Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on November 13, 2012
I bought this board to serve in an HTPC, so the primary concern that I had was that the HDMI carry audio. It did/does/maybe? After three days the video signal from the HTPC (running Vista with a 2.1 Ghz CPU and 4 Gb DDR3 RAM) was stained red and heavily distorted while the BIOS was active, then no signal at all once Windows got past it's initial loading screen. I was frustrated because I'd been having lots of video issues with getting the output calibrated to fit the overscan of our TV.

To make sure it was the HDMI and not something else with either the TV or the HTPC I pulled out a DVI-HDMI cable I had bought 4 years ago for another computer I had plugged into an HDTV. My thinking was that maybe I could route the audio to the receiver and use another HDMI port on my TV for the HTPC, but just to be quick I plugged it into the receiver. When it started up I was shocked to hear sound. I had always understood that DVI only carried video, no audio. I have since learned that if the DVI source is HDCP compliant it will carry sound. I guess this board is HDCP compliant.

So, now the system runs fine, the video stays calibrated properly (XBMC calibration is a separate issue) and everything works.

It gets 3 stars because if the main reason I bought the board breaks within a week of purchase, that's not good. I was lucky that I had a DVI-HDMI cable just lying around unused (my wife no longer questions why I have a box full of every spare/extra cord I've over obtained) - another person might not have been so lucky. And if the MoBo breaks after everything is installed, what am I supposed to do with the CPU/RAM/etc... while I ship the board back for replacement?

To be fair, this isn't the first Biostar board I've ever bought, the other one was, if I remember correctly, a decent board. This one was disappointing.
on November 26, 2012
Searching for a good FM1 motherboard, and any nowadays really, is like a minefield. Each motherboard has a portion of people who got faulty units, or had something seriously wrong with them. Looking at those reviews makes you not want to buy a board at all and just stick with what you've got... But when I started comparing features between various motherboards, ignoring the few that got bad units, I found that this was the best value for money at the time. The UEFI bios and USB3 are very good, although some of the additional features are a bit half baked. For example, in order to boot off a USB drive in order to use a Windows 7 recovery disc I had to go into "legacy boot order" and set the non-UEFI boot option of the flash drive (there's UEFI and non-UEFI) to be the first boot device, then set that partition as the primary boot device on the regular list of boot devices. It took me about an hour and a half to figure this out at 1:00 in the morning...
Additionally, I was never able to overclock my Kinsgton Hyperx RAM to 1600 mhz, it kept reverting to 1333. I haven't tried the T-overclocker software, but bio-remote is a bit sketchy to say the least. While it's fun to play around with for about three minutes, you soon realize it's absolutely pointless. The only random piece of software this came with that I though was interesting was the tool that allows you to change the bios boot screen. This allowed me to plaster the same annoying picture of Haruhi Suzymiya throughout every layer of my computer from startup to login.
Overall, if you can get this board at a decent price, and you want to build a cheap HTPC like I was, I would recommend this board as long as you know its limitations and quirks.
on December 23, 2012
Just the size and features i needed for two projects. With 8 GB of memory and Windows Home Server 2011 i made a nice home server for my small business; then with another if this cards and 16gb or memory i made a Windows 8 64-bit PC that runs sooo great after installing a nVidia GTX 660.

PROS:
4 dims for memory
Sata III
USB 3
Small m-ATX size.

CONS:
Well, ppl say the FM1 socket is dead... still this works for my needs.
on December 27, 2011
Great motherboard so far, easy to install and sturdy. Has both DVI and HDMI which is handy. Bit short of expansion slots if you wanted to use it for gaming but the chipset is fast, has the latest SATA and enough USB 3.0 ports to sink a battleship. Including internal onboard headers which, if you buy it with a SilverStone Aluminum/Steel Micro ATX Media Center/HTPC Case ML03B (Black) or similar case that has USB 3.0 ports, can allow you to use USB 3.0 device plugged in to the front of your case. Sound card works great as well. Using it as a HTPC with a Hauppage card in the PCIe x1 spot and an A6-3650. Works great and set up was super easy.

Cons: One gripe is the placement of the SATA ports on the end of the board makes tight cases a bit hairy to mess with but most boards have it there so that shouldn't be held too much against this board in particular. I also have not been able to find how to allocate RAM specifically for the on-chip GPU in the A-series (currently the only processors that fit the FM1 socket) within the snazzy BIOS but otherwise the BIOS is pretty good. The final problem may have everything to do with my particular set up: If I allow windows to determine when it sleeps from inactivity it detects inactivity and sleeps just fine but it wakes up consistently a certain period of time after it sleeps no matter if the mouse or anything else has been altered. That can get annoying as it sends a pop through the speakers when it wakes up and such. Final con is that the HD access light on the front is rather bright blue which is not a big deal when it's constant but blinking in the dark gets to look a bit like a police car.

TL;DR: Great board, has lots of useful ports that make it adaptable to a variety of situations. Watch out for strange sleeping behavior but that may very well be my set up and not the fault of this board.
on August 1, 2012
I like it. Nice layout, fired up on the first time.

My only issue is that I am finding it impossible to get it to recognize the ram frequency at 1600 rather than 1333. I'm not a whiz at this stuff, but I've thought that changing it manually in the O.N.E. menu in the bios would do it. While it's still manually changed to 1600 in the O.N.E. menu, the bios homepage still says it's running at 1333. Pretty annoying! Not the biggest deal in the world, but enough to take off a couple stars and make this board just OK for me.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2012
Great price for the money ,love that it has everything I need on a small board,HDMI and it is fast
on February 9, 2012
This mother board was purchased for HTPC build. I liked the feature set at this price point.
Could not het the bio remote to work on my phone, maybe holding my mouth wrong.
Overal good product, no problems.