Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on November 6, 2011
I took 2 courses in undergraduate biochemistry, and this was the book used. The authors strike a balance between biology (i.e. discussion of regulation and physiology) and chemistry (i.e. reaction mechanisms and structures of proteins). This book is middle-of the line between Voet (hardcore chemistry/structural biology) and Lehninger (physiology/pre-med focus). The illustrations were clear and overall the text was comprehensible. For teaching an undergraduate course in biochemistry, Garrett & Grisham is hard to beat.
on December 14, 2000
Undergraduate biochem at my school is taught by the biochem department (not surprising). However, as a result, we have all sorts of people taking the course from prospective chemists (me) to premeds and general bio sci majors. So the dept. uses this book and it's probably the best compromise out there. Voet and Voet would be perfect if the course was taught exclusively for chemists, Stryer if the course was loaded up with premeds (horrifying thought, I know :) ) But Garrett and Grisham have managed to write a rather well balanced text (one is in UVA's bio dept., the other UVA's chem dept) with plenty of both chemical insight and medical relevance. Based on (I'm sure) similar experiences they've had teaching biochem to a mixed audience, and knowing that most undergrad biochem courses tend to be taught to similar groups of students nationwide, this is the best book for a case like that. (However, I'm getting Voet and Voet as a reference for me personally one of these days.)
0Comment28 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2005
My university uses this book for the two-semester biochem sequence for BSc Chemistry/Biochemistry students. It's a well-written book, overall -- lots of information but not a very dense "scientific" read. The best part is the way the authors keep tying things back to reality ... sidebars explain how the dynamics of protein folding affect Alzheimer's disease, or what protease inhibition means for the development of HIV drugs.

The figures are aesthetically pleasing and really help to clarify descriptions in the text. The only problem is that the figures are usually a couple pages away from the text they refer to. For example, when describing the mechanism of chymotrypsin cleavage, it would make a lot more sense to put all the text on the left page and the mechanism/structures on the right page. Instead, the text is about three pages before the mechanism, meaning the reader has to keep flipping back and forth trying to understand what is going on. It's like that in most if not all cases. Not a big deal, but it's the sort of thing the layout editor should have realized when putting the book together. Maybe they'll fix it in the fourth edition.

Regardless, this is a very good biochem book. I'd recommend it for an undergraduate student of chemistry or biochemistry.
0Comment21 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 7, 2013
There are many undesirable issues with this textbook.

First major issue is the fact that it doesn't have example problems that teach the student how to solve problems at the end of the chapters. However, for the price of $45-$100 the student can buy the "solutions manual" which should have already been part of the text. So when purchasing this book, the customer is buying an incomplete textbook.

Second, the examples problems that are present will neglect to explain or show crucial steps in the equations.
Again, more incentive to spend more money on the solutions manual.

Third, issue is that there are typos throughout the book, coincidentally in the example problems and answers to the example problems. There is more confusion and thus incentive to buy the solutions manual. It's very confusing when quantities are mislabled in mili-moles when it should be micro-moles.

Fourth, ball and stick models don't show double and triple bonds in the molecule.

I'm sure they will just make this textbook obsolete with a new edition to correct the typos. Profitable industry where products are not recalled for major mistakes.

In the future, I hope none of my professors will use Cengage textbooks.
11 comment8 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2013
The description and price for this book leads you to believe that it comes with OWL - it does not! Must pay for access code separately.
on October 16, 1999
I have Biochemistry texts by Garrett and Grisham in both editions. First,I found the 1st edition a very bad text since the fiugures and language presented in the text were extremely vague and unclear. However, the 2nd edition seems to be much better than the first version. The context is clear, organization great, pictures are perfect. The idea that authors combine two books in one (i.e biochemistry and Cell biology approach) is nice, making this book become one of the good texts to have on the shelf. I am sure that anyone who wants to learn more about biochemistry, this book can be a good tool.
0Comment18 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 26, 2011
I give this 4 stars because it was used in a graduate level biochem class, and it is too basic for such a class. It is a great book for an entry-level biochem class with great illustrations and material that is easy to read and easy to comprehend.
11 comment7 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2012
The perfect intro to biochem; you will not want to re-sell this book. A steady guide, with concise, yet comprehensible text(unlike Voet and Voet). I wish all text books were this well written.
on September 17, 2010
This book has a good mix between chemistry and biology. You do not need to be a strictly a biology major or strictly a chemistry to understand the concepts presented in this book.
on August 28, 2013
This book was being sold at my school for $280 for the hardcover version, which is the only version they have for purchase. I purchased this book hoping it would be close enough to pass for the hardcover version and get me through my Biochem course, and to my delight, the international paperback version was word for word the same as the hardcover version. The only difference I noticed was the cover, but beyond that, the books were identical, except this one was only $80. So, I saved almost $200 after shipping costs and the book also arrived so quick I almost couldn't believe it. I ordered it Monday morning after I got out of my first Biochem lecture, and it was here on Wednesday. I ordered the Student Solutions Manual a few days before this book and it still hasn't come in. So, I would definitely recommend this international, paperback edition for anyone looking to save a few hundred dollars on school books.