, bands, and the workout schedule.

Tae Bo may not be for everyone, but it works for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars 1 month in - meh, May 16, 2012
This review is from: Billy Blanks: PT 24/7 (DVD)
I'm a month into this. I already was going to say that I don't like this as much as the past TaeBo programs, but now I'm making my review even more negative because my band snapped. And it snapped in a very painful way, smacking my chest (and leaving a big red mark right above one of my manboobs). I've had Taebo resistance bands before and each time they've broken, so this was my last try.

Now, as far as the workouts. Before the bands broke, I was going to write a review anyways, and I was going to say that the bands help, but without the bands, it'd be a mediocre workout. Oops. During this month, I felt like I was getting into slightly better shape, sweat a ton, but lost 0 weight. I think it can help people get tone, but it has a lot of flaws

It feels like things were rushed to get the DVDs to be 30 minutes (there is a plus to have each workout be the perfect amount of time to fit in, but that comes at a price). Because of this, you lose some attention to form, which I thought made a world of difference in the early Taebo programs. And it just makes Billy come off a little lazier (the bands are supposed to be your form guides, and they do keep you honest, but it's very easy to cheat with them without even realizing it. And with all that, for some reason, this program has given me the least effect of "feeling it" after). He also comes off a little meaner.

I think he's trying to copy the p90x/insanity/etc crazes. An example, many of the DVDs include or end with pushups and situps. That was a little annoying since that's the exact reason I'm doing Taebo and not just your traditional workout stuff. But even if I can live with that, I still find too much of it to be mediocre. I felt myself getting used to going through the motions after repeating some of the DVDs. His early DVDs had me feeling it MUCH more after the workout. I paid too much for this :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Billy Blanks: For better or worse!, November 1, 2012
This review is from: Billy Blanks: PT 24/7 (DVD)
After reading other reviews I'd like to comment on a few things. The gloves are big because it is a product being mass marketed to both male and female consumers so it's one size fits all with the male hand being served best. My hands are normal size for a woman, I wear a size 7 ring which is standard, and the gloves are big on me but I don't find it prohibits me from doing the work out. All the gloves really do is keep the bands on. I disagree strongly with the person who commented that the bands don't make the workout more intense. Clearly you've never used resistance bands which when used correctly are very effective. I've done a lot of kick boxing DVD's including Billy Blanks first Tae Bo videos and I find the bands make a huge difference in my muscle fatigue. You can wrap the bands around your hands to give it more resistance if that's what you need. The production on these tapes is a mess as are the participants, but that's true of all Billy Blanks DVD's. The whooping and hollering may be cool in a live class to get people fired up but in a DVD it's stupid and annoying! Most of the time I turn the volume off once I learn the routine and do it to my own music. I bought this for $20 on clearance at Target and I don't think it is worth $90 but I would pay in the range of $40 to $50 for it, but you have to know what you're getting with Billy Blanks. His moves and routines are great but his cues and productions are a mess. The gloves are big but unless your hand is really small this shouldn't be an issue. I have used a lot of different resistance band products over the years (avoid Everlast!) and I think these bands are good quality and the Velcro straps stay put on my sneakers without sliding. If you're an experienced exerciser who doesn't need your hand held through every move then it's a great work out. Again you just have to know what you're getting with Billy Blanks, as I mentioned I had his first Tae Bo videos and besides being less grainy the productions are still chaotic and amateurish. However, the guy knows how to train and he has good routines and while I find a lot of the people in his DVD's irritating with their shouting and dopey "I drank the Kool-Aid" grins and I don't find him annoying. He seems very down to earth like a regular guy I'd expect to be teaching at a local boxing gym. I work out a lot and I like working out independently which is one of the reasons I exercise at home, if you're like me in that way and you enjoy kick boxing routines I think you'll really like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, October 18, 2012
This review is from: Billy Blanks: PT 24/7 (DVD)
This product was challenging in the beginning and remains so but it definately does its job in getting you into shape, healthy and improving balance and strength. i lost only 5 pounds using this but dropped from a size 12 to a size 8!!! Easy t do and not nearly as time consuming as a full workout. I bet if yu ran while doing this you would lose even faster. This was after 1 month of using the product. While I am currently same size and weight I am seeing more and more definition in my abdomen, legs, shoulders and butt. I love Billy!

Billy Blanks: PT 24/7
Billy Blanks: PT 24/7 by Billy Blanks (DVD - 2011)
$79.98 $29.99