Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on November 11, 2009
Interesting subject but I was anxiously awaiting with every chapter the how-to methods of reprogramming the mind. They never came! Each chapter repeated over and over again what the author discovered from his experiments as I became more and more bored! The sub-title of the book is "Unleashing the Power of Consciousness" and is misleading since it implies the book will show you how. On the last page of the addendum it gives a web address to visit for techniques. The website advertises a $22 book but pretty much tells you the book won't help you - only an expensive workshop will. These 2 authors don't want to help people, they want to make money!
44 comments|144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2006
Although I have come to realize the power of our thoughts in creating the lives we lead, I had no idea that this concept could be "proven" through science. And yet, Bruce Lipton has provided the evidence of such "proof" through cellular biology - how our cells behave & what the results of those behaviors are.

It's said that we can learn a lot from nature - from seeing the interaction of various animals, insects, plants/tress & such - and, after reading "The Biology of Belief", I can see how we can also learn much through the study of cells - how they interact and create their environments.

Much of this book deals with providing a framework for understanding cellular biology, and I must say that the author does and excellent job of making this subject not only easy to understand, but also interesting at the same time. Then towards the end, Mr. Lipton uses the information gleaned from his experiments with cells to show the amazing impact our everyday thoughts have on the lives we lead, and our environment (Earth) as a whole. He then shares how his findings led him from being an agnostic, to one who believes fully that our spirits/souls continue to exist even after our bodies have died.

Overall, I found "The Biology of Belief" to be an interesting, thought-provoking book. As such, I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in the sciences, as well as those interested in spirituality - I think this book has much to offer. An open mind is a must.
on June 18, 2006
In The Biology of Belief, Bruce Lipton sets forth a lot of new ideas that are exciting and seems to back them up with sincere medical articles. While his ideas are interesting, read skeptically since, like most persuasive authors, he bends and manipulates a few articles to further his own point. For example, in the chapter on the placebo effect in which he takes a few pot shots at the pharmaceutical industry, Lipton cites an article in the New England Journal of Medicine in which J.B. Moseley performs a blind test for arthroscopic surgery for the osteoarthritic knee and a placebo surgery. Mosely finds that the placebo surgery patients recover as well as the patients who actually recieved the surgery. Lipton uses this as evidence that even procedures as large as surgeries are useless and that the same effects could be reached by his "positive belief" ideas. Well, upon further research, one would find that arthroscopic surgery for the osteoarthritic knee has long been one of the more controversial surgeries, with many surgeons believing that it does not actually do anything to fix the problem. The study proves what many surgeons had suspected for a while, that THAT particular surgery is unnecessary, not all surgery in general. Seeing a placebo heart surgery leave a patient as well off as a real heart surgery is something that the world of holistic medicine still waits to see. So while this book does lay out some interesting new concepts in the field of epigenetics, be weary of some of Lipton's ideas and examples and read with a discerning eye.
0Comment|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 29, 2006
This is one of the most important books of the new age that will sit in my small; but very important library with other books that changed my life such as "Hawaiian Magic" Clark Wilkerson, "Zen Training: Methods And Philosophy" Katsuki Sekida, "Move Your Stuff: Change Your Life" Karen Rauch Carter, "Saved By The Light" Dannion Brinkley, the books on the metaphysical properties of Crystals by A. Melody, and Judy Hall, and other books that are special to me.

Finally a scientist gets it. He is able bridge the gap from physics to metaphysics.

You are NOT a victim to your genes. If we were victims of our genes; I would have died in 1980 when I was diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy and given six months to live.

I go back to the movie "What The Bleep Do We Know" where the gentleman turns to Amanda in the subway station and says "If thoughts can do that to water; what are our thought doing to us?"

By the way we think about our self and talk to our subconscious mind; you are given a choice to live a happy healthy life by thinking positively, or thinking negatively toward yourself; activate those problem genes in your biology.

After I went from riding a Honda Motorcycle to a wheelchair; I refured to see myself as a victim or an invalid. I saw myself on my Honda tearing down the road at 70-80 MPH, and a few months later; I walked away from the wheelchair, and about a year later; I was strong enough to go back to riding the motorcycle I enjoyed.

I do not remember who said this; but you should be able to find out if you want "As a man thinketh in his heart; so is he"

Your subconscious mind is NOT in the brain. Your subconscious mind is in the solar plexus. There is a ganglian of neurons (brain cells) almost the size of thr brain in the solar plexus, that receives oxygen and nourishment via the Celiac artery. Exactly where mystics have been talking about (the Nefesh to Jewish mystics, Unihipili to Hawai'ian mystics, and Nagi to Lakota Indians) for 3,000, 14,000, and 35,000 years respectively.

Aloha nui loa
99 comments|81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 25, 2006
I was wary about reading this book after checking out Bruce Lipton's website and my instincts were quickly confirmed in the preface where he lists Yanni as one of his great inspirations. Another scientist-cum-guru. I'd reached my limit with Candace Pert, whom Lipton cites briefly but favorably. Like Pert, he claims to have gained an important insight into life or the human condition or whatever through his research, then having had to leave traditional science when his pronouncements became too heretical. It looks to me more like stretching the conclusions too far beyond the data. Lipton's two papers of 1991 and 1992 show that immortalized endothelial cells take on different phenotypes in the culture dish when grown in different conditions. Hardly surprising now, but from this he gets an epiphany that DNA does not control every characteristic manifested by a life form. Would anyone say otherwise nowadays? That's the problem with this book in a nutshell; he keeps claiming to have arrived at heretical paradigm-shifting ideas that in the end are either trivial (the membrane is the brain of the cell), scientifically (yet) unverifiable but unoriginal retreads of New Age standards (there is a vibrational energy that communicates between life forms), or fairly undisputable truisms (how you think can affect your physiology). All this presented in the self-congratulatory context of telling his story of transition from academic scientist to proselytizer of the "New Biology" in a traveling road show. First of all, to still call yourself a cellular biologist 13 years after your last paper was published takes some chutzpah in my book. Secondly, this is more a story of a man with a mess of a life finding peace and happiness outside of the rat race. Fine, but his telling of the story is embarrassing at times. And he states some howlers regarding what "science" thinks (as if it's a monolithic institution) such as, "it is only in recent years that scientists have realized the importance of the membrane's IMPs (integral membrane proteins)." The whole long history of the field of pharmacology was "realizing the importance of IMPs," figuring out how the membrane actually does what it does. I, like almost every other biologist I know, have spent my whole career in science studying in some form membrane proteins and how they transduce input from the external environment into intracellular "awareness." And his whole "DNA is not paramount" schtick is knocking down a straw man. To refer to "scientists" as genetic determinists and social Darwinists, believing that genes direct everything with no regard to the environment, is cartoonishly simplistic. Overall, I feel a little guilty criticizing an enthusiastic and energetic purveyor of quite positive and optimistic ideas about the human condition, none of which I have any problem with at heart. But I've heard or read all of these ideas elsewhere, much better presented. He did provide good references, some of which I was not aware, and if any readers are first exposed to these ideas here, than more power to him.
1616 comments|405 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 19, 2007
I certainly applaud the author, especially one from such a science-oriented background, for writing this book. He attempts to "prove" the power of the mind with scientific studies, etc. On some levels he succeeds; there are certainly some surprising and interesting studies he cites.
However, the book is entirely too filled with tedious, dry scientific discussion that, in my opinion, really didn't need to be there. He could've greatly shorted that part of the book. Also, I can't help but raise and eyebrow at parts of the book where the author says things like "I discovered the secret of life." His "secret" is something that, if you've been involved at all in "alternative medicine" for any amount of time, you'd already know. Also, I think that comment was entirely inaccurate. I didn't come out of this feeling there was any ground-breaking, belief-shattering discovery. Compelling, yes, powerful, yes, but come on, don't go overboard.
In the end, he provides very little that you can actually do to change your biology, other than "think positive thoughts" and similar things. Again, something energetic healers have known for decades, if not centuries. Almost as an afterthought, he has a section at the end, about two pages, where he mentions an exciting new science based on energetic psychology, that can greatly change peoples long-standing beliefs, and reprogram their subconcious, leading to true change. THAT is what I was lead to believe THIS book was about. So, overall, I would skip this book and get another book that actually expands on this idea.
on February 27, 2013
If you want to learn the biology of a cell, this is a wonderful book, well written for that purpose. HOWEVER, if you want to learn how to use this information to help YOURSELF "unleash the power of consciousness", you will be extremely disappointed. At one point the author assures us he will provide that information in Chapter 7, However, in Chapter 7, he only tells you to give your children positive reinforcement - something we have all known for decades now. At the end of the book, he finally admits that positive thinking does not change your subconscious, and refers us to something called Psych-K for that. After reading the entire book, I did NOT receive the information promised in the Title.
on March 12, 2006
I bought this book because I was under the impression it had to do with "unleashing the power of consciousness, matter and miracles" achieved through your beliefs. Page after page, chapter after chapter I'm thinking..."When do we get to the part about how to change our beliefs?" All kinds of data regarding how cells work, a smidgen about how early childhood programming effects us through our sub-conscious. A little bit about how we are all one, sprinkled with a little spirituality. Well, thank God for the "Addendum" starting on pg 203 where you are directed to Rob Williams' "Psych-K" as the means for meaningful change, otherwise this book was nothing more than a personal dissertation regarding "the Biology of Cells." I feel the title of the book is highly mis-leading.
Why do spontaneous remissions occur? Why do you feel terrible when depressed? What is actually controlling your health? Why do you feel so good when "in love" or when you feel loved?

In this groundbreaking lecture Bruce H. Lipton, Ph.D. explores the reason why our beliefs influence our health. Can changing your mind change the way your body responds to illness? He also explores epigenetics, the gap between quantum mechanics and biology, the chemistry of stress, the healing force of love, the immune system and a variety of emotional states.

If you watched "What the `Bleep' do We Know" and you had more questions, Dr. Bruce H. Lipton provides a deeper understanding of the fascinating connection between how we think and the state of our health. On this three CD set he explores:

The Central Dogma of Biology
The Importance of Fetal Environment
Childhood Brain Development
Changing your Subconscious Programming
Freeing Yourself from the Past

It only takes a few observations in your own life to convince you that love heals and fear and hate destroy. Look at how you feel when experiencing a variety of emotions, take notes or write a journal. Soon, you will start to desire much more peace, love and emotional connection as you realize you can literally destroy yourself "physically" with negative thoughts. We need the right foods, nutrients and supplements too, but learning to think positively helps to balance out all your efforts.

"The Biology of Belief" is one of the next steps in human understanding where we take full charge of our health by learning how to think in ways that encourage health. This empowering 3-CD set captures a variety of spiritual and medical ideas and condenses them into a workable theory for advanced health and well-being.

Highly Recommended!

~The Rebecca Review

P.S. If you enjoy this, I just reviewed "The Wisdom of Your Cells"
by the same author - which is incredibly good!
on November 14, 2005
Bruce Lipton's extraordinary book THE BIOLOGY OF BELIEF is destined to revolutionize the way we think about the effects our thoughts have on our bodies at the cellular level. Lipton writes with enthusiasm, warmth and passion about the role of the environment in regulating gene activity, with the authority of having had decades of published scientific papers which pre-date the official start of the brand new scientific field of epigenetics.

Not only do our thoughts directly influence our health and well-being, but we are probably unable to heal or succeed without them. Lipton states, "The placebo effect should be the subject of major, funded research efforts. If medical researchers could figure out how to leverage the placebo effect, they would hand doctors an efficient, energy-based, side effect-free tool to treat disease."

THE BIOLOGY OF BELIEF really shines when describing the relevance of cutting-edge scientific findings to our daily lives. Lipton writes with such sparkling, down-to-Earth words that it's a real pleasure to take them fully and deeply to heart. And when we do, we can feel glad that the world will no longer be the same.