5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it!
I was nervous when I bought the Bionaire Litter Box. It's a new product with few reviews, and $100 seemed really expensive, but in our 690 square ft condo we couldn't afford to be stingy about the price if it could cut down on smell. I bought it, crossed my fingers, and saved the receipt.

So far so good! We've had it for a month, and our tiny condo doesn't...
Published on February 24, 2009 by Khun Nali

Published on November 14, 2008 by D. Gil

3.0 out of 5 stars This litter box is not a perfect solution, but offers great possibilities, November 14, 2008
This review is from: Bionaire Odor Grabber Litter Box (Misc.)
The Bionaire Litter Box is a good start at a good idea. I have owed cats for a long time, and currently have 6. I learned long ago that clumping clay litter claiming to be "dust free" or "99% dust free" is pretty far from the truth. In fact I have often wondered if they are not really "99% dusty". I the past I have kept an air purifier next to our main litter boxes in hopes to cut down on the dust. They helped some but never were perfect. Then I spotted the Bionaire Litterbox in my pet retail magazine (I sell pet products) and after mulling it over for a month I bought one. My first reaction was that the base is a bit short and I was afraid the motor sound would resonate in the box itself, scaring our cats, but felt only time would tell. The unit also comes with a litter scoop and holder that clips on the back of the unit. The scoop is pretty flimsy and I do not even use it. I just put on the scoop holder on the box back (if you do not there is a gaping hole there) and put the scoop there.

To my surprise, out cats really did not mind the motor sound, thankfully. But my note of the short box bottom is valid. On and off in my cat owning life, our cats have urinated against the box walls (usually in the back and corners) and often higher than I like. I cannot imagine that my cats are unique in this habit. The fact that most litter boxes at the pet store these days either have a high back or are just tall with a lowered entrance, tends to prove that my cats are not unique, that the wall and high urination is common enough that manufacturers have taken this into account on the designs. Not so with Bionaire. I wash each of out 4 litter boxes every 7 to 14 days (using soap and water) and put in brand new litter. When came time for the 1st wash of the Bionaire litter box I was a bit miffed and cursing the low box design. Our cats has not only managed to urinate between the top and bottom unit but into the clip hole in the back that holds the scoop, where the urine pooled and dripped down the back of the unit and into the throw rug below. It was a real mess. I had to take the entire unit apart and wash all parts. And this has not been a once affair, no. Our cats have decided to do this often enough that I have to spend several mornings a week using wipes and cleaning the space between the top and bottom.

On a positive note, the air filter works nicely. One of the boxes is in a bathroom and in the past the dust would build up on everything in only a couple of days. I have always just wiped down the counters and sink daily and cleaning the entire bathroom each Saturday. For the first time ever there was no (of a negligible amount) of dust everywhere after the week! And a look at the filter showed just where it all went!

After about a month of use the air cleaner motor began to act up. When I open the box (the clear flip top) to scoop it, the fan will start to make more noise. After a minute the fan sounds like a car with no muffler! Obviously there is something wrong. I have to hit it a bunch of times to get it to stop the super loud noise. It sounds like there is a problem with the lubricant and the bearings. At a guess, perhaps the litter dust clogs the unit? If that is the problem then there is a major flaw in the design.

I decided to call Bionaire and give them my comments on the unit, specifically the poor bottom wall height an scoop holder clip hole and it's location. Their support people told me that Bionaire is owned by Jarden Solutions and I needed to contact them. I was told I can get the contact info on their website. Being smart I was surfing to the site as we talked and I told them there was no contact number on that web page, just a reference back to the support number I was now talking to. The rep looked and agreed and he asked his manager what to do. He was told to take my info and they would have a rep from Jarden contact me. I gave them my info and that was 6 weeks ago, and no one ever contacted me. It feels like Jarden really does not care for comments since their subdivisions cannot take them and they have NO way to contact the head company and seem to avoid allow people to do so. *sigh*

Earlier this week I contacted Bionaire again because the motor noise issues are worse now. They took my information and said they would be sending me a new unit. Seems they will be sending me an entirely NEW system rather than just the motor top. What a waste of money.

I'll end up continuing to use the unit for now, unless our cats decide to urinate between the bottom and cover and clip hole more. If it becomes too much of a pain to wipe it down daily I'll go back to a standard box with an air filter put next to it.

My final thoughts: If your cats do not urinate up the litter box walls or do not do it much, and you have a problem with litter dust, this may be the box of your dreams. You may want to try some non clay litter before you put down the $129 on this unit though. It seems to me that if your cat's will tolerate a non-dusty litter you can save a lot of money. But if your heart is set on scoopable clay litter (like me) then you might want to give this unit a shot.

2.0 out of 5 stars No good for large males, November 6, 2009
K. Exline (Steambath, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bionaire Odor Grabber Litter Box (Misc.)
I've had one of these for about six months and have mixed feelings about it. I can say one thing for sure, though: If you have a large male cat (or possibly any male cat), do not buy this thing. Seriously. It will only lead to wrack and ruin. This catbox will eat your Cheetos, date your daughter, and leave your house smelling terrible at some very inconvenient moment.

If all your cats squat, on the other hand, then this is a great box. Nearly perfect. Go for it.

Here's the problem: As you can see from the photo, the tray is low across the back. So that's bad -- most male cats will hit the hood rather than the tray. At best, you have to clean the hood every time you change the litter. Not a big deal; it's just annoying because it shouldn't have happened. At worst, you get leaks. What you can't see from the picture is that there is actually a HOLE in the back of the box, meant to accommodate a holder for the useless toy scoop Bionaire provides. Add a tall cat who pees standing up, and you have a recipe for disaster.

I've been putting up with the box's defects because the filter really does work, and I like the clear retractable lid. The fact that it folds back is so convenient for quick scoops, and I think my scaredy female feels more comfortable than she would in an opaque box that puts her at a defensive disadvantage.

Today, I had a catastrophic leak. When I left for work, the box was clean. When I came home, I could smell ammonia from the front door. The litterbox, it turns out, had funneled at least half a cup of urine onto the bathroom floor. Thanks, Bionaire!

I'm going to try some shenanigans with contact paper and weatherstripping, but my gut feeling is that this thing can't stay in my house. (Update added below.)

Pros:
- Filter really does manage odors well (as long as everything else goes right)
- Rollback top makes in-between cleanings easy
- Half-transparent top works well for cats not used to hooded boxes

Cons:
- Low-backed tray is unsuitable for male cats, especially large ones
- Hood has large and pointless hole in the back
- Cheap-feeling plastic absorbs odors over time
- Not compatible with plastic liners

This box could be a lifesaver with just a couple of simple changes. If Bionaire introduces a less boneheaded version of this product, I will be first in line to buy it. This product does a great job with things Bionaire knows (odor control), and if they pay attention to user feedback and do their research, they can overcome its shortcomings in areas they know nothing about (feline anatomy).

UPDATE: I trimmed a flexible kitchen cutting mat to fit inside the back of the box, such that the top is taller than my big cat and the bottom hangs 1" below the stupid gap. I attached it to the the hood with industrial Velcro, since I'll want to replace it when it gets scratched up. This has stopped 90-95% of the leakage, and it only slightly obstructs the hinged hood. The box can stay, but I'm still annoyed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it!, February 24, 2009
This review is from: Bionaire Odor Grabber Litter Box (Misc.)

So far so good! We've had it for a month, and our tiny condo doesn't smell like cat at all! Our friends are amazed that we even have a cat because of the absence of odor. Here are a few things you should know if you are considering buying one of these:

- We let our cat use this WITHOUT plugging in the filter for one week, so he could get used to it. After the one week was over we plugged it in and he has been using it ever since (and we have a really skittish cat)
- I use half clumping, unscented litter and half crystal litter
- The noise was a little weird at first, but we don't notice it any more
- Even though it may not smell, always remember to scoop ever day or every other day to prevent urinary tract infections. Once a week we completely empty the box and refill with fresh litter

5.0 out of 5 stars Game Changing, October 8, 2008
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Bionaire Odor Grabber Litter Box (Misc.)
The Bionaire Litter Box is a true game changing product! I have first babysat then ended up adopting two little lively kittens. I guess I have been complaining too much about the "unwanted side effect odors" that these two furry creatures produce. I bought three (3!) Airwicks to reduce the odors but unfortunately the lingering odors were still there. Then a friend of mine gave me the Bionaire Litter Box. That was it! Few hours after installing it, there were no odors. Seriously: NONE!

It has to be said that I was a little bit worried about that the shape and size would have not pleased them but they actually L-O-V-E-D it immediately and they are loving it ever since.. It seems to be more comfy for them and fun to be in ... sort their own cat cave. It's also easier to clean than other litter boxes I had and the noise is so subtle that it's barely noticeable.

This litter box is game changing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great results, September 23, 2009
TribecaNY "JA" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bionaire Odor Grabber Litter Box (Misc.)
I bought this as a replacement for the Litter Robot and have now used it for a few months. I love it. The design is simple, it is very easy to clean, and, most importantly, it takes care of strong odors.

I have two indoor cats in a NYC apartment. The Litter Robot served us well until one of the cats developed an intestinal problem that caused him to use the box very frequently. The Robot was very difficult to handle under these circumstances, mostly because it is large and heavy, and had too many parts and places in which soiled litter would get stuck. It also did not control odors even though I had the model with the filter. The simple, less expensive Bionaire has been terrific in addressing all my concerns and it has transformed my daily cat related routine and improved the environment in our apartment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best litter box i have used, October 6, 2008
KB (North Ga Mt's USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bionaire Odor Grabber Litter Box (Misc.)
In the past 12 years we have had between 1 and 5 cats at a time. I have used normal and 'auto' litter boxes. The normal ones smell to much and the auto ones at times were noise, hard to clean when I wanted to full clean them, and if , with the 5 cats, i forgot to clean them for 2 weeks, VERY hard to clean. We have always only had one box, be it for one cat or five. We also need to keep it in the living room. This box has a slight light fan sound to it but i never notice it, nor does the cat. The roll back hood makes it easy to clean. Also the hood is just right for my cat, he likes to stand with his front legs and head out of the box and the rest in the box. We also have 2 dogs and when the cat used the litter box even if we did not smell anything...the dogs thought it was treat time! uggg!!!!! With this one, they never even know he is or has used it. For me that is a true test. He is 15 now and I also like it keeps the dust down when he uses it, I never thought the dust was good for him at his age. (or any age).

1.0 out of 5 stars Breaks in 6 months, October 6, 2010
This review is from: Bionaire Odor Grabber Litter Box (Misc.)
We purchased this for our 2 cats when we moved to an apartment. Our litter box had to go in our walk-in closet, and we didn't want the odor in there. The litter box's filter started out slightly noisy, but we dealt with it. Then, the smell stopped going away, even after changing the filter twice as often as the "indicator" suggested. Suddenly, the fan in the filter started making horrible grinding noises. It was so loud, that I couldn't sleep in the same room as the box and my cats were scared to use the box.
I tried for 3 hours to fix it - he cleaned out the electronic parts, dusted the fan, put it all back together. The fan had shifted and was now hitting the grate. There was no fixing it, so we threw it away. We ended up purchasing a separate air filter for a basic litter box. It has worked 100x better than this box, with no smell or noise to be seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fan fix, April 18, 2011
This review is from: Bionaire Odor Grabber Litter Box (Misc.)
For those that encounter the noisy/grind fan problem. I've found that it's the four screws that secure both the fan and wire mesh grate to the plastic chassis that cause this problem. Took ours apart and found that the fan only grinds when screwed too tightly...hold it in your hand and the grinding noise is gone...screw it back in and the noise comes back.

The fix: Threw away the gigantiform screws and used a drop of nail glue on the foam guards in the corners on the chassis. This way, the fan sits the way it's supposed to with no unnecessary pressure being exerted on either fan or chassis. Grinding noise gone. Fan as quiet as the day we bought it.

Regards,
ogunhe

5.0 out of 5 stars bionaire saves the nose, June 15, 2009
jimmy qawwal (takoma park, md.. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bionaire Odor Grabber Litter Box (Misc.)
I don't readily praise a product. I waited for the 2 month span of one filter set to write this review, in case my initial enthusiasm proved unfounded. Here is the essential story: the litter box spoiled our once livable basement despite my frequent cleaning (3 or 4 times a day!),experiments with different litters, odor absorbers, scented candles, incense, and litter powders. From the day I resolved to risk $120 on this cute little spaceship - actually from the day it arrived - life has been more than bearable in the basement; except for cleaning it twice a day, I don't even notice it. I've missed a whole day now and then, and still it does the job. Stamp of Approval!

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, June 15, 2009
This review is from: Bionaire Odor Grabber Litter Box (Misc.)
i have 9 rescue cats and use scoopaway. 4 of my rescues had a cold/conjunctivitis. while they were separated in a spare bedroom by themselves while on their medications i decided to try this box in a 12x12 room with a 2nd regular box. boxes were scooped 3x day, sometimes 4. the room smelled. I actually purchased a second one to replace the open box. no change.
the cats bathroom has 4 boxes, one under the sink, one covered and 2 open in use by the other 5 cats during this time running the bathroom fan and scooping twice per day with less odor than the room with the bionaire
The entire outside of the boxes within hours of being plugged in were covered with the litter dust which the interior fan removes rapidly when adding litter. despite cleaning the outside, the thick film of dust returns.
the pan depth is to low. litter is everywhere outside of the box. One is too large for the box, went in, didn't turn around, didn't know her butt was hanging out the front. The litter scoop holder gets urine/litter in it through the open slots. hoping i can return the boxes.
i would recommend trying one for a single cat household (small female that doesn't dig a lot) if you dont mind the outside of the box being covered in dust.

Bionaire Odor Grabber Litter Box