5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, balanced book.
Published on November 6, 2011 by blargle

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not come with OWL!
The description and price for this book leads you to believe that it comes with OWL - it does not! Must pay for access code separately.
Published 17 months ago by B. Adams

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, balanced book., November 6, 2011
This review is from: Biochemistry (Hardcover)
I took 2 courses in undergraduate biochemistry, and this was the book used. The authors strike a balance between biology (i.e. discussion of regulation and physiology) and chemistry (i.e. reaction mechanisms and structures of proteins). This book is middle-of the line between Voet (hardcore chemistry/structural biology) and Lehninger (physiology/pre-med focus). The illustrations were clear and overall the text was comprehensible. For teaching an undergraduate course in biochemistry, Garrett & Grisham is hard to beat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-written, not-so-hot layout, November 16, 2005
Daisy Turner (Charlottesville, VA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Biochemistry (Hardcover)
My university uses this book for the two-semester biochem sequence for BSc Chemistry/Biochemistry students. It's a well-written book, overall -- lots of information but not a very dense "scientific" read. The best part is the way the authors keep tying things back to reality ... sidebars explain how the dynamics of protein folding affect Alzheimer's disease, or what protease inhibition means for the development of HIV drugs.

The figures are aesthetically pleasing and really help to clarify descriptions in the text. The only problem is that the figures are usually a couple pages away from the text they refer to. For example, when describing the mechanism of chymotrypsin cleavage, it would make a lot more sense to put all the text on the left page and the mechanism/structures on the right page. Instead, the text is about three pages before the mechanism, meaning the reader has to keep flipping back and forth trying to understand what is going on. It's like that in most if not all cases. Not a big deal, but it's the sort of thing the layout editor should have realized when putting the book together. Maybe they'll fix it in the fourth edition.

Regardless, this is a very good biochem book. I'd recommend it for an undergraduate student of chemistry or biochemistry.

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not come with OWL!, February 26, 2013
B. Adams (Greenville, SC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Biochemistry (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent improvement from the first edition, October 16, 1999
By A Customer
I have Biochemistry texts by Garrett and Grisham in both editions. First,I found the 1st edition a very bad text since the fiugures and language presented in the text were extremely vague and unclear. However, the 2nd edition seems to be much better than the first version. The context is clear, organization great, pictures are perfect. The idea that authors combine two books in one (i.e biochemistry and Cell biology approach) is nice, making this book become one of the good texts to have on the shelf. I am sure that anyone who wants to learn more about biochemistry, this book can be a good tool.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good illustrations, easy to understand, June 26, 2011
This review is from: Biochemistry (Hardcover)
I give this 4 stars because it was used in a graduate level biochem class, and it is too basic for such a class. It is a great book for an entry-level biochem class with great illustrations and material that is easy to read and easy to comprehend.

2.0 out of 5 stars A scammed feeling, September 7, 2013
This review is from: Biochemistry (Hardcover)
There are many undesirable issues with this textbook.

First major issue is the fact that it doesn't have example problems that teach the student how to solve problems at the end of the chapters. However, for the price of $45-$100 the student can buy the "solutions manual" which should have already been part of the text. So when purchasing this book, the customer is buying an incomplete textbook.

Second, the examples problems that are present will neglect to explain or show crucial steps in the equations.
Again, more incentive to spend more money on the solutions manual.

Third, issue is that there are typos throughout the book, coincidentally in the example problems and answers to the example problems. There is more confusion and thus incentive to buy the solutions manual. It's very confusing when quantities are mislabled in mili-moles when it should be micro-moles.

Fourth, ball and stick models don't show double and triple bonds in the molecule.

I'm sure they will just make this textbook obsolete with a new edition to correct the typos. Profitable industry where products are not recalled for major mistakes.

In the future, I hope none of my professors will use Cengage textbooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe people still teach with Voet and Voet, November 26, 2012
This review is from: Biochemistry (Hardcover)
The perfect intro to biochem; you will not want to re-sell this book. A steady guide, with concise, yet comprehensible text(unlike Voet and Voet). I wish all text books were this well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Balanced, September 17, 2010
This review is from: Biochemistry (Hardcover)
This book has a good mix between chemistry and biology. You do not need to be a strictly a biology major or strictly a chemistry to understand the concepts presented in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly The Same As The Hardcover Version, August 28, 2013
This review is from: Biochemistry (Paperback)
This book was being sold at my school for $280 for the hardcover version, which is the only version they have for purchase. I purchased this book hoping it would be close enough to pass for the hardcover version and get me through my Biochem course, and to my delight, the international paperback version was word for word the same as the hardcover version. The only difference I noticed was the cover, but beyond that, the books were identical, except this one was only $80. So, I saved almost $200 after shipping costs and the book also arrived so quick I almost couldn't believe it. I ordered it Monday morning after I got out of my first Biochem lecture, and it was here on Wednesday. I ordered the Student Solutions Manual a few days before this book and it still hasn't come in. So, I would definitely recommend this international, paperback edition for anyone looking to save a few hundred dollars on school books.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent text for my purposes., January 1, 2014
This review is from: Biochemistry (Paperback)
I am not a formal student of biochemistry, but I have an interest in learning what I can on my own about this subject. I have been reading this book for about 2 weeks and so far it has met my expectations to get a good understanding of the fundamentals. I have the paperback version and that appears to be equivalent to the hardcover version.

Overall, I like the presentation but it seems to me that certain terms are used before a good definition is provided, This causes me to skip forward or back from time to time. This is possibly because my chemistry is very rusty.

While I can't speak as a serious student of the subject, I would recommend this book to others like myself who are interested in an intensive introduction to biochemistry.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Biochemistry
Biochemistry by R. Garrett (Paperback - March 1, 2012)
Used & New from: $50.99