Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Biology with MasteringBiology™ (with WebCT Access Code Card -- Generic) (8th Edition)
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on February 13, 2012
The 8th edition of this Biology book is great. It has many pictures, diagrams, and charts that make the reading much easier. Also, it has end of section reviews that help to absorb the material.

If you are required to purchase the 9th edition- don't bother. When comparing this version to a classmate's, I noticed that the text and charts were essentially the exact same. The 9th edition has nearly the exact same content, except some diagrams may have different colors or be located on different places on the page. So, if you already have the 8th edition or can find it somewhere for a lower price than the 9th, there is no need for the 9th edition.
on July 22, 2011
I purchased this book about 3/4 weeks ago and I am very happy with it.

I am actually not a student - I'm in my mid 20's and work full-time with a house, wife, dog etc. However, I do have a passion for a wildlife and natural history and decided to buy this book so that I could casually learn more about the living creatures of our world and how they function.

I have no formal background in Biology, yet I have been able to pick up this book and start reading straight away. I have just finished Chapter One (page 25 of 1300!) and still have a very long way to go, but have learnt a lot already.

This may not be for the younger crowd (under 15yrs), as there is SOME terminology in here that youngsters may not quite understand. But for students and casual learners alike that simply want to learn about Biology, this is an excellent book. It has everything in here you could ever need. The graphs, pictures and diagrams are also very clear and concise.

Buy this book and expand your craniums!
on February 9, 2011
This book is so jam-packed with information that I had two professors use it for completely separate biology classes. Well written and organized which is really nice when it comes time to take notes and study for tests.
on August 20, 2013
if you were asked to get the 9th edition by your instructor, this book is much more budget friendly. it is identical to the 9th in every way except minor grammatical differences and only 1% of new images/charts are not included (possibly due to the information having been discovered after this edition was published).

all i can say is my professor taught using the 9th edition, i used the 8th, saved lots of cash and got a 100% (just don't forget to cross-reference when needed).
on January 28, 2016
I think this is a must have a any Bio or Healthcare majors.

I can't review with pros and cons like other products so I will just do a quick review.

I am a Bio Major and a Physician Assistant career in mind. I purchased this book for my Bio 101 class in my freshman year. At the time, the latest edition is the 9th edition and this book is the 8th edition. I emailed my professor to ask if I could use the 8th edition instead of the 9th edition and he told me it was okay. He told me that most textbooks don't change much from one edition to another. They just change the cover and some of the minor contents like the graphics and put on a higher price tag. I went ahead and purchased it.

I think I paid around $7 for this one and I honestly don't know how it was possible given the price of a new one. The book arrived in a new condition BUT the cool thing is that It came with a CD that gives you access to online services such as textbook, and the textbook is the 9th edition, practice tests, quizzes and flashcards. How amazing is that?!

I don't think I am qualified enough to give a throughout assessment of the content of the book but I don't think I have ever heard anyone complain about the content of it. Personally, I love it!! I love how well organized and easy to understand the content of the book is. The graphics explains the text very well. It has to be one of the best if not the best textbook ever written for Cellular and Molecular Biology courses.

It's been 2 years since I purchased the book and I still have it in great condition. I'm planning to keep it just in case I want to look up something.

I would highly recommend it if you just want to learn about Cellular and Molecular Biology if your professor doesn't use this textbook, which is a shame.
on June 19, 2011
This book was for a simple biology class. The topics in this book are relatively simple, but somehow they managed to put in an enormous amount of text in here. It's good explaining and there are some charts that help summurize, but overall, it was a little over complicated and hard to get basic principles from the book alone.
on December 6, 2015
I had to use this book for a college intro biology class. It's a good book as far as biology books go (and I've had to take a fair number of biology courses!). It's outdated now, but when I used it a few years ago it certainly did its job.
on December 30, 2014
The seminal biology textbook! Even though I am not in college anymore, I still keep my copy because I find myself going back to refresh. I would highly recommend to students that they buy this book (and not rent it).
on December 21, 2013
My AP Biology class uses this book. I love it. It provides lots of great examples for things. The diagrams of processes and other things are absolutely wonderful. The material is thoroughly explained, but in an easily understandable way. It is a little on the large side, but I've gotten used to it and now I barely notice the size. It is well organized, and has periodic quizzes throughout the sections and chapters that are very useful for studying and learning. I highly recommend this book!
on November 29, 2014
I plan to self study an online course using this book. From my casual review of subject, chapters and illustrations from the book, I look forward to the course. It also includes practice tests and quizzes.