5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific for any school art department to show!
I'm an art teacher at a middle school. I show "Michelangelo" every year to my 7th graders as they study the Renaissance. However this can as easily be used in a college course. This video not only has the specifics of his life, but gives a flavor of his time.
Published on August 30, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars An excellent look
A&E does a fine job covering the important aspects of an unfathomable subject. There needs to be a piece on Michelangelo and a separate piece on his art. Such brilliance cannot be contained in one volume.
Published on February 8, 2008 by Steven Ford

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific for any school art department to show!, August 30, 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly produced documentary, May 19, 1999
By A Customer
This video wastes no time in delving into the life and times of Michelangelo. It explains the circumstances of his birth and ascent into the Medici sphere of influence. The video also busts certain myths about Michelangelo, for example a Michelangelo scholar tells us that the artist was actually very wealthy-- which is interesting since much of Michelangelo's writings to his family talk of his financial hardships. All in all this was a great video. In this fast paced world where most people don't have the time to sit and read a book, this is the next best thing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, March 23, 1999
By A Customer
This is my favorite A&E Biography. It is wonderfully well done and covers the long life of this artist in its most important details. In a time when people had short lives and no education, Michelangelo managed to achieve greatness in sculpture, fresco painting, architecture, and poetry. Particularly significant for people (especially kids) to view today when celebrities tend to be celebrated for no apparent reason and we need to bring back the Gong Show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Michelangelo biography, January 27, 2008
This review is from: Biography - Michelangelo: Artist and Man (A&E DVD Archives) (DVD)
A well scripted CD on the life of Michelangelo. It is not only valuable for the student of the arts, but for anyone desiring to appreciate antiquity. I could almost experience his pain when he painted the ceiling of the chapel. It was a great overview of his life. KL

4.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, June 1, 2014
An in depth look at the man and his genius. Very entertaining and informative. One of the best biographies available.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite A&E Bios, May 6, 2014
H. M. Neely (Culver City, CA) - See all my reviews
Full disclosure: I am the editor of this film for Perpetual Motion Films & A&E

I believe this to be an exceptionally fine A&E Biography. I worked on 10 Biographies, and of the ones I worked on, this is my favorite. It covers Michelangelo's life and work, and is nicely balanced. There are only a few on-camera interviews, though. Most of the story is told by the excellent narration. The warm and supportive musical score was provided by film composer Rolfe Kent, and the photography of modern Italy and some of Michelangelo's works is exceptional.

5.0 out of 5 stars Michelangelo; Artist and Man DVD, June 11, 2013
This maybe an old film but I received a lot of information from it and will enjoy watching it over again. I purchase art films more than any other type of DVD. This biography is worth the purchase price.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, February 4, 2013
I 've seen works of art by Michelangelo all of my life and still marvel at the statue of David every time I see it, but I never fully appreciated the artist's amazing talents until I saw this video.

I am glad Biography does not shy away from revealing Michelangelo's tormented personal life and his eternal struggle to reconcile his homosexual passions with his religious beliefs...passions and pain which undoubtedly inspired his greatest works!

3.0 out of 5 stars An excellent look, February 8, 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars go for it, October 9, 2014
always great I don't go wrong with a&e

Biography - Michelangelo: Artist and Man (A&E DVD Archives)
Used & New from: $20.12