5.0 out of 5 stars Great soundtrack for a Great movie...
Published on October 14, 2008 by M. Manes

3.0 out of 5 stars only if you get a bargain price
One persons taste in music will be completely different than anothers. That being said I must say I did not enjoy most of the music. There are a couple of songs I really enjoyed (Heavenly Day being one of them ) but the rest just did not move me. Delivery was fast and it works fine but I wouldn't buy this one unless it is a super bargain.
Published 11 months ago by J.D.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great soundtrack for a Great movie..., October 14, 2008
This review is from: Billy: The Early Years (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (Audio CD)
I got this soundtrack directly after seeing this amazing movie and haven't stopped listening to it since. Speaking of the movie, at first I was skeptical about how good the movie was going to be, then after the first minute I couldn't help but keep my eyes stuck on the screen. It was so great being able to see how a man, like Billy Graham, who had such an amazing influence on my life, spent his early years struggling with the same thing that I sometimes do, It really gave me hope for the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprises abound on this tribute to Billy Graham's early years, November 18, 2008
Michael Dalton (Eureka, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
You might imagine that the soundtrack for a movie about one of the greatest evangelists that has ever lived would be full of inspirational songs from popular CCM artists. If you thought that way, you are in for a big surprise. Billy: The Early Years is dominated by country artists--including many that I was not familiar with or had never heard of--performing mostly stripped-down acoustic songs. Except for the last three tracks, which are hymns, creative original songs dominate this release. The sparse production gives both the hymns and the new songs a fresh sound.

The only CCM-sounding song is "Amazing Love" by Michael W. Smith and Melinda Doolittle. This is a decent song, but it doesn't fit the style of the rest of the release. Another curious addition is "In Dreams" by the legendary Roy Orbison. This is not as good as some of his songs like "Pretty Woman," which have become popular in recent years. It's one of three love songs.

The love songs pay tribute to Graham's early relationship with his wife Ruth. Her own words about what she wanted in a husband are featured in "Ruth's Prayer," sung by Patty Griffin.

Other songs wistfully look toward heaven as in "Over the Next Hill," a strong duet between Brooks & Dun and Mac Powell of Third Day.

Josh Turner could pass for a young George Beverly Shea on "Almost Persuaded," the bittersweet hymn about being close to salvation but still being lost. Turner sings the song with great dignity.

"Just As I Am" starts with a choir of voices that rise above stringed instruments. Sierra Hull adds her voice midway through and at the end she alone is left singing. It's an effective technique that wonderfully reinvigorates this hymn, which has been used to close so many Billy Graham Crusades.

Brad Paisley does an excellent instrumental guitar version of "What a Friend We Have in Jesus."

I can't help thinking that the Graham family would be pleased with the artistry and dignity found on each of these tracks. I like the clear annunciation of words and the sparse acoustic instrumentation.

It's a shame that the movie has not done well. It may mean that fewer people will give this CD a chance.

I had low expectations before hearing it, but this CD was a pleasant surprise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, July 15, 2010
I'm sure everybody knows the name Billy Graham but after watching the movie and listening to the CD I learned so much about the years that led to Mr. Graham becoming one of the greatest evangelists. This inspired me to reach for the things in my life that I thought were unattainable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soundtrack, September 25, 2012
I really like the songs on the cd. My one complaint is that the soundtrack was too short! I recommend this cd :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!, March 31, 2014
My wife and I love this movie. We shared it with her sister and ended up having to order more CDs for other relatives.

I liked the sound track so well that I ordered it as well. I, also, had to purchase more sound track CDs for relatives.

The only disappointment with the sound track CD is that it doesn't include "I'll fly away" by "Cowboy Choir", but there must be a good reason why they didn't include that one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real Masterpiece!, February 21, 2014
I was shocked at the greatestness of this movie, and the soundtrack! Little Robby Benson, the child actor, has gone big-time, in a big way! The only flaw I found, (but loved it) was Roy Orbison singing "In Dreams," but not in the early 40's. I can listen to him all day. As well as Brooks & Dunn with Mac Powell, (Third Day) Alan Jackson singing a song he wrote w/Ruth, Brad Paisley, Brennden Heath, to mention a few, and ends with Michael W. Smith, with Melinda Doolittle, WOW! And Josh Turner, (Long Black Train) as Geoege Beverly Shea in the movie and sings too. Anyway, suffice it to say, the casting was fantastic. Armie Hammer, as Billy and even looks like young Billy. I never knew he wanted to be a baseball player. I never would have imagined his questioning God existed and the Word flawed. Hey, he was/is human. So many events and emotions to go through but, what a journey! I asure you, you will love it. My biggest disappointment was the end. It came too soon and I wanted it to not finish. The movie begins in 1934 and ends in LA in 1949. Actual footage is inserted various times and flows with the movie.

You may as well buy the soundtrack, because the music will haunt you for days. I can't believe this movie got by me for so long, but I have watched it at least twenty-five times since getting it. I just preordered the lastest 6 hour DVD coming next month!

3.0 out of 5 stars only if you get a bargain price, August 11, 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, May 23, 2013
Bought this for my husband. He listened to it twice and took it out of the cd player. He was disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, May 18, 2013
Peaceful, loving music. Billy's life is so inspiring. The music really matches the movie well. It will not disappoint you.

5.0 out of 5 stars billy, February 27, 2013
great cd. get the dvd of the movie to go with it. good variety of inspirational music to bless your heart.

Rate and Discover Movies