Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

Platform: Xbox 360|Change

on January 16, 2013
The BioShock series needs no introduction. It's one of the best new franchises of this generation for sure. Not for everybody, but regardless, an amazing series. Now, the whole series is up for grabs in this package, and for the price it's almost criminal to not pass out on it.

First, the games. BioShock needs no introduction. It's my all time favorite game of all time alongside System Shock 2, and it's one of those games that absolutely deserves its rankings amongst the top of any "Best of...." list. It's also the game that made me realize what Video Games are. As a former film buff who once turned my nose up at video games, BioShock was the game that made me realize I can't ignore video games; in fact, BioShock made me momentarily forget about film entirely. BioShock isn't all that perfect (as one knows, the endings are terrible, and the final boss battle lacks the emotional climax the game needed), but the end impact of the game makes little niggling story issues near vapid once you factor in the whole experience. That experience, rich with meaning, beauty, humor, horror, and so much more. I wouldn't trade it for the world. If any game proves that video games are an amazing art form, BioShock is one of those games.

Game play has always been a controversial part of the series. Some people love the game play, some people couldn't get into it, and some people hate it. Personally, I grew up on the mechanics (I've been a fan of the franchise ever since its inception, and I still play BioShock), and I've always loved the combat in this game over just about any other FPS, much more than Halo, COD, and even other sandbox shooters like Crysis (though I love all of those franchises, don't get me wrong. Well, except COD these days, but that's not really the developers fault). Either way, I go back to the game and find news and creative ways to play, so have fun and don't be afraid to use all the tools you have. There's a good reason why I replay BioShock over and over (probably played it from start to finish more than ten times), and to this day no other FPS compels me to do this. So yeah, still an amazing game, and still my personal all time favorite.

BioShock 2, even to this day, remains a somewhat controversial game in the series. Some fans loved it, while others feel apprehension towards BioShock 2 and is considered unnecessary. Some see it as a deeper exploration into the world of Rapture, insomuch that the title becomes another must play; the whole tale of Rapture just isn't the same without it. It also has better combat, as well as implementing a much better final act than the original (we all know how that turned out). Others, on the hand, are quick to dismiss it as a lazy retread of the first game. I've always felt that the criticisms were mostly a knee jerk reaction. Aside from the combat being improved, deeper, and extremely satisfying, the story itself does say some new interesting things, and touches on things the original did not have. Personally, I don't like it *as* much as I do the original, but that's not really an insult on my part. I never really considered it to be an absolute must play like the original, but don't listen to the detractors and ignore it wholesale. BioShock 2 is an excellent game in it's own right, and I always personally felt it doesn't deserve the vitriol it gets.

So yeah, so both games are terrific, but what about that bonus content? I've played through all of the bonus content plenty of times, and it's all a ton of fun. Organized lists rule, so here we go.

First, the BioShock downloadable content:

* Plasmid and Gene Tonic Pack. Includes the following: Sonic Boom, giving one the ability to knock enemies back with force. Machine Buster 1 @ 2, which increases damage towards security devices. EVE Saver, which decreases EVE consumption when using Plasmids. Vending Expert 1 @ 2, which decreases prices in vending machines.

* The Challenge Rooms. These were available, beforehand, to only PS3 owners, but thankfully this isn't the case here. These challenge rooms provide the player with the ability to participate in certain challenges, which are akin to solving puzzles, such as being able to defeat a Big Daddy without using any offensive weapons or plasmids. There's around three of these particular levels, and they are all set in different places in Rapture that we haven't seen before. They are pretty much made to give BioShock players fun and interesting challenges. They can be pretty short, but they provide any BioShock fan an interesting game play experience.

Second, the BioShock 2 downloadable content:

* Sinclair Solutions Test Pack. This is basically a minor add on for BioShock 2 MP. Aside from raising the level cap to 50, you also get two unlockable characters, twenty new unlockable trials (only available to those who reached level 41), a third weapon upgrade for all weapons, and five new masks.

* Minerva's Den. This is easily the best DLC this package has to offer. It's an absolutely wonderful single player story, dealing with the struggle between brilliant Mathematician Charles M Porter and Engineer Reed Wahl. Minerva's Den is also a fascinating, amazing place to explore (as one might expect from BioShock, obviously), the area being basically a big computer center (Think the halls of , with a Retro-Futuristic bent). Not only that, its ending is FINALLY the first game in the series to have a powerful, really beautiful ending. It's a great tale, and one that all BioShock fans need to play. Also, you get some new enemies (most notable a new Big Daddy), a new weapon (Ion Laser), and a new plasmid (Gravity Well).

* Rapture Metro. This includes six MP maps (Dionysus Park, Fighting McDonaugh's, Fontaine Fisheries, Pauper's Drop, Siren Alley, and Smuggler's Hideout), a new game mode (Kill 'em Kindly), and the ability to raise your level cap to 50 and start over again with a special mask. For those who are huge fans of Rapture as much as I am, it's actually really cool to just fire up an empty match and explore renditions of the city within its prime. For MP fans, it's simply an expansion to add to the arsenal of ways to face off against one another, all with interesting layouts to make matches interesting. Finally, the new game mode essentially makes players use nothing but MP specific Gene Tonics and the environment as your means of combat.

* The Protector Trials. Set during the events of BioShock 2, these game modes function very much like a typical challenge room. Basically, Tenenbaum wants you protect the Little Sisters, and each level is basically one long ADAM harvest run through. It works like this. Each challenge has their own specific plasmids and weapons for each level, and you need to know how to use those specific tools to fend off waves of splicers as they attempt to attack your Little Sister. Through each match, you then get awarded a certain numbers of stars, depending on how well you did due to various factors that overall mark your session and measure your overall success.

I think this amazing package makes it pretty clear this is an excellent value. If you've ever been interested in the BioShock series, you really have no reason not to purchase this. Seriously, I'd still pay full price for the first BioShock, and BioShock 2 has always been a seriously underrated game. With the addition of a plethora of excellent downloadable content, the fact that this totals up to a mere thirty dollars makes this package a complete steal. If you haven't played a BioShock game, what the heck are you waiting for? You have no reason not to get this!
1010 comments|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2013
i love that amazon always has the latest games and great deals. This is the best Bioshock to get because not only do you get two games for half the price of one, but you also get in game add-ons, that is worth 40$ for free. It also has cute stickers inside from the new Bioshock infinite.
on May 15, 2014
I'm a big gamer, have been playing since my Nintendo 64 back when I was a little kid. These two games are absolutely amazing, I could go on and on about unique, engaging, and amazing the game play, environment, story lines, characters, and other things are in the games. I'll combine both reviews, since both are very similar.

What I loved:

- Morality, this is what sets Bioshock apart from other shooters in my opinion, you have a choice when it comes to certain aspects, will you do what benefits your life but is so wrong, or will you be a savior doing what is right, but it makes it harder on you? What you do has big time effects on the whole game, so pick what you stand for. It really makes you think beyond mindlessly blasting away. It is emotionally gripping, heartbreaking, beautiful, and incredibly happy in just one instance.

- The environment and the idea of an underwater utopia gone wrong is so freaking unique, I don't know where these people come up with this stuff! The steampunk-esque environment that has really started to fall apart is beautiful, you get a sense of what was, what is, and what is becoming of rapture.

- The storyline is......heart breaking, emotionally charged, morally driven, and just incredible. The way it develops, the twists and turns, and the outcomes are incredible.

- The gameplay is some of the funnest I've ever experienced. The thought of being able to shoot electricity, flames, insects, tornadoes, ect. out of your hands and they blast off someones head with a shotgun is SO FUN! Also, using an industrial strenght drill to dismember people in 2 is the most fun I've had destroying enemies in any game. It's an absolute blast.

- It is very challenging at times, but doable. The most I got stuck on something was in 1 and it was for 2 days, but it is a very doable game on medium, pretty difficult on hard.

- The characters, ESPECIALLY in 2, are so easy to love and hate in instances, they are truly memorable.

- The music, I don't know what it is about 40s - 60s era music that makes games of this genre work like in Fallout, but it works so well and really adds to the atmosphere.

- The atmosphere, all of that combined just makes for an absolutely incredible atmosphere that is addictive and unrelenting until you've beaten the game and found out what happened.

What I hated:

- Haha got you, nothing was note worthily bad.

I give the original a 9.8 out of 10, and Bioshock 2 a 10 and is my new favorite game campaign, it almost had me in tears at time. Bioshock Infinite, here I come!
on February 18, 2013
This a great package for anyone who missed these games the first round that they came out. You're getting 2 epic games for one epic price. $29.99 for two games with $40 worth of dlc... You're saving $10 on dlc and getting the games for free.
on June 20, 2013
Bioshock Ultimate Rapture Edition is the perfect package! Whether you are new to the series or wanting to revisit the world of Rapture, the Bioshock Ultimate Rapture Edition includes the first 2 Bioshock games and ALL the DLC content. And it's all for under $30! That is not a deal, my friends, that is a complete STEAL!

The Bioshock series has been one of my favorites of the past few years and even though you can enjoy the latest installment of the series, Bioshock Infinite, without having played the first two games, it was great to relive the adventures of Jack and Subject Delta before jumping into Bioshock Infinite. Rapture, with it's cold, stark environment is not just the background, but a character of its own.

Whether you are new to the series or looking to play old favorites, for under $30, you cannot go wrong with Bioshock Ultimate Rapture Edition!
on May 22, 2016
I must admit that I do love the BioShock games, and getting both the Original and 2 in a double pack with DLC is just a bonus. I love the game franchise, story telling is unique and wonderful, The world of Rapture is rich and fully realized, in 2 you explore some of the other areas in Rapture. Lovely and holds all the WOW of the first game. It is difficult to discuss the game without spoilers, so I will say to fans of the genre, or of 2K, this is a great romp through an imaginative underwater city and a terrific for collectors. First time players will enjoy the having the extra content to unlock on their first play through and exploring the grand and strange world of Rapture.
on June 5, 2013
Then get this ULTIMATE RAPTURE EDITION! It's fantastic! if you don't believe me then look at the other 5 star reviews, they clearly outnumber the 1 star reviews so you know it's true. However, I digress. Get this game if you recently enjoyed the masterpiece that was infinite. Both games have a pretty good replay ability. Intriguing story lines and a unique style of fps shooting/ cool powers from drinking bath salts or something to that effect. Anyhoo, buy this right now it's a deal. It comes in a fancy case with all the DLCs. just click the small buy button, I know you want to.
on May 28, 2013
If you haven't picked up both games this game is fantastic. Pop in the second disk for both games and download the extra content fast and easy, then enjoy.
Great games and awesome downloadable content.
on August 6, 2014
As a casual gamer I look for games that capture my interest by story and game play of course and proudly to say Bioshock delivers! If anyone has played the first already knows its intriguing and genuine art style and for a 2007 game its fantastic. As well as its sequel. I played the first and fell for the awesome display of combat by using magic or (plasmids) as described in the game, and classic weaponry from the 50's, these do NOT disappoint. The story is great adding mystery and a dark tone, because of tragedy of a city in ruins, under water! Overall this is a lot of bang for your buck! Because all the dlc notably for Bioshock 2 is in the package and exclusive PS3 dlc now transfers for Bioshock 1 on the XBOX 360. Its really something worth investing to have a swell time, and if I'd compare these games to others I'd say they are similar to the combat in Fallout 3/NV and as morally intriguing story like any game featuring a protagonist guarding a child, because at times it feels great to be a BIG DADDY. And just witnessing these behemoths is pretty cool. In conclusion I personally rate it 5 stars and the same for Bioshock Infinte, they're all pretty great.
on February 20, 2015
I love these games so much, and I love that I can get the DLC all in one package now! The first game is already amazing, so, tack on the extra challenges and the museum, and it makes everything so much more fun. Also, the New Game + is another amazing feature which makes for a lot of replay ability! I was never fond of Bioshock 2 as a game, but the DLC (Minerva's Den) really made it a great game for me. It's practically another campaign in and of itself and made me fall in love with Rapture all over again! An amazing buy that no Bioshock fan should pass up!