‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute blast, May 4, 2010
S. Blodgett (Phillipsburg, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Biohazard (Paperback)
This is the 3rd novel I've read from the criminally underrated Tim Curran, the 1st two being the absolutely killer Hive and Dead Sea. This book is alot of fun. The book is a gore and apocalyptic fiction fans dream. If you love fast action featuring hideous and squishy nuclear mutants mixed with enough gore and putresence to make even the most hardened stomachs churn, then this is the book for you. I'm a seasoned horror fan and even I got a tad queasy (but in a good way). The writing is tight, fast paced and incredibly addictive. If you're a fan of the splatter of early Peter Jackson films, enjoy the horrible mutants in games like Resident Evil and Fallout or just in the mood for an utterly balls to the wall nuclear nightmare then be sure to pick this up. Just don't read it while you're eating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Ending, August 24, 2010
This review is from: Biohazard (Paperback)
This is an excellent book on all levels, especially the ending. It keeps you moving through it with great action, characters and settings. There are no dead spots or confusing situations. The Shape is an interesting twist on post-apocalyptic entities. It is a book well worth reading a second time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Biohazard, July 3, 2010
This review is from: Biohazard (Paperback)
I thought this book was very creative and entertaining. From the savage clans, the mutated rats, and other monstrosities, this book definately leaves a impression on the reader. Tim curran is a very underrated author and I look forward to reading his zombie epic, Ressurection!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Non stop kill Ride, October 20, 2010
This review is from: Biohazard (Paperback)
This is the second book I've read by Curran. The first being The Devil Next Door, which I enjoyed more than Biohazard. It's a good book, don't get me wrong but the pacing is almost too fast in my opinion. The action never stops or slows at all it seems, so you become rather desensitized to the copious amounts of gore and savagery over time. It also has quite a bit of typos towards the end. It seems like the editor just gave up somewhere in the last 70 pages or so.

it is an entertaining read however and a quick one to boot. if you like fallout, pestilence, mutants, uber violence, and all out carnage you will probably enjoy this book.

WW

3.0 out of 5 stars Started Well But Ran Out of Steam, June 6, 2011
LJV (Danvers, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Biohazard (Paperback)
The author has the ability to put together a riveting, scary story. It started off well and although it really got "out there" with some of the post apocalyptic settings, it really kept me on the edge of my seat. However, the ending just plain old stunk. I just can't believe it was the best he could come up with. If he could have finsihed well, I would have given this at least 4 stars, however with the ending (last 75 pages), it's more like 2.5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Post-Apocalyptic Gore-Fest, September 10, 2010
Let's start with this:

"He dug into the mess, letting limbs and bones and globs of offal fly... Then he happened upon a head. The head of a teenage girl. The face was nothing but fungus and corpse jelly oozing from the white skull beneath... It hit the pavement like a moist, soft pumpkin and broke right apart at his feet... wriggling in the human carnage of bone and limb... Misshapen like deformed fetuses, they wormed through the cadavers and skinless husks like maggots in pork."

Offended? Disgusted? Grossed out? If so, you don't want to read this book, but if you're still with me, then Biohazard, by Tim Curran, might be your kind of story.

It starts with Rick Nash, survivor of the bombs, nuclear winter, and plagues that wrack the country, as he realizes enough is enough, and decides to join his dead wife. But with the knife on his wrist, he hears a voice in his head, and makes a deal with The Shape, a mystical being described as "a ravenous evil born from the furnace of radioactive waste."

The deal offers protection and prompts him westward, while compelling him to choose a human sacrifice at each full moon. Joined by a small group of companions, Nash sets off on a trip across blasted landscapes inhabited by hellish creatures, all the while pursued by an even more enigmatic force that haunts their dreams.

Biohazard isn't going to go down in the annals of post-apocalyptic literature as an all time great, but it represents it's particular sub-genre well. It has more putrescence, rot, slime, mucus and ulcerated flesh than any book I've ever read. Horrible misshapen creatures, scabs, trogs, and mutants abound. There's plague, blood rains, radiation sickness and more bands of cannibalistic crazies than you can shake a disembodied femur at.

It's not the kind of story where a strong plot matters, but there's a good arc and a logical conclusion. There are several entertaining characters, a few who even show some development, but really, the main draw of the book is the outlandishness of its descriptions. The grotesquery is so over the top, I kept rooting for Curran to push the envelope even further, and even laughed out loud a few times at the extent of his depravity.

If you've got a weak stomach, I'd advise you to stay away, far, far away. But if you're in the mood for a post-apocalypse chock full of crawling, squirming things and clouds of corpse gas, then Biohazard might be the right choice for you.

Disclosure: I received a free review copy of this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tons of Gore! And a great cast of characters to boot!, April 2, 2012
This review is from: BIOHAZARD (Kindle Edition)
This was my 2nd Tim Curran thriller that I have read, with Resurrection:Zombie Epic being the first.

While I may like Resurrection better, overall this was a pretty good sci-fi end of the world type story. Featuring plenty of death, gore, and mutants, this thriller will keep you on your toes. Just don't read this book anywhere near supper or lunch time. Tim does not spare the details into each gory death. After getting hooked on his writing after reading Resurrection, I sought out Biohazard. The book description is dead on. Tim did a great job describing the characters as they make their way across America after all the nukes, and germs have taken out most of the planet's population.

5.0 out of 5 stars Biohazard- A stomach churning, literary gorefest, and a hell of a great read!, January 10, 2011
This review is from: Biohazard (Paperback)
Having read Curran's zombie epic "Resurrection" and being a huge fan of anything PA (post apocalyptic) it really comes as no surprise that I stumbled across "Biohazard" and enjoyed every single minute I spent reading it.
Of course I am always partial to these kind of novels. I'm a huge sucker for anything with world destruction, rather it be asteroids, floods, zombies, plagues, or in this case nuclear war. And you would think that after years of reading this genre I would be sick and bored of them. This is not the case, especially with Curran.
Yes, the idea of world destruction by atom bombs is a frightening one, but Curran makes it even worse with his demented, highly graphic, and thouroughly original book on the survivors of a world wide nuclear planet.
I've read some pretty dark, demented, dirty and depressing books in my lifetime, but Curran's "Biohazard" takes the literary cake. Not only is it full of some of the most descriptive, stomach inducing scenes of plague infection, radiation sickness and general violence, but it is lightening quick, moving along at a breakneck, and unending pace. I lost count of how many times I stayed up late into the night, just trying to get to a suitable stopping point, but never really finding one as every scene, every page kept me totally enthralled and captivated.
Of course "Biohazard" is unbelievably trashy, and cheap. Many words were spelled incorrectly or used in the wrong form (new, knew) and of yes it was the literary equivalent of a '70's grindhouse, slasher, exploitation film, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
Curran has to be, today, one of the most unknown, and ridiculously underrated authors writing today. And even though his work is far from family friendly and will never appear on any best-seller list, it goes to prove that good authors are out there, writing for a select group of followers who understand that most New York Times best-sellers are far from the greatness of the underground novelists.
So for fans of PA, horror, or just plain old good books, give "Biohazard" a shot. It is defiantly worth your time!

5.0 out of 5 stars S P L A T T T T ! ! ! !, November 21, 2010
This review is from: Biohazard (Paperback)
Okay, I grew up with brothers and sons and was a tomboy myself. I always thought I had a cast iron stomach but....Curran , is to say the least, VERY descriptive in this book. "Biohazard" is probably the most desolate glimpse of post-apocalyptic devastation that I've read. Some aspects of the book are there for shock factor but there are some extremely unsettling passages that, unfortunately, read too true. NOTHING is candy coated in this book, let me tell you. This is not a beach book or a light pass-the-time read.

Am I saying I didn't like this book? No, not at all. It's probably one of the best P-A books I've read. Just be forewarned that if there is a nuclear holocaust, pandemics, raging hordes of mutated creatures, don't get upset when there's not a happy ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Damn good post-apocalyptic read, November 2, 2010
IDGS (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Biohazard (Paperback)
I've read a lot of post-apocalyptic horror, and consider myself quite a fan of the genre.

That being said, I've never, NEVER seen a wasteland described as the chilling picture Tim Curran paints in BIOHAZARD. It's a fast-paced read, so prepare to lose some sleep as you carve through page after page. The whole 'sentience thing' (I won't give it away) is really unique, and I thought it brought a lot to the narrative.

All in all, a 5-star without-remorse novel.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Biohazard
Biohazard by Tim Curran (Paperback - March 31, 2010)
$13.95