4.0 out of 5 stars Nice choice for our "charity build" PC
I suspect that not terribly many people will be seeking to build a socket AM2/AM2+/DDR2/VGA-out pc by now, but for those that may still have use for a motherboard of this nature I want to assure you that I was satisfied by this Biostar N68S+ for our purposes. The unit reviewed was purchased here at Amazon (for a system I built), though not via my own account...
Published on December 12, 2010 by 92Hotel

2.0 out of 5 stars Woopsies
I didn't realized this only worked with CPU's with 95Watts or less and mine had 125Watts so poor part on my end.
Published on July 24, 2012 by Kevin

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice choice for our "charity build" PC, December 12, 2010
This review is from: Biostar AMD Motherboard N68S+ (Personal Computers)

A neighbor and I found ourselves in a position to help out an Army Veteran of 18 years service who wanted his first PC, but was not able to afford one in his present situation. For the paste 2 years I've been using an AMD Athlon X2 5400+ Black edition CPU, and as I was about to upgrade to X4 anyway, it made sense to go ahead with it and make mine available to the charity build. At 89 watts consumption, the 5400+ made optimum use of this Biostar board. (note: this board does although support up to a Phenom II X4 Processor according to Biostar)

Components:
AMD Athlon X2 5400+ Black Edition CPU
Antec Earthwatts 430 watt PSU
Asus CD/DVD burner (pretty generic, new unit, only cost a few bucks as a combo buy bonus online)
A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
160gb Seagate IDE hdd @ 7200rpm
Cooler Master Hyper 101A Heat-Pipes Direct Contact CPU Cooler (also from Amazon)
Windows XP (this board supports Windows XP/Vista /7)

Rounded out with a new MS optical mouse, a surplus generic HP keyboard, generic mid tower case, low mileage Dell monitor and Labtec speakers and you get the idea. It's no monster system, but for this user who wants to get around on the internet and enjoy some basic media it will be fine. With a mainstream video card and RAM upgrade it wouldn't be a bad budget gamer for a couple of years either.

Be aware that the compact dimensions of this micro-atx board place the DIMM slots close enough to the cpu socket that some large cpu coolers could possibly not fit well. I only mention this after reading that another user of this board had to switch coolers for this reason, but for reference, the Cooler Master Hyper 101A that I listed above was no problem at all, and using only 2 side vent 80mm fans in this case I didn't see idle temps exceed 41c.

The installation was no problem. Biostar includes a quick setup diagram that will have most any info at hand that an experienced user will need to build, and the full manual is in PDF on the driver/software disk. As you can see, I did not use 1066 ram, but another user reported successfully using 4gb of 1066 after a BIOS update.

Aside from this motherboard, the only new parts costs to us in this project were the A-Data RAM and the cpu cooler. I wish I could say that money was no object, but to keep the total build price to around a hundred bucks we opted for now to use only the 2x1GB A-Data RAM as listed. After installing chipset drivers the system loaded XP quickly and ran smoothly, although the RAM would be the obvious place to upgrade, especially if using Windows 7. A SATA hard drive would be nice also, but I can report that the IDE support was no problem. Likewise, running USB off of one of the headers to the front panel worked great. The RJ-45 Port was also used successfully when I briefly used my dsl to activate Windows and install a few updates.

Using VLC player, the system played DVD beautifully. I associated audio files with Foobar 2000, also with fine performance. The NVIDIA GeForce 7025 GPU chipset is a few years old, but decently rated and seems to run cool. By the way, I like the included version of REALTEK audio GUI much better than the older one on my own motherboard. When connecting to the VGA cable, I did feel that caution should be used to not exert too much lateral pressure on this little motherboard.

My 4 star rating of this unit is based upon my satisfactory experience in filling this particular need of an AM2 socket based system with onboard video and IDE support. For this purpose I would actually have given it 5 stars but for one POTENTIALLY VITAL REASON! The Biostar quick setup document states that you must not discard the CPU socket protection cap as it is required for RMA, but our unit DID NOT INCLUDE THIS ITEM! Any of us with years of PC hardware experience can attest that even a good manufacturer sometimes churns out some bad units, so I consider it somewhat of a black eye to Biostar to add this worry to my experience.

Regardless of that one rub, we are all very pleased with the performance of this build, and thanks to Amazon for giving it to us a couple of bucks cheaper than elsewhere.

2.0 out of 5 stars Woopsies, July 24, 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Biostar AMD Motherboard N68S+ a good board!, October 4, 2012
This review is from: Biostar AMD Motherboard N68S+ (Personal Computers)
This N68S+ Biostar is a good board for a low end computer or as a replacement for many Top Brand Computers who use this type of board in their low end computers. The price is good and it is easy to set and tweak. I bought two of these boards. Thanks Amazon for providing a good board with a low cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent motherboard for my second pc build, September 1, 2012
Emmanuel Almonte (Dominican Republic) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Biostar AMD Motherboard N68S+ (Personal Computers)
I was looking a DDR2 motherboard to build my second pc because I have my old 80GB IDE hard drive, Athlon II X2 245 processor and 2GB DDR2 800Mhz memory, and I go for this one just for 49.81 (refurbish) with shippind and handling from Outlet PC.

I just plugged all to the board and it's working very well with Windows XP SP3 (the mobo supports Windows 7) but this pc is for my mother. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 19, 2014