5.0 out of 5 stars Some Like it Hot...
...and this is the perfect little heater for those who do.

Published on October 15, 2012 by NyiNya

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate, but with drawbacks
Published on October 2, 2012 by Elizabeth G. Melillo

5.0 out of 5 stars Some Like it Hot..., October 15, 2012
NyiNya "NyiNya" (It was broken when I got here...) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bionaire Office Heater with Worry Free Motion Sensor, BCH4562E-GM (Misc.)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
...and this is the perfect little heater for those who do.

We have not had sufficiently cool weather where I live to give this a thorough test. I took it to the country with me where I borrow a friend's unheated cabin occasionally, but the coolest it got at night was mid 50s. Still, that's chilly enough to want some comforting warmth. I plugged in the heater and was surprised at how well it and now quickly it warmed things up.

I was not expecting much because the thing is very dinky. It's less than one foot high (official measurements: 7.2 x 9.4 x 11 inches). But be warned, it is a localized heat. It will not warm up a room, just a couple of square feet. Which is plenty for an office, for for nights when you are nestled in a chair with your book and just want a little extra warmth. If you place it under the desk, your feet will be very warm, but not so much the rest of you, although you can feel some difference. I'd put it to one side so the heat can rise and not be trapped under the desk, or just put on an extra pair of socks and put the heater right on the desk if it was very cold. It doesn't take up much room and can feel warm without being buried up to the eyeballs in sweaters.

The Motion Sensor feature is fun, in that it somehow senses you are gone (I once married a man who didn't know I went away for the weekend...he said thought I was taking longer than usual in the shower). This is not only a safety feature (in the heater, not in the husband because nothing could save him), but also fun. You can try sitting very, very still and fooling the device into thinking you have gone. It can't find you but it didn't sense you leaving. You can almost see the mystified look on its little face, little worry lines forming, as it wonders: "Where did she go...I didn't feel her leave...did I doze off on the job? Did she fall? I can't even call out to her...what have I done? God Forgive Me..." and just when the little thing is at the edge of an emotional breakdown, you wriggle around and say "Fooled Ya!"

When you live alone, you do things like this. Cut me some slack, okay.

Anyway, this is an excellent little gizmo, very compact. It puts out an ideal amount of heat, not too hot, not too cold. It is perfectly quiet, no irritating humming noise, and that automatic shut off is an excellent feature. There is a place on the back where you can wrap the cord when not in use, although I do prefer leaving it out so I can trip over it. It adds a little excitement to the day.

If you are one of those people who hate airconditioning and make other people in the office miserable by always sneaking the dial up to 78, this is for you. If you want to warm a small area, relax with little extra heat, and not worry about falling asleep without shutting the machine off, this is ideal. And if you enjoy sitting on the porch or patio when the weather turns cool, this will keep you nice and comfortable.

And the price is right too.

5.0 out of 5 stars So quiet and warm!, October 23, 2013
I bought this for my cubicle area, since the building management keeps all the offices so cold. I love it so much.
It's a lot smaller than I had imagined it to be, but this thing packs some heat!
I love the fact that it is so quiet. I keep it under my desk, and I can't even hear it.

PROS: Quiet. Compact. Packs some major heat,

CONS: The High setting gets too hot sometimes, while the Low setting doesn't get hot enough. Wish there was a Medium option.

I would definitely recommend this product to anyone out there. M

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate, but with drawbacks, October 2, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I obtained this product to use in the area of my flat where I keep my computer. Since office buildings often are extremely over-heated in winter, the heat which it produces should be suited to those who tend to become chilled easily. I tried it in October, well before the season when I'd be placing my thermostat at the 65 where it remains all winter, and found it produces only minimal heat. Whether it will get me through the winter chill I cannot say.

It does have some drawbacks. It's compact size and cord holder are definite 'pluses,' and it is energy efficient. However, the directions cautioned against placing it on a desk or tabletop, and instructed that it should be three feet from furniture and fabrics. I was unable to feel much heat from a distance of three feet, and I also would question whether many people would have enough space to keep such an appliance that distance in open space.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for small spaces, but not a general area heater., October 17, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
PROS:
1. Small size makes it great for the office. Unobtrusive.
2. Generates surprising heat. Even on lowest settings.

CONS:
1. A little loud for me. A subtle hum. Some may find it soothing as white noise.
2. Heat doesn't distribute. Heat emanates intensely directly in front of device for a short distance. If you move it back enough the heat feels more dispersed, but this isn't a "general area" heater. It heats directly in front of itself. Maybe creative placement could help this issue.
3. It wobbles. Distracting. It's only perceivable because the power button isn't quite secure and jiggles constantly. Might just be the one I received.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but effective and the right size for a workspace, January 17, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Bionaire Office Heater is really well designed for its purpose: to heat your immediate workspace. It's reasonably quiet, which is really important in this context, and it emanates a good amount of heat to keep you comfortable when there's a chill. It's a very basic device: no thermostat, no oscillation/rotation.

Having the motion sensor is also a very good feature. The office or plant manager doesn't like it when employees waste electricity by leaving a heater going all day. This one turns off itself when there's no motion nearby after about 15 minutes.

Right now my wife is using it at her desk in school (she's a teacher). When winter is over, we're planning to use it in the bathroom in our little, unheated spring/summer/fall cottage where nights and mornings are cool all year round. I'll update this if I actually do get to try it out in that setting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, small, quiet, effective heater, December 28, 2013
This heater has worked very well for its intended use, under the desk in an office setting. It is very quiet, and very effective in heating a small space. It won't heat a large space well but it heats an eight by eight foot space easily. The first one worked so well, I bought another for another location.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet, discrete, powerful little heater, December 4, 2014
I use this heater under my desk at work. I looked at a ton of different heaters and read the reviews before purchasing and I couldn't be happier with my final decision.

Things that were important to me were that it was quiet, put out a lot of heat, was small and discrete, and had an auto-turn off function that didn't disrupt my use, but would prevent me from accidentally leaving it on overnight or something.

It's VERY quiet, which I love. I can turn it on and off throughout the day and the guy on the other side of the cube wall doesn't even know (we're friends and I used it for months before mentioning it to him and he had no idea). I also like that it cycles through the settings with just the press of a button. I never have to crawl under the desk to change it, just press it with my foot once for on, again for low, again if I want it off.

The heat is great - somedays when I'm really chilled, I get my cube so it's almost like a sauna!

I was nervous about the motion sensor in this device because I knew I wanted to use it under my desk where it's not the best lighting, but it seems to stay on all the time if I'm sitting at the desk, yet if I get up and leave it on to go to a 30 minute meeting or so, it's off when I get back. It's really effortless and I never worry about turning it off when I leave the office because I know it'll turn itself off in just a few minutes.

All around a great buy and I'm so glad I paid the few extra dollars to get this vs some of the other heaters I have had in the past. This one is really a gem!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT LITTLE FELLA - love motion sensor, April 4, 2014
we've got this for our office because of the motion sensor - fire hazzard and it works great. it's perfect size for under a desk, not taking up much space, but also bc it's not overly hot for the small space.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as described, October 2, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have had a few space heaters in the past and this is one of the nicer ones. I have to start out by warning though, this will heat a person not a room. If it was going to heat a room it would be a very small room, like a powder room. I had it running in my bedroom as I worked on the computer and the digital thermometer on my alarm clock went up only 2 degrees after running the unit on high for hours and this was while it was only a low of about 60 outside. But while I was sitting with the hot air blowing on me I was kept nice and toasty. But with the little amount of movement I made while working on the computer the device did turn off several times until I wiggled and it would start again. I can't really call that a negative being you can turn the motion sensor on and off and it's a wonderful safety feature to have.

If you dislike the sound of a fan this might not be for you. It makes about the amount of nose as a comparably sized fan would make on low. Also, I am not sure how well it would keep you warm if you were somewhere really cold and wanted to get warm, like a unheated barn etc. But if you want it for the intended use, being to keep you warm, and not your room this is just the item for you.

4 1/2 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect small heater for the office workspace, cubicle, small room., April 17, 2013
Tarunc (Hillsborough, NJ) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a small compact heater which is meant to give you a little bit of heat when your feet are freezing or your hands need a quick warm up. It is not a heater that you would use to really warm up a room. It is what I call the QUICK FIX heater. I acquired this for my wife, who is constantly cold in the winter time in her office. She simply placed it on the floor under her desk and it gave her enough heat to stop complaining about chills.... The motion sensor makes for this to be energy efficient...walk away for a while and it shuts down and does not waste electricity...which is exactly what you want in an office environment. Its not there to heat a room...but to give you some extra heat...so why have it running when you aren't there.

Excellent product to get rid of that winter chill and frozen feet/hands. 5/5 for us.