1,358 Reviews
 (1,113)

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great product!
Been using Biofreeze for a few years now - works great on my back and legs especially first thing in the morning and just before going to bed at night. On top of that, the price is right compared to the local chiropractor!
Published on February 6, 2012 by Dennis

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away from this SHOP MEDICAL SUPPLY Seller
Published 16 months ago by Khloe Mason

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great product!, February 6, 2012
This review is from: Biofreeze Pain Relieving Roll On, 3-Ounce (Pack of 3) (Health and Beauty)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing pain relief for tendonitis & Carpul Tunnel Syndrome!, August 12, 2011
If you're not interested in (or do not tolerate well) narcotic pain relievers, and are seeking a topical solution instead, give Biofreeze a try. Unlike BenGay and some other topical analgesics and pain relievers, Biofreeze does not leave a lasting odor on your skin and it works almost as fast as you can apply it. It is cryotherapy (opposite of heat) and it works by numbing ("freezing") the nerves in the area it's applied to. But it does NOT affect the blood flow (the way ice leaves EVERYTHING numb); instead Biofreeze JUST numbs the nerves in the affected area and since blood flow continues as normal, quicker healing can take place.

I was/am a strong candidate for the Carpul Tunnel Syndrome surgery and (for personal reasons) am electing not to have it done. However, the pain can be torturous. My sister (who works in a Rehab center), told me this product is in regular use at her Rehab Center for the elderly patients, enabling them to work (do exercises) in the face of painful physical therapy, and it works well. So I decided to give it a try and it was the best move I ever made as related to pain.

I consulted with my Orthopedic surgeon. For me, the Biofreeze gave me about an hour and twenty minutes of continuous pain relief once it kicked in. But the directions say to use the product just 4 times a day. When I spoke with my doctor about it he told me I could use it as often as needed (even every 90 minutes, if need be) and it wouldn't cause me any harm. So, that's what I did -- and still do -- and the relief I've gotten with this product is unmatched by anything else I've ever used (including prescribed narcotic pain relief!) for pain. So, if tendonitis (or something similar) is a problem for you, I strongly recommend that you try Biofreeze! It's only available locally through Rehabilitation facilities, and Chiropractors' offices. (Otherwise you can buy it directly from the company online.) But it is also available through Amazon.com -- and honestly, I've never found it cheaper anyplace else! Try it; the only thing you'll lose is the pain and the sleepless nights caused by that pain!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product! Great Delivery!, March 22, 2009
A friend of mine gave me this product to use. I had great relief after that. I checked on the availability and price through Amazon and was very pleased with what I found.

Delivery was fast and I have a roll on at work and at home with a backup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly effective!, October 5, 2013
Graewolf (Kirkland, WA) - See all my reviews
We love this stuff. It's beyond amazing that something topical like this is so effective at relieving deep muscle pain and spasms. Way more effective than analgesics, without the side effects and well worth the somewhat potent scent of menthol and camphor. It's like it fools your body into thinking it is experiencing some kind of deep muscle treatment: heat and ice at the same time. I wouldn't use it(at least not the original version...the newer version may be different in this respect)if you have really sensitive skin or allergies or are highly sensitive to smells, though. And you probably don't want to use it before going "out". But if you use it at home or before bed or during the night, it works like a charm. I never would have believed it. And my pain rarely responds to anything else. In response to one question I had, the 3 oz. version that I bought is not the newer version, without dye (color). The print on the bottle is so tiny (with my eyesight), it is hard to tell if what the ingredient I am reading says it contains Ilex or if it is something else. I think it does say Ilex but if that is a concern, I would contact the company to be certain. You can do a Google search or go to this site for additional information about the product:

[...]

So far what information I found concerns the new version of the product which has eliminated dyes, added a number of natural ingredients such as Arnica, (here is the info. it lists for the new version:

Biofreeze is now available in a new Colorless 4 oz Gel, 3 oz Roll-On for patient sizes and a 32 oz Pump for practitioners).

Scroll down past "Features" for answers to some of the commonly asked questions about ingredients in the new version of the product. (Note: I did not get the new version and would like to try it out, but so far have been very pleased with the original product. I imagine the new product version can only get better.)

Features

* Applies easier and penetrates quickly

* Enhanced and more natural formula

* Colorless (dye-free) options

* Proprietary herbal blend

* 100% paraben-free

* Propylene glycol-free (the original version has propylene glycol)

* Effective skin conditioners

* Greaseless and non-staining with vanishing scent

* Manufactured in the USA

* Not tested on animals

Q: Is the new formula more natural than the previous formula?

A: Yes, the new formula contains more natural ingredients than the previous formula. The new formula uses 4% natural menthol, as opposed to 3.5% and we've also added a number of botanical ingredients including Arnica Montana Flower Extract (Arnica), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract (Aloe), Boswellia Carterii Resin Extract (Boswellia), Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract (Calendula), Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract (Green Tea), Arctium Lappa Root Extract (Burdock), Melissa Officinalis Leaf Extract (Lemon Balm).

Q: Why did Performance Health specifically choose the ingredients above?

A: The botanicals added were selected because of their reported functions and their connection to the use and format of Biofreeze Pain Reliever.

Q: Why did Performance Health make a colorless (dye-free) Biofreeze option?

A: Some customers prefer products without color or dye and we want all customers to experience the pain relieving power of Biofreeze.

Q: Is dye a bad thing?

A: No. The specific colorants used in Biofreeze are on the FDA's list--"Color Additives That Are Subject to Certification and Permitted for Use in Cosmetics"--and labeled as "acceptably used" in the governing documents. All dyes and colorants used in personal care application are strictly regulated by The FDA for safety.

Q: Are parabens dangerous? If not, why did we remove them?

A: Parabens are used to preserve formulations and protect them from spoilage, and have been used in personal care applications for more than 80 years. Although they have a strong reputation for safety, a lot of
controversy surrounds parabens. Because of the controversy, some practitioners prefer a paraben-free product, if given the choice. By removing the parabens without diminishing the performance and safety characteristics of the product, we removed any need for practitioners to choose products other than Biofreeze.

Q: Are effective skin conditioners new to Biofreeze?

A: No, the previous formula included skin conditioning ingredients as well. We're simply choosing to emphasize this with the introduction of the new formula in which we added Vitamin E and aloe.

I hope this helps to answer the questions that people have forwarded to me. Wishing happy healthy pain relief to all!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Product works great, November 2, 2007
M. Prater (Georgetown, KY) - See all my reviews
My mother-in-law introduced me to Biofreeze. This product actually works to help relieve my arthritis pain. With the roll on applicator I don't have to worry about mess. I highly recommend this to people with arthritis.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away from this SHOP MEDICAL SUPPLY Seller, May 7, 2013
This Seller, SHOP MEDICAL SUPPLY, is misrepresenting what is being sold with picture of product displayed. In actuality, you're getting the older version which is 3.5% menthol vs the new one which is 4% menthol. I have tried the current 4% version and there s a big difference in efficacy. Biofreeze, the manufacturer told me that all authorized sellers were informed not to sell the 3.5% version. evidently the seller does not understand the responsibilities of selling healthcare products. The consumer buying a product as this one is typically seeking relief of PAIN. This is a serious matter which seller has no ethical regard. Furthermore, seller promised shipping label but never sent it. The seller offered me free product but the implication was to remove the bad review. I want nothing to do with this seller and I am not retracting this review because I hope it ultimately will help other buyers stay away from buying this less effective outdated version.

5.0 out of 5 stars BIOFREEZE works GREAT!, March 12, 2009
Excellent product. Originally received samples from my chiropractor. Works much better than any similar product I have used. Absorbes in very quickly and effects are lasting. Highly recommend to anyone who suffers from muscle pain and stiffness. I have mild arthritis in my hands and have found it relieves that pain as well. Really like the roll on applicator.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helps arthritic pain, March 31, 2012
Bio Freeze was recommended by my rheumatologist and my orthopedic doctor to help my osteoarthritis. I use it on my finger joints when needed. Also use it for any back pain or knee pain -- or pain anywhere, even not related to arthritis. It does the job!

5.0 out of 5 stars biofreeze through amazon, February 14, 2012
Joseph M Smiddie (BLOOMFIELD, IN, US) - See all my reviews
My wife uses a lot of biofreeze on her neck and back. She says thats the only thing that works for her, and amazon always finds the lowest price. I get it about half price from retail in this area. Thanks amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Only Thing I Use For Aches and Pains, June 11, 2013
My sister bought this for me at a day spa about eight years ago. It sat in the bathroom cabinet until I pulled a muscle and was desperate for relief. I dosed up on Aleve but relief was nominal, so this was the next logical product available. Unlike some products that have a strong scent, this is fairly mild and doesn't have that odor that says the user has aches and pains. Since it is a roll on, it goes on easily and can be applied topically and either massaged into the skin or left alone to be absorbed in the troubled area.
Considering the small amount used, it is surprisingly effective. It works quickly and longer than similar products, doesn't stain clothing, and it doesn't burn or cause skin redness. Since I started using this I have developed arthritis in my hands and feet. When the arthritis flares up, I use this for long lasting release.
Because I use this product often and I don't want to be without it, my sister orders this by the case and splits it up among friends and family members to reduce the unit cost of this item.

Biofreeze Pain Relieving Roll On, 3-Ounce (Pack of 3)
$38.07 $25.09